Luxe Megahorn Tipi

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about the Luxe Megahorn 4P tipi shelter? I was thinking about ordering one but wanted some reviews.

mlgc20

WKR
I was very interested in Luxe at one point. Then I ready their return policy and searched for them on this forum. Made it an easy decision to pass on them. If you look around (most the Sleep Systems section) you will find that they do not have a good reputation here.

OP
N

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your reply.

I just searched Luxe in the sleep system section and it looks like their is a lot of info for me to read

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Idk man i bought the MegaHorn and after 3 back country hunts some in November I am totally satisfied. The only negative thing I’d say is the weight of the overall setup. If you have the cash flow I’d go Kifaru or SO for tipis if you don’t I think the cost savings is worth the purchase.

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
I had one for a season and it was ok. I think they fill a niche for being more affordable. The fabric they use is not rip-stop though. That didn't deter me in anyway. Just take care of your gear. If I were looking for another in the same size form them I'd go with the Otopeak. It is lighter and would sleep the same amount of people. And the fabric on the Octopeak IS made of rip-stop.

I was satisfied with my purchase from them as well. I know a few on here have had some bad luck with them. I moved on to Seek Outside for different reasons. They are USA made and I had a great experience with them when i purchased my pack from them. I now have a Silex and am probably going to get a larger tent/tipi at some point.

Just do your home work and make a decision that is right for you.

OP
N

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for your replies. I’m trying to stay under $500 and cost is the main reason I started researching the luxe tipi instead of a SO or kifaru. I am now leaning more towards the octopeak 6 for more room and lighter weight and the rip-stop that Bryanboss mentioned since I tend to be kinda hard on things. I’m trying to find something that will work for a few high country backpacking trips this summer, early season archery CO for me and a couple buddies, and then for mid October Gila elk hunt for me, my wife, and son.

After reading the thread about the delivery and refund issues I am a little hesitant to order but for the price it’s hard for me to not want to try one out

mlgc20

WKR
Thanks everyone for your replies. I’m trying to stay under $500 and cost is the main reason I started researching the luxe tipi instead of a SO or kifaru. I am now leaning more towards the octopeak 6 for more room and lighter weight and the rip-stop that Bryanboss mentioned since I tend to be kinda hard on things. I’m trying to find something that will work for a few high country backpacking trips this summer, early season archery CO for me and a couple buddies, and then for mid October Gila elk hunt for me, my wife, and son.

After reading the thread about the delivery and refund issues I am a little hesitant to order but for the price it’s hard for me to not want to try one out

There was a brand new one for sale yesterday in the Classified section. Not sure if it's still available. But, you may want to check.

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about the Luxe Megahorn 4P tipi shelter? I was thinking about ordering one but wanted some reviews.

Taking my Megahorn 4P for a first trial run basecamping this week. Likely won't fire up the SO stove since it'll be in the 80s here in CO. Will definitely be using the mesh inner tent 1.5P (nest) to keep the creepy crawlies off me. I'll check back and let you know how it performs.

I highly suggest researching Luxe on here. They are no longer a Rokslide contributor due to their questionable customer service. Sounds like the owner get his product from China and then sells it. I highly suggest looking into an American made brand like Seek Outside or Kifaru. Yes, they are more expensive. However, what you're getting is excellent customer service, high quality material and an unbeatable warranty. Kevin from SO is on here all the time and is the best. Aron also drops in and is reachable by phone. Do not waste your hard earned money and time with luxe.

BassAssassin04

Lil-Rokslider
I almost ordered a luxe with the thought that they were a third of the price. I was initially comparing the octopeak to the redcliff, but after looking into it more. The octopeak (9.97'x9.97')is comparable to the Cimarron (9'6"x11'8"). There is no way you could fit 6 people in that octopeak. Luxe still comes out cheaper, just not as much. I now have a Redcliff and im excited to get some use this fall.

OP
N

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
After reading some of the replies and doing some research I think I’ll save a little more money and go with the SO Cimmaron. I want a tent that is going to last for a long time and that I’ll be proud of every time I set it up.

As a small business owner myself I think that customer service should be the top priority. I also believe in trying to buy American made especially in the world we are living in right now.

Thank you all for your replies

sneaky

"DADDY"
If weight isn't a huge concern just get a Slumberjack Outpost 4 tipi. They actually have customer service, unlike Luxe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If weight isn't a huge concern just get a Slumberjack Outpost 4 tipi. They actually have customer service, unlike Luxe.

The slumberjack is very interesting. I don't like that its a bit heavy and pure polyester. Not sure I can trust it in high winds.

OP
N

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Weight is a bit of a concern as we are wanting to do some high country back packing this summer. I really like the Cimarron but my wife isn’t thrilled about floor less and I see it is back order 2 to 4 weeks. I was also looking at the copper spur 4 but now I’m kinda set on having a stove jack

sneaky

"DADDY"
The slumberjack is very interesting. I don't like that its a bit heavy and pure polyester. Not sure I can trust it in high winds.
Tipis do very well shedding wind, I think properly staked it will be fine. Put some shock cord on each tie out point and you're good. The poly tents don't sag as much as the silnylon tents do, at least the silpoly ones don't. I'll have to do more reading on the 68D poly.

sneaky

"DADDY"
FWIW, the Luxe Megahorn shelters are 68D poly material as well