Lyman 54 cal Deer Stalker & PRB

GLB

WKR
I have owned this rifle for over 20 years. I shot some Great Plains bullets and TC Maxi balls with good results many years ago. Looking for PRB loads that may work well with this particular rifle. I would use it for deer and black bear.

It’s been so long since I have done any muzzle loader stuff that I would basically be starting over. It will give me something to work on to give my bow arms a rest.

WKR
My two cents. I'd buy some .530 roundballs, .015 thickness patches and probably .018 while you are at it. Using Goex ffg, Swiss ffg, Pyrodex ffg, I'd start at 60 grains and work up in 5 grain increments. It ought to shoot well somewhere between 70-100 grains I'd think. 54 hits hard with roundballs, should work great.

I like a looser fit with ball and patch as it makes reloading on a hunt much easier for me. Just how I would go about it. Good luck and should be a nice break from archery.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
My two cents. I'd buy some .530 roundballs, .015 thickness patches and probably .018 while you are at it. Using Goex ffg, Swiss ffg, Pyrodex ffg, I'd start at 60 grains and work up in 5 grain increments. It ought to shoot well somewhere between 70-100 grains I'd think. 54 hits hard with roundballs, should work great.

I like a looser fit with ball and patch as it makes reloading on a hunt much easier for me. Just how I would go about it. Good luck and should be a nice break from archery.
Thanks! I have some .530 and .535 RBs and some .015 patches coming.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I had that same rifle years ago. If memory serves, I ended up shooting 80 gr. of 2F.
Thanks! That load comes up a lot I think that’s what I used with conicals but it’s been so long.

Clarence

WKR
It will be difficult finding Goex. They closed the plant last summer, and it quickly disappeared shortly after. Swiss or German stuff are your best options. If using Swiss, cut your load about 10%. Good rule of thumb I was taught, was hunting load is 1 grain of powder for .01 of caliber, in modern barrels. You may be able to get a little more to burn in that rifle, but start low and work up. My.02, and good luck! Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Reactions: GLB

Sonoman

FNG
Not familiar with the Lyman Deer Stalker. What twist are we talking? I've shot a Lyman GPR (slow twist) for years and always had good luck with 530 ball, .015 patch and 90gr or goex 3f. If this is a faster twist you would probably have to drop your charge down and work up. I would probably start around 60grs and do increments of 5 grains.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Not familiar with the Lyman Deer Stalker. What twist are we talking? I've shot a Lyman GPR (slow twist) for years and always had good luck with 530 ball, .015 patch and 90gr or goex 3f. If this is a faster twist you would probably have to drop your charge down and work up. I would probably start around 60grs and do increments of 5 grains.
I’m pretty sure it’s 1:48 twist. Kinda in between

Sonoman

FNG
My experience with the 1:48 twist in 54 caliber is this. This twist I've always thought as a compromise twist. It will shoot both prb and bullets decent. For me I went the 1:60 twist because I prefer shooting PRB and was able to shoot hotter loads with better accuracy. This twist works out well with the smaller calibers and a PRB. So as mentioned by folks above start out with a lighter load and work up. You will find a load and patch thickness that will shoot good for you. Have fun and enjoy the journey.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what part of Alaska you live in, but if you can locate any black powder, please let me know. I have a little but I'm afraid to go shooting! I'd even be up for going in on a group buy if there is enough interest.