Lyman Globe Sight opinions

OXN939

WKR
For those who have done the peep-plus-Lyman-Globe-sight conversion for your rifles, how do you like the the Lee Shaver reticle card? Is it worth spending $40 for a piece of stamped metal about the size of a paper clip to replace the reticles that come with the globe sight originally? If anyone has an extra reticle card or any of the reticles on the bottom row laying around they want to get rid of, let me know.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
For those who have done the peep-plus-Lyman-Globe-sight conversion for your rifles, how do you like the the Lee Shaver reticle card? Is it worth spending $40 for a piece of stamped metal about the size of a paper clip to replace the reticles that come with the globe sight originally? If anyone has an extra reticle card or any of the reticles on the bottom row laying around they want to get rid of, let me know.

Yes it is worth it!! The lee Shaver’s Card is 20 Bucks, NOT 40

I have Peep sight setups on Every Muzzleloader i am Serious about Shooting, they ALL Have a Globe with Shaver inserts. There is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON in The Stock Lyman inserts VS the Shaver’s, Which are Fine BPCR inserts. There is a Reason they use these to 1,000 Yards, Try that with Lyman

Shaver’s ultra fine bead on Far Left, And Shaver’s Large Bead in the Middle, And the Stock Lyman Bead on the Far right, BIG N BULKY. I can literally Hold on the Cap of a Milk Jug at 100 Yards with the Shaver’s. NOT EVEN CLOSE with the Lyman
3oerLZpl.jpg

A couple of Front Globes i Run On Different Rifles, These are Targety

c1RkJZgm.jpg

This is more of a Hunting Setup, All of my Globes are 17 Series
n3GTYHdm.jpg

I have a Few Shavers inserts 👍 NO WAY i could Shoot the Way i do without them
vI3xcDVl.jpg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, the fine cross hair doesn't cover a clay pigeon target at 150yds for instance. Which insert interests you other than the fine cross hair (I have a full card other than that one)?

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR

I have Peep sight setups on Every Muzzleloader i am Serious about Shooting, they ALL Have a Globe with Shaver inserts. There is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON in The Stock Lyman inserts VS the Shaver’s, Which are Fine BPCR inserts. There is a Reason they use these to 1,000 Yards, Try that with Lyman

Shaver’s ultra fine bead on Far Left, And Shaver’s Large Bead in the Middle, And the Stock Lyman Bead on the Far right, BIG N BULKY. I can literally Hold on the Cap of a Milk Jug at 100 Yards with the Shaver’s. NOT EVEN CLOSE with the Lyman
3oerLZpl.jpg

c1RkJZgm.jpg

n3GTYHdm.jpg

vI3xcDVl.jpg

Was hoping one of the blackpowder PHDs would chime in. I threw that EABCO peeprib on there last week and am already very impressed- you can tell she's going to be a solid setup. My only question with the ultra fine reticles is whether you've ever experienced them bending or breaking in the field? Protected by the globe pretty well to be sure, but all it would take would be a small branch or something to bend such a tiny piece of metal. I'll certainly be packing an extra reticle or two on my hunt.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, the fine cross hair doesn't cover a clay pigeon target at 150yds for instance. Which insert interests you other than the fine cross hair (I have a full card other than that one)?

Really any of the fine post reticles that are circled below. Happy to Venmo ya a few bucks for them if you need to free up space on your gunsmithing bench! Haha

.Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 11.28.13 AM.png

Okhotnik

WKR

3oerLZpl.jpg

c1RkJZgm.jpg

n3GTYHdm.jpg

vI3xcDVl.jpg
thanks for input. I've been looking at inserts

HookUp

WKR
I'm currently shooting the fine cross hairs. interested in the fine post with drop of uv glo chart paint. In low light or dark back grounds the cross hairs are tough to see. I have heard of guys adding glo paint to them as well.

Schism

WKR
I'm currently shooting the fine cross hairs. interested in the fine post with drop of uv glo chart paint. In low light or dark back grounds the cross hairs are tough to see. I have heard of guys adding glo paint to them as well.

I am also curious if anyone has found a solution to seeing the front sight more easily in low, but legal, shooting light. I am running the EABCO peep rib with the Lyman front globe and the small post Shaver insert. While hunting this fall I found myself not being able to see the front sight while there was still a solid 20 minutes of shooting light remaining. A fine fiber optic front sight similar to an archery sight would be ideal.

HookUp

WKR
I talked to a long range black powder shooter and he said nearly everyone uses the doughnut sights. He said its the best way to see in low light. I may have to test one.

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
I am also curious if anyone has found a solution to seeing the front sight more easily in low, but legal, shooting light. I am running the EABCO peep rib with the Lyman front globe and the small post Shaver insert. While hunting this fall I found myself not being able to see the front sight while there was still a solid 20 minutes of shooting light remaining. A fine fiber optic front sight similar to an archery sight would be ideal.
I feel really confident at the range with the front fine crosshair but I agree it is hard to see them in low contrast situations. Probably switching to a different insert.