Luxe Tent Stove Issues

Hello everyone, this is my first post to the forum.

We had our first test run this past weekend with the a new Luxe Octopeak Tent and 3W Tent Wood Stove. We are preparing for a 2022 CO 2nd season elk hunt and trying to become familiar and proficient with the gear we are taking and also test gear in potential weather scenarios. We're from Pittsburgh, PA and have similar winter temperature conditions to CO, but it will only be cold for another month or two here to try optimize stove learning and use. The camp day temp was in the 20's and very windy. The night temp went into the mid-teens but the wind died down. My sleep system is sufficient for the temps, 0 degree down Marmot Lithium bag with Thermarest NeoAir sleeping pad, so the stove was not intended for staying warm at night. It's more for comfort while cooking/changing clothes/hanging out before bed. I have ample experience with a house wood burner furnace and building camp fires, but was having difficulties with this tent stove.

The issues with the stove.. Initial start of the fire is difficult. We used walmart fire starter bricks with twigs up to 1/2" diameter sticks. The trees in the area are some type of birch. The fire would start, burn some the thinner material, then die relatively quickly, even with the air flow vents fulling open. When trying to rekindle the fire, you have to blow into the stove like crazy to re-catch the flame. When we did manage to produce a good flame, the stove will throw heat for a good 5-minutes then cool off, tried to add larger diameter pieces of wood, but they will just smolder. And to top it off, if you add more wood to the fire, smoke would pour out into the tent to the point of making eyes burn and water. It seemed like a hot tent would be an enjoyable evening to warm up after a full day of hunting, but with all the problems, it might be easier to just build a campfire outside of the tent.

What are some tips to fix this issues? We are using the standard equipment that comes with the stove.

Moserkr

WKR
Sounds like you were burning some wet wood, even if it felt dry. Also when starting, leave the door open a crack - the air intake isnt enough until it is drafting properly. Make sure where the stove pipe meets the stove body is higher than the stove door - helps draft up pipe. I use a cigar torch to start the fires with twigs, fire starters work too.

But from your description, sounds like a wood issue. Ti stoves (especially) love having hot coals. Keep adding small wood til it is roaring, then slowly add larger pieces. They do not burn damp, wet, or fresh wood well, even with a good coal base.

B

Brando'

Agree with the other folks; you were most likely burning wet wood.