Lumbar pressure

Craftydoc

FNG
Looking for a little bit of guidance. I've tried a few different packs and have been having a tough time getting anything to work and fit comfortably. Most packs I've tried were ok with 20-30# in them, but have had a ton of trouble north of 50-60.
Most recently, tried a Kifaru Kutthroat, both semi/straight and curved stays. Had a lot of pressure on my sacrum with the straight, and a lot of lumbar pressure with the curved.
Prior to that, had a Kuiu pro suspension that tried to break my back anywhere north of 40#.
And before that, had a Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT that slid down my hips even with 25#.
I'm 6'0", 200# with an athletic build and a curve in my lower back that I can fit my forearm about half way up my forearm between my back and the wall.
Little more information...I've had a few disc herniations at L5-S1. I'm sure that's playing a role in the situation as well.
I know I can't be the only one out there that's had this issue. If anyone has had experience with this, I'd be very interested to hear what their solution has been or if anyone has any suggestions.

Drenalin

WKR
I have a little different build than you (about 20 pounds heavier, not so much curve), so take this for what it's worth. With my Exo pack, removing shims from the lumbar pad solved the pressure issue. I didn't get any pressure with MR, but I also disliked it so much that I immediately sold it an moved on, so didn't load any real weight in it. With the newest KUIU setup, I couldn't make the lumbar pressure go away and it was bad. I think I've settled on Seek Outside now, with no lumbar pad. Once I adjusted the torso length on the SO, it felt like it was made for my body.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not being salesy here, but our packs (Seek Outside) would be worth a try simply because they work very differently from a belt / frame standpoint than what you've tried.

zacattack

WKR
Looking for a little bit of guidance. I've tried a few different packs and have been having a tough time getting anything to work and fit comfortably. Most packs I've tried were ok with 20-30# in them, but have had a ton of trouble north of 50-60.
Most recently, tried a Kifaru Kutthroat, both semi/straight and curved stays. Had a lot of pressure on my sacrum with the straight, and a lot of lumbar pressure with the curved.
Prior to that, had a Kuiu pro suspension that tried to break my back anywhere north of 40#.
And before that, had a Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT that slid down my hips even with 25#.
I'm 6'0", 200# with an athletic build and a curve in my lower back that I can fit my forearm about half way up my forearm between my back and the wall.
Little more information...I've had a few disc herniations at L5-S1. I'm sure that's playing a role in the situation as well.
I know I can't be the only one out there that's had this issue. If anyone has had experience with this, I'd be very interested to hear what their solution has been or if anyone has any suggestions.
Kifaru bent me some super flat aluminum stays that helped, you can bend these as well yourself unlike the composite stats. I don’t have disc herniations but I’ve had a bulging disk and other lower back problems. Apparently my back is super flat. Calling them might be worth a shot.

OP
C

Craftydoc

FNG
I did work with Kifaru, and they were great. They didn't however explore the aluminum stays with me as an option. I just felt that the lumbar pad was just a little too aggressive for my situation.

OP
C

Craftydoc

FNG
Not being salesy here, but our packs (Seek Outside) would be worth a try simply because they work very differently from a belt / frame standpoint than what you've tried.
I think Seek might be the next option I try. My biggest issue with it right now is timing. I can't really wait 2+ months to get a pack that may or may not work. The season is kicking off and would be almost over by the time I would have a pack in hand that I don't know whether or not it will work.