Luxe Megahorn Tipi

PapD

FNG
Just had a not so pleasant experience with a tipi purchase from luxe. Granted, I did fail to click the correct options with the tent, but the customer service was horrid. I wanted to exchange it for one with snow skirts (pay extra and eat shipping) and the only real response I got back via email was referring me to the refund and exchange policy portion of the website, multiple times. I would go with another company.

I bought the Octopeak and it is basically a Chinese prison. Too short to stand up and to narrow to lay down without touching your head or feet to the material that sags and is barely classified as water resistant. You would be better off sleeping under a bed sheet with pam sprayed on it. (that may be an exaggeration). I have an email into them but based on what I have heard here I will not hold my breath.

jboy047

FNG
Tried calling Luxe multiple times and left messages with them trying to talk to customer service and have yet to get a call back.

OP
N

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all who replied to this thread. Sounds like it’s a good thing I didn’t buy a Luxe from all the poor reviews and horrible customer service. I ended up buying a BA copperspur 4 and have been very happy with it. Used it earlier this month on a backcountry elk hunt and it kept me dry and warm during one of the worst 12 hr snow storms I’ve ever been in. We did have to get up all night every two hour to clear the snow off of it but I know it’s not designed to withstand 2” per hour of snow. My cousin had a SO 4 man tipi right next to me and they too had to clear snow off of it all night and I don’t think they were any warmer or more comfortable than I was. For the conditions we were in I was very impressed with the performance of both tents.
Notice three tents in the picture with no snow. The third smaller tent was a gear tent, halfway through the night it collapsed and was completely covered under close to 2 feet of snow in the morning

Attachments

• 3124CE3E-9238-449E-AC36-4A1A734BCCF6.jpeg
    3124CE3E-9238-449E-AC36-4A1A734BCCF6.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 047A4908-477A-4CAE-B759-24D2CCC4535B.png
    047A4908-477A-4CAE-B759-24D2CCC4535B.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 60

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I think Luxe just buys their tents from factories in China, slaps an outdoor branding name to them and marks them waaaay up. Looks like you can buy the same stuff direct for under $100 sometimes. I emailed them a question about one tipi and I too was less than impressed with the customer service. I settled on a very budget/entry level Onetigris tipi. Been happy with it so far in good weather.

Frontiers

FNG
I've used the Megahorn, and concur with the posts on this forum.

Pro's
Excellent Budget friendly way to try / utilize a hot-tent
Has a removable top that allows for open fire inside the tent (I don't believe SO or Kifaru offer this)
Comes with all the hardware necessary
Is tall, two people can stand inside
Good internal tent options
Good hydrophic abilities

Cons
The return policy is unclear, the customer service is abysmal (I could never get a reply)
Made in China (not necessarily a con, but I prefer US made, leads to quality control)
Unclear long-term durability

If you are on a budget and know you won't return the item they are worth looking into (I obviously bought one). The Megahorn is unique in the open fire capabiility, the only other company I know of that does that is TentTipi (based in Norway I believe). I'm currently looking at a SO Redcliff or Kifaru Sawtooth to fill the 2-3 man backcountry tent requirement.