luxury item- food

mtnkid85

WKR
For me its fresh fruit or veggy.
I love a Banana, apple, orange, carrots or avocado for the first few days. Just something whole that doesnt require water!

Actually Ive got a better one that I just happened upon yesterday. Ive only done it once but Ill be trying it again!
Yesterday on a single day ski trip I brought a slice of left over pizza wrapped in tinfoil, then at lunch I threw it on the fires coals for a few minutes to warm it up... It was AMAZING! Smoked pizza, Ill be trying that one again.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
theres a lot of talk about "luxury " items we are willing to pack extra weight for. pillows, stoves, clothes and even optics to a degree but what about food. what food are you willing to pack even though it doesn't make a lick of sense. for me its sour patch kids. sometimes the only pick me up I got is sitting down for a minute with a little bag of sour patch kids. can do wonders for my moral but really gives me nothing I need nutritionally. im thinking about maybe packing some dry salami this year too. I found dry salami nuggets pre packaged and there a little like crack. they however would give me something and meet the 100 cal per once standard that I have for food. so how about you? what's that food that you don't need but gotta have out there? if I could figure out a way to pack cheeseburger's id have it made, I usually want one of those about 20 minutes into the hike in

I'm the same way with Sour Patch Kids. I take a few different sour candies with me that normally equate to about 16 ounces for 10 days.

I also take a bag of Ritz Sour Cream and Onion Toasted Chips so that I can eat a few every night after dinner. At 140 calories per ounce they actually make a lot of sense to bring if the 8 ounce bag wasn't the size of an inflated gallon ziplock. :)

Also for lunch everyday I take an onion or everything bagel vacuum sealed, a 5 ounce Starkist 'flavored' Tuna packet and a small mayo packet. It's not light but it's a 'real' meal and there's nothing like having something actually good tasting on the mountain.

This year I will be taking all homemade dehydrated meals too. They are much better than Mountain House.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
fillthefreazer where do you get your landjaeger at?
I love the landjaeger, when i head east i always stop at owens in cle elum!

Johnson's Smokehouse in Olympia has my favorite. I normally make a 50 lb. batch from one of my elk every year. Great stuff.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
what part of town is that in? id like to give it a shot next time i roll through

It's East Olympia.

uga2ejud.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
this coming from ultralight guy!? i wanna share a camp with you....

They actually have a ton of calories so I don't think they're too bad. I have just packed in a couple for the first night or so. Plus if my tent is lighter I can take more food! Haha!

littlebuf,
I didn't bring any last year!

Buckman

WKR
I posted this in another thread, but this is a better place for it. I make chili and freeze it. Its heavy as hell but its my first two evening meals. Cann't wait to get back to camp for those meals.

slim9300

WKR
holy crap how much does that cost?

Not cheap! :) $4.25 per pound wet (including the vacuum packing).

I can't eat their pepperoni anymore (just got sick of it) so my partner and I have that made at Stewart's in Yelm. We bring in about 200-250 lbs. of trimmed boned out elk and deer every year to be made into extra spicy jalapeño pep. At $3.00 per pound wet it ends up being a pretty penny too, plus we vacuum pack everything ourselves. Everyone I know begs me to bring pep and it seems like the perfect item for gatherings and gifts. I have converted many a non-hunter just by the idea of having their own processed meats. Lol.

I have a designated 6' stand up 'game meat' freezer in my garage that is always full by November/December. (...knock on wood) I haven't bought beef in over 5 years.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
stewarts is good stuff. ive got the same size freezer plus a 6' chest next to it for game and I count myself blessed to have them both full every year as well. ive been saving a bunch of grind in the one that I want to do a batch of both pep and lg but its so damn spendy. maybe with my next bonus. its been a while since I did a big batch and yeah its a pretty popular thing when you have it

slim9300

WKR
stewarts is good stuff. ive got the same size freezer plus a 6' chest next to it for game and I count myself blessed to have them both full every year as well. ive been saving a bunch of grind in the one that I want to do a batch of both pep and lg but its so damn spendy. maybe with my next bonus. its been a while since I did a big batch and yeah its a pretty popular thing when you have it

How many animals do you kill each year! ;)

I killed 2 elk and 2 deer last year and I was good for space. The year before I fit 2 elk and 4 deer in the thing just barely. :)