Lyman globe sights

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Sidelock, or inline? Lyman’s 57SML is a Darn good Tang peep for Sidelock Muzzleloaders, i have 6-8 of them Setup on Fast Twist Bullet Shooting Sidelocks, Williams FP Hawken is also good, i have 2 of these on TC Hawkens With Fast Twist Bullet Barrels.

I use Lyman 17 Series Globes, i also have a few Lee Shaver’s.

Few pics of my Setups.

Here is my Little .45 LRH 1:30 Twist on the 500 Yard line, This is a Williams FP Hawken Tang Peep, i was really close to the end of Adjustment here

cTCSd8zl.jpg

1 of my Lyman 17AHB Globes (the AHB is .404 High) This is the lowest 17 Globe Lyman Makes and My favorite, This allows me to keep my Peep Bridge Low
ctSI4R8l.jpg

The Williams FP Hawken on Rifle above, I am using the 1” Target Aperture here (I feel it helps to keep peripheral distraction down) This FP is setup as a TK model (Target Knobs) i am also using a Gib Elevator lock so i can make Quick Field adjustments.
UELh0Wtl.jpg

Here is 1 of My lyman 57 SML Tang Peeps, i feel this is a Better hunting Sight
Le6jraql.jpg

A couple of my Lee Shaver Front Globes, they are REALLY nice, but in my opinion the Lyman is just as good for 1/2 the Price. I personally don’t trust these bubble levels, i have tested them with Larger levels and they don’t read the Same.
MaftF89l.jpg

I use these on my 2 Long Range Muzzleloader Barrels, these are Shaver’s adjustable Windage Globes, they are actually for his Ferriss Creedmoor Rifles, But work STELLAR on Muzzleloaders as well, especially when you need the Extra Height. These are REALLY nice front Globes
m87PbURl.jpg

If a peep and Globe on an inline is what you are looking for? You can do that as well. This is an Old Knight MK-85 .54 Cal that i set up
28guWYtl.jpg

DATNhK6l.jpg

cxny7VXl.jpg

P6NfMbIl.jpg

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
These are the inserts i use, Lee Shavers. The Lyman Globes come with inserts But they are BULKY compared to these Shavers, Some prefer the larger inserts, I personally don’t like them at all. With these 2 Shaver’s beads, especially the fine bead, I can actually hold in the middle of a Popcan at 100 yards and stil see the outer edges. These are 1 of the reasons i shoot Peeps so well.

Lyman on the left, Shaver’s on the Right. These things are Really Tough/Durable. Spring steel I believe? No doubt they can be Broke, but i have yet to break one
YqB8LVo.jpg

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Now, my opinion on the above for hunting, If you like to Hunt the “Glory” Hours, First and last light, These are NOT a Great Choice in my opinion, and hands on experience, More so the Globe Fronts, You are simply blind in Low light. For hunting, I would Put an Open Fiber Optic Bead Up Front, And Run a Large Peep Hole in the Aperture, like .125-.150, I have played around with this setup and i can see in low light REALLY good. Limit your shots to 100 Yard Max when hunting Low light. The Globes and Fine inserts are FAR and Away more accurate, But what good are they if you can’t see them?

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Thanks for replying guys. One of my concerns is about lower light shooting, but maybe that can’t be helped to much. Off topic a bit, but have any of you guys tried XS sights on a muzzleloader

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I should add that I can shoot to 100 yards with about 1.5” groups with the factory sights. I’d really like to find a sight that doesn’t cover up the deer as much

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Do you think you could shoot to 200 yards with a fiber optic and a rear peep sight?
That is my end goal. If I can’t personally get that good, then I won’t shoot at game that far. Just looking at some different options

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Do you think you could shoot to 200 yards with a fiber optic and a rear peep sight?
That is my end goal. If I can’t personally get that good, then I won’t shoot at game that far. Just looking at some different options

With practice i am Confident you can do 200 Yards, The more you practice it, the more efficient you will become at it (y) My dad is in his 70s and he can do it, He does it with an Old Stock TC Renegade in .54 Caliber with a Marbles 1/16th Bead, Bullets are my Lyman Plains that i Cast. Dad can stay in a Pie plate no problem. 200 Yards with regular open sights (Large bead up front) Is a LONG Poke!!

Here is what i would do, Get the Smallest Fiber Optic Bead Front that you can find, I am not sure if you can get down to a 1/16th Rifle Bead in Fiber Optic or not? I know they make some really small, yet SUPER DURABLE and REALLY BRIGHT Fiber optic wire for Archery pins, tiny .019 and .029, Anyway, that is what I would do, Then practice, practice, practice (y)

I shoot the Globe Front sights with ultra fine BPCR inserts so well that I personally am willing to trade off low light minutes so i can keep my Sight setups, It is a TOUGH Decision to make! It’s really hard on me to not be able to Hunt those “Magical” Minutes, But I know with my Sight Setups that i can EASILY make a 200 Shot on a Deer, even a 300 Yard Shot is VERY Doable, Though i feel that is really pushing it on Game, My philosophy is anything from 0 to 200 is DUCK SOUP Easy for me, and 300 is if i need to make a Recovery Shot.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Cool. Probably going to try both routes and see which works best for me personally. Thanks a bunch

No problem! Glad to help!

There have been a few attempts at making an insert that you can see in Low light, Personally i feel they would no doubt Help some, But the Real Problem is the Dark Tunnel of the Globe itself, My Friend Idahoron painted the inside of His Globe White to help With light, I wish i had looked through his in low light. Ron feels that it helps. My idea was to have a Fine “Tritium” Pin made for the Globe (Same as Pistol night sights that naturally glow in the Dark) I spoke with Lee Shaver’s about this, He started out interested, But Nothing came of it. Lee Shaver’s felt that a Fiber Optic Wrap around the Outside of the Globe would be a better way to go? They do this in Archery with sight pins, Each pin might have 2-3 feet of Fiber Optic wire Wrapped round and Round And Contained, This way all of that Wire is gathering any available light, in return making the pin Bright.

One thing to keep in mind about the above, I feel if the Pin was to Bright it would be difficult to See Through/Around it in low light, Maybe not? But i personally think it could do as much harm as good

Here are a few inserts I have seen, Again i feel The Biggest problem is the Globe itself.
IhAQXjal.jpg

mrPbnqQl.jpg

Knight Rifles makes a Hood for their Sight with a Cutout in the Top, This would be a MUCH better hunting setup. This is Forum member Sabotloader’s Picture, i just stole it to use here, i think he’ll forgive me? :)
jImhZ5hm.jpg

EdMehlig

FNG
Where did you find those inserts with the fiber optic pins? I’d be interested in the Green one.

msellers

FNG
Not to resurrect a long ago post, but another option that is low tech effective for darkening fiber optics. Is to keep a piece of electrical tape somewhere, so you can cover up exposed parts to dim the overwhelming brightness. Is reusable, adjustable, and very affordable. This allows tayloring your sights in the field to the changing conditions you might experience.
Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

brownth2

FNG
Lyman 17 with shaver inserts upfront. The inserts that come with the Lyman are pretty bulky to my eye. Williams FP on the back. I love my sight picture.

These are the inserts i use, Lee Shavers. The Lyman Globes come with inserts But they are BULKY compared to these Shavers, Some prefer the larger inserts, I personally don’t like them at all. With these 2 Shaver’s beads, especially the fine bead, I can actually hold in the middle of a Popcan at 100 yards and stil see the outer edges. These are 1 of the reasons i shoot Peeps so well.

Lyman on the left, Shaver’s on the Right. These things are Really Tough/Durable. Spring steel I believe? No doubt they can be Broke, but i have yet to break one
YqB8LVo.jpg
Good tip man, im working on a gun right now, ill have to get some shavers coming in the mail.