Luxe Hercules

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking hard at getting a Luxe Megahorn for 2 person car camping with cots and stove this year. We may have a third now, and eventually I know I will need it on a similar 4 person trip. The Megahorn definitely won't work for that.

Do any of you have experience with the Luxe Hercules?

Also, what others do you recommend that meet these criteria?

I gave a lot of thought to a canvas outfitter tent, but ideally I want something that goes up and down a little quicker/easier.

My buddy and I have a 10x12 Kodiak canvas but it has some miles on it and he will be using it then. I am not opposed to going that route, but want to see what else is out there.

I would like to keep the cost of the shelter below $800, but we'll see where that gets me.

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot the link:

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
I was hoping someone would respond to your post. I looked at these hard but went a different direction. Look closely at the specs for this tent. It is 10' x 12'. I thought for car camping (UTV actually) I wanted more room. I have nothing but good to say about Luxe tents generally and specifically their customer service. I got almost immediate responses to my emails even after hours and on weekends. I would email them with your requirements and see what they recommend. Maybe there is something better. I ended up with a 12 man S.O. tipi and XL stove (from the classifieds here) for my needs and couldn't be happier. Good luck in your search!

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! Yeah, I saw the specs and it will be tight 3 cots and a stove. I don't know that 4 cots and a stove would work. You are right about Luxe responding to emails. Everytime I've emailed them I got a response within minutes.

One of the larger tipi's would be ideal. I need to just find one for the right price.

Hopefully someone can help you out with actual first hand experience with this tent. I looked long and hard at this model and was very close to pulling the trigger. They seem like a great product from a company that is known for quality. I didn't like the funky stove pipe. I feel like that is a disaster waiting to happen in the wind (and there is no escaping it in a lot of the places I hunt). I liked the half floor option but I could tell my wife wasn't too thrilled. I have a SO cimarron and where I see functional and lightweight she sees bugs and dirt (so she ruled out a SO 12-man immediately).

We ended up purchasing an Arctic Oven 10 when they had their big sale in April. It has been awesome. No condensation and it warms up in about 30 seconds when its time for my wife to feed our baby in the middle of the night. The vertical walls make it a true 10x10 tent and it wouldn't be a problem fitting 3 cots and a stove in it. The weight sucks, but I figure it will only get used car camping or when I'm going to moose/bear camp and then we fly in a Beaver so weight is a non-issue. If you are looking for ease, they just came out with a single pole Arctic Oven that will ship in July. The single pole saves about 20 pounds but you lose the vestibule. The price requires a little more saving but I think it was worth it.

Sorry I'm not much help, but as someone who was looking in the same direction as you were, I figured I would chime in about what I found that was similar.

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
I owned a Megahorn for a year. Great tent. The owner of Luxe was great to deal with. Very helpful. Have you tried reaching out to talk to them? I don't have any experience with their Hercules though. If I had $800 to spend on a car camping tent, I'd go with a 6 man tipi from Seek Outside. Right at your price point. Might have to find a pole for an added cost to you. But, it would fit the bill. Large enough for 3, plus you could run a stove and have some extra room as well. Can't beat SO quality either. Hope this helps, and good luck!

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I did email him today. He felt like 3 cots with a stove would be fine but 4 maybe too much.

I was looking hard at getting a Luxe Megahorn for 2 person car camping with cots and stove this year. We may have a third now, and eventually I know I will need it on a similar 4 person trip. The Megahorn definitely won't work for that.

Do any of you have experience with the Luxe Hercules?

Also, what others do you recommend that meet these criteria?

I gave a lot of thought to a canvas outfitter tent, but ideally I want something that goes up and down a little quicker/easier.

My buddy and I have a 10x12 Kodiak canvas but it has some miles on it and he will be using it then. I am not opposed to going that route, but want to see what else is out there.

I would like to keep the cost of the shelter below $800, but we'll see where that gets me.

The canvas outfitter tents aren’t that hard to set up - at least in my experience.

I have a 12x14 Davis with the traditional poles instead of the frame. I can have it up in 15-20 minutes by myself. I think the internal frame would take a lot longer and be more cumbersome.

I’d also take a look at wall tent shops tents as well. I think you could get a 10x10 or 12x12 for around that price.

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
After a few emails with Luxe, they got me squared away. They have a Megahorn XL coming soon that I think will be the way to go. 4 cots and a stove may not be feasible, but I have decided that in my budget, nothing really will be.