Luxe Tipi Initial Review

RescueBob

FNG
I am brand new to the tipi and hot tent game and after months of research and waffling on the best bang-for-buck entry level setup, I picked up a Luxe Megahorn XL tipi, paired with a Seek Outside XL stove with 9' pipe.

I was looking for something big enough to put up to 4-5 people in with a wood stove, best bang for buck to try the style out, and packed size/weight parameters that made it no problem for horseback or ATV camping.

I did the initial set up and stove burn in today and thought I'd share a few observations that may be useful if you're considering something similar. Feel free to throw other observations you more experienced folks might have into the comments.

THE TENT
1) Size - This particular tent is advertised as an 8 person, but obviously that is an optimistic max. I believe 4 people with stove, low profile cots and gear is probably the comfortable max. For just myself, the wife and our 2 german shepherds, it will be more than spacious allowing for bad weather days inside the tent with chairs and a cooking area. I am 5' 10" and can easily stand in a good size area toward the middle of the tent.

2) Weather - I set up in moderate wind with 35 ish mph gusts. It is CRITICAL that it be staked out well, especially with the stove in it. I will be picking up some longer and heavier duty stakes as the moderate winds caused the included ones to pull out of fairly firm soil or bend. There are additional tie out points that should firm it up very nicely if needed. Snow load... I have no idea yet, but it seems if using the additional tie out points it should do just fine.

3) Stove - The SO XL stove seems to be a little oversized for this tent, but I did do the burn in with 45 ish degree and sunny weather so I will have to revisit that later. I would rather it be oversized than under anyways.

4) Packed size/weight - Its definitely not a backpacking tent, but I can get the full tent package, a tarp/awning (Luxe Batwing), stove, 2 lightweight collapsible cots, 2 ultralight chairs, backpack insulated sleeping pads, a lightweight cooking setup with utensils, and a sleeping bag all into a medium size duffel. It may be a little much for a single side pannier but could very easily be distributed plus a good bit more weight on a single horse.

5) Floor - Obviously it can be used floorless, but the included floor could be useful. It's fairly thin, think normal tent floor with waterproofing. Over dirt or grass it should be fine, but if I need a floor in anything rougher, I'll be using a tarp.

6) Overall Quality - Yes, I there are nicer and better products out there, but for my purposes of trying this tent/camp style out without breaking the bank, I am pleased. The stakes will need to be replaced, I will be making additional tie out lines, and have read about some issues with Luxe customer service, but I have yet to find anything overtly concerning or outside what I expected. A couple years of use will determine whether I upgrade or am still happy with it.

Last edited:
Luxe used to be a sponsor here. Unfortunately, a member here posted that he purchased a brand new tent from them, but when he received it, it was defective. He posted that he tried to get Luxe to make it right. The mods here got involved and Luxe chose to not warranty the tent, along with leaving Rokslide. As such, perhaps your blank number 4 should reflect this.

By the way, Luxe is just a reseller of cheap Chinese Tipi's that he buys in bulk. I actually had a Megahorn. I view it as a 2 man with ultralight cots and a stove. It would be about impossible to get a 3rd in there, unless you climbed over someone entering and exiting. The tipi got the job done, but a bear decided to explore the tent and contents (there was no food in it) while I was away. I simply refuse to purchase for someone that refuses to stand behind the product they sell. If one searches, they can find similar products online from China for prices very similar to Luxe, if they wanted to go that route.

mlgc20

WKR
Luxe used to be a sponsor here. Unfortunately, a member here posted that he purchased a brand new tent from them, but when he received it, it was defective. He posted that he tried to get Luxe to make it right. The mods here got involved and Luxe chose to not warranty the tent, along with leaving Rokslide. As such, perhaps your blank number 4 should reflect this.

By the way, Luxe is just a reseller of cheap Chinese Tipi's that he buys in bulk. I actually had a Megahorn. I view it as a 2 man with ultralight cots and a stove. It would be about impossible to get a 3rd in there, unless you climbed over someone entering and exiting. The tipi got the job done, but a bear decided to explore the tent and contents (there was no food in it) while I was away. I simply refuse to purchase for someone that refuses to stand behind the product they sell. If one searches, they can find similar products online from China for prices very similar to Luxe, if they wanted to go that route.
You are really just rolling the dice buying from them. Their own website says you cant return a tent after it’s been opened. And as we’ve seen on here, people have openEd the package and fLund a substandard product. But, you have no recourse. They are an easy pass for me. I only get to hunt a few weeks a year. No way I would trust that precious time to Luxe.

OP
RescueBob

RescueBob

FNG
You are really just rolling the dice buying from them. Their own website says you cant return a tent after it’s been opened. And as we’ve seen on here, people have openEd the package and fLund a substandard product. But, you have no recourse. They are an easy pass for me. I only get to hunt a few weeks a year. No way I would trust that precious time to Luxe.
I had read similar stories here and there during my research but they seemed to be an occasional occurence rather than the rule. I know I took a little bit of risk but after talking to several folks who own/use the product, I figured it was worth the price to try it out. So far I am very happy with it but time will tell.

OP
RescueBob

RescueBob

FNG

Apologize for the blank #4, I accidentally submitted before finishing what I was writing. Updated now.
I get that it is from china and "cheap" compared to some other brands, but one of my big criteria was to try out this style of camping without spending gobs of money on the top line product. I will likely upgrade in the future if I wind up using this tent a lot and find issues with it, but for the entry level price I am happy with the product. I haven't experienced any issues with customer service yet, but I haven't had to deal with them either outside of a few questions I needed answered.