Lunched out of Trinidad Ca.............

So , I have been closely watching the marine conditions for weeks up here in the real Northern Ca. ; ) I see a good window ( less than 6 ft seas ) The frocast was for 3ft at 6 seconds apart . Very good conditions. I make a bunch of last minute calls to some of my dudes. I have 2 former co-workers ready to go . Neither have ever fished the ocean. I usually want "one" guy on the deck who is a bit seasoned on the ocean . I know these guys and know that they have the mechanical aptitude AND the WANT to do it ! . My big plan is to set crab pots , hit some rocks and reefs to sack up some rock fish..... all the while listening to radio chatter for people who are targeting salmon . The salmon have been kind of elusive in northern Humboldt . I want Cod in the box and then maybe some crab so that we can all go home with some meat . Salmon could be icing on the cake .
We get the boat in the water at Trinidad Harbor after a big line of boats ahead of us. This launch requires them to hoist your boat off of the trailer and onto a trolley which rolls the boat down into the ocean . It was almost an hour to wait through the line of boaters. Apparently we were not the only people who read the marine frocast. Trinidad is arguably the prettiest port in California . It absolutely is to me . Some great eateries near-by too !! ( Another topic ! )
We set our crab pots in about a 3 mile line and head to the cod grounds. The marine conditions were not as good as predicted. I could tell that one of the crew ( Coy) was not feeling very well about halfway up on our 8 mile northern run. We did a little searching for fish on a new area that I had heard about with dismal results . We then headed for some old way-points where I had killed some good fish before. . When we got to that spot we started banging the deck with fish . In the middle of filling our 30 fish limit , the other guy ( Luke ) finally had to empty his guts into the water also. I admit I was feeling a bit woozy too but tried to keep us on fish. Both of these guys stuck with it and got fish on the deck when many would have given up ! We got our limits of "Blacks" and we then did a spot check on a couple of crab pots . LOTS of crab ! But mostly undersized. We repositioned a few pots re-loaded with some fresh bait and headed for the calm waters of Trinidad Port for some calm and lunch . The cod averaged 3-5 lbs ....some 6# some 2#. Plenty.
The salmon chatter sounded like only one salmon per boat out there . It sounded like everyone pretty much gave up on salmon at that point. The ocean was a bit too lumpy for us to go out and search areas that have already been searched for salmon . We had lunch , got our guts calmed down and pulled up our crab pots then called it a day in the early afternoon. A total of 23 Dungeness for us to split up . A good day of killin meat in my book. .

Now starting to fling some arrows along with the wife who just got her new bow ; ) We are seeing velvet bucks here in B zone now as well as some bear.

BOW

Attachments

• trin21-4.jpg
    trin21-4.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 115
  • trin21-3.jpeg
    trin21-3.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 98
  • trin21-1.jpeg
    trin21-1.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 96
  • trin crab.jpeg
    trin crab.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20190503_091206.jpg
    20190503_091206.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 114
  • mels 2020 buck.jpeg
    mels 2020 buck.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 115
OP
Bigolwiggler
Remind me where you are from Bubblehide ......... not that it matters at all.

OP
Bigolwiggler
Did you know Dungeness Crab season up there closed Friday July 30?
Actually crab closed on the 31st . All of this carnage happened on the 29th : ) I'm just slow in posting . Getting old ; ) Glad you are watching out for all of us ; ) Keeping us out of trouble . DFW was THICK out there . I do it by the book brother ; ) Glad you posted your reply on totally SOCIAL l media. I hope it earns you some good guvnment points..... I am by the book Komrade San Fran Jakey . . Hope you are well there in S. F . ,.............. BOW

Last edited:
OP
Bigolwiggler
Lighten up, you posted the report on social media about crabs out of season, not me. I pointed it out. And it closed Friday July 30.
Did you get any abalone? 😂
You assumed a lot . I have to come home and WORK . I can not always post the same same day that I kill stuff. You should lighten up and not assume things and then post your assumptions here . I know the laws . My father was a DFG biologist and he taught me to play by the rules ALWAYS . Crab CLOSED on JULY 31st . Ita always goes through the END of July . Check my photo dates . The photos actually happened on Wed , July 28 . Im getting old .... I have a regular job and can not always post the day that it happens . .... I hope you can fill your freezer this year .... I do every year LEGALLY . Hope you can harvest some stuff off the streets of S.F. for yourself There are actually some great harvests off of the coast there. Not from the sidewalks there though.
Yummy . BOW

OP
Bigolwiggler
Lighten up, you posted the report on social media about crabs out of season, not me. I pointed it out. And it closed Friday July 30.
Did you get any abalone? 😂
BTW I used to dive for Abalone. It got too restrictive because of poachers who illegally sold Abalone on the streets of S.F. I have not eaten Abalone for over 8 years because of this crap . I eat lots of legal venison and bear and cod and crab now . Oh and wild veggies from the woods here ...... WHILE it is still legal to do so because of S.F. voters !!! : / BOW

Ty619

FNG
Way to get after it BOW. Just remember, every site has THAT GUY🤙🏻 lower Went out on my outboard, just got it dialed back in.. Yellowfin, bluefin, yellowtail and dorado for me this weekend. Packin dips an rippin lips🤣

OP
Bigolwiggler
I will just sum it up . Me and my buddies had a GREAT time , getting limits of cod, catching some very tasty crab off of our beautiful Kaliforniastan coast .... and doing it all legally ! What a beautiful day !!!!! We will always have someone who thinks it not cool to legally eat wild meat . Please Remember THIS ...... Broccoli and Kale and Spinach plants have feelings too !! ; ) LOL......... BOW

OP
Bigolwiggler
Hey ... just to stop all of this weird stuff . Had a good fishing trip .... caught some good fish and crab . Starting to tune up our bows for Blacktail deer and bear . Eating fish tacos tonight . I wish everyone a great season . Hunt legal and ethical . Pay no mind to people who assume that you dont ! Fill Your Freezer ! Love Life !
BOW

What did you catch that deer on?

Seriously, awesome. I wish I could get after some seafood like that.