Luxe Tent MiniPeak XL Review

TylerS105

FNG
I am looking into buying an all season tent for backcountry hunting and was looking at the Luxe tents. I wanted to know what you guys think of the tent. My main questions are; is it drafty, does it get cold, or does it hold up in wet conditions?

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
I have a luxe octopeak tent. Mine has snow skirts that I put rocks on so I don't get any draft. I've probably used it 20 nights and am pretty disappointed by the quality... One zipper has broken off, the stove jack ripped, and the top where the center pole goes isn't reinforced... I was out in high winds and the pole broke through the top. If I could do it all over I would not by my tent again. I'm going to build my next tent, I think i can do a better job and get exactly what I want.

Beagle001

FNG
You’re going to find suuuuper mixed results with Luxe. All luck of the draw whether you get a good one or a bad one. I got lucky and got a really well built pre-Covid model (I don’t think that actually has anything to do with it)

mlgc20

WKR
You’re going to find suuuuper mixed results with Luxe. All luck of the draw whether you get a good one or a bad one. I got lucky and got a really well built pre-Covid model (I don’t think that actually has anything to do with it)
This is exactly right. Some people have gotten a product from them and had no issues. Others have gotten substandard products and Luxe will not stand behind what they sell. I urge you to read their return policy on their website. Once you open the product, it’s ineligible for return. Also, search around here and you will find quite a few threads where this is discussed.

Personally, I wouldn’t do business with them. And I wouldn’t trust a hunt to their products. But, I understand that their prices are attractive.

Beagle001

FNG
This is exactly right. Some people have gotten a product from them and had no issues. Others have gotten substandard products and Luxe will not stand behind what they sell. I urge you to read their return policy on their website. Once you open the product, it’s ineligible for return. Also, search around here and you will find quite a few threads where this is discussed.

Personally, I wouldn’t do business with them. And I wouldn’t trust a hunt to their products. But, I understand that their prices are attractive.
It seems like MOST of the stuff they had in 2018 was good and it has eroded since then.

I have a minipeak XL with the one man inner that I bought in 2019. I haven't used it enough to give a recommendation one-way or the other yet. So far my biggest complaint is how tight the inner tent is. I'm 5'11, 180lbs.

Cali hunter

Lil-Rokslider
They are fine. Don’t expect warranty I’ve owned and used many luxe and just purchased another luxe this one beings an xl with stove jack and 1.5 inner for $149.

That being said I haven not used it in the snow.... rain and mild wind it has been fine.

People on here hate them cuz they are not made in the US and I agree with the want for US made but my budget didn’t allow me to buy another tent my main is a durstan 1p and I love it.

Dzeek

FNG
I was also looking at this tent for a October elk hunt in idaho. Seems like mixed reviews. Is there a better option for a floorless tent around this price point? Thanks

Beagle001

FNG
I was also looking at this tent for a October elk hunt in idaho. Seems like mixed reviews. Is there a better option for a floorless tent around this price point? Thanks
Can’t think of any lightweight options in that price range, but VIAM is slightly more and they seem like really good dudes.
There are a few other companies that aren’t Kifaru or Seek Outside, but I cannot speak to their price or quality. I do know there are guys making their own for reasonable costs, if you’ve got that sort of ambition

Beagle001

FNG
OneTigris is a super cheap option… they look an awful lot like Luxe. You can find em on Amazon for $140 and at that cost, I guess you could try em out and not be at a huge loss, but I’d certainly want to test it out before a big trip. I guess at that cost, you could just wait and try a Luxe when they pop on sale or in the classifieds and take your gamble that way.

Pomoly is one I remembered now, too. I keep seeing them pop up on a Facebook page I follow, but once again, no reasonable reviews. Good luck.

I am looking into buying an all season tent for backcountry hunting and was looking at the Luxe tents. I wanted to know what you guys think of the tent. My main questions are; is it drafty, does it get cold, or does it hold up in wet conditions?
Hi Tyler

I have 2 hot tents that I use a lot. One is a Luxe Octopeak and the other is a top-quality make.

Luxe tents are A LOT of tent for the money, particularly when on sale. Every Luxe tent I've seen (anecdotal) is built right with solid materials and finishing. They're durable and they work! I can't complain, anyway.

A short side of Luxe is that they are NOT customer-centric. Customer-centric is a business strategy that is focused on creating the best possible product and service experience for the customer. Don't buy a Luxe if you expect to be at the center of Luxe's business philosophy. If Luxe sells you a tent and shows little or no care about what you think, they're allowed that. Spending less for "better enough" is not for everyone.

On cold and draft: Warmth and comfort is 100% sleeping bag and pad. A tent is a roof. If you skimp on bag and pad, no tent in the world will help you sleep better.

Hope this helps!

kad11

WKR
Slumberjack outpost might be worth a look for that price range.

jmike

FNG
We have the Megahorn in both sizes. Been using for 3 years . Both have held up well no problems had one hunt that was rain/snow and wide ...nothing bad to say about them.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
My two cents are that the luxe I've had were decent for the money but the company does have limited customer service. OP you'll have to weigh options. If you want truly 4 seasons then you'll probably want snow skirts/stove jack, and that adds weight and limits ventilation for the other 3 seasons. If you go with no snow skirts, you can pitch it low to the ground but there's always some draft which is nice for ventilation/condensation. You can try to push a shelter without the snow skirts by putting logs or piling snow up around the base to block drafts. Also the minipeak I believe is Poly which has some advantages but will be heavier than the hexpeaks with silnylon. Good luck

Wingnutty

FNG
I jumped today on the 50% off on the mini peak xl. Figured for $140 it’s well worth a bit of a gamble.

Kevin0351

FNG
I got the mini peak XL for Christmas. Finally got around to setting it up yesterday in the yard. Overall seems well built, but there is one small sewn on piece that has a hook that is used to hold the inner tent in place…. The threads are almost completely torn off.

It’s a lightweight enough fabric I should be able to get it sewn back in with ease but it’s definetly making me question overall durability of the rest of the tent and is giving me some hesitation to trusting it to hold up on a hunt when it matters.

Attachments

• BEA5B96D-DBCC-4438-8A33-F9ED603EAEF5.jpeg
    BEA5B96D-DBCC-4438-8A33-F9ED603EAEF5.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 324BFF15-6316-43C3-B68D-D97ECEBC923B.jpeg
    324BFF15-6316-43C3-B68D-D97ECEBC923B.jpeg
    518.6 KB · Views: 38
I got the mini peak XL for Christmas. Finally got around to setting it up yesterday in the yard. Overall seems well built, but there is one small sewn on piece that has a hook that is used to hold the inner tent in place…. The threads are almost completely torn off.

It’s a lightweight enough fabric I should be able to get it sewn back in with ease but it’s definetly making me question overall durability of the rest of the tent and is giving me some hesitation to trusting it to hold up on a hunt when it matters.

That last part is why I went with SO. When it’s midnight and the wind is ripping I want to trust that my shelter will stay together.

madhouse

FNG
Hi Tyler

I have 2 hot tents that I use a lot. One is a Luxe Octopeak and the other is a top-quality make.

Luxe tents are A LOT of tent for the money, particularly when on sale. Every Luxe tent I've seen (anecdotal) is built right with solid materials and finishing. They're durable and they work! I can't complain, anyway.

A short side of Luxe is that they are NOT customer-centric. Customer-centric is a business strategy that is focused on creating the best possible product and service experience for the customer. Don't buy a Luxe if you expect to be at the center of Luxe's business philosophy. If Luxe sells you a tent and shows little or no care about what you think, they're allowed that. Spending less for "better enough" is not for everyone.

On cold and draft: Warmth and comfort is 100% sleeping bag and pad. A tent is a roof. If you skimp on bag and pad, no tent in the world will help you sleep better.

Hope this helps!
What is the top quality make and which would you take into more extreme weather?

What is the top quality make and which would you take into more extreme weather?

The tent I referenced at the time of the post was a SO Cimarron. I sold it and bought a new Guardian in NOV. If extreme weather means wind/rain/snow/cold, I'd use any/either.