Maccall idaho

When you hunt an area for a week and glass that area thoroughly from above treeline to the valley floor and turn up 5 deer in a full morning of glassing there is a problem. This is from 10000 ft down to 6000...when you see more people in a half hour than deer in a full day there is a problem. Sorry man, your state has more problems than non resident hunters. I have been hunting in Idaho for many years and there is a serious problem WITH DEER NUMBERS..elk, we saw them all over the place.
Then vote with your dollars and hunt another state. Someone else will gladly pick that tag up next year.

Public land is owned and accessed by every American, don't get it twisted. There's no secret spots on public land. Non residents pay more than residents, same as every state. My family hunted as non residents in another state this year, payed NR fees and had a great hunt. NR fees are higher everywhere, tough shit. If you think higher fees entitle you to anything, you'll be sadly mistaken. Good ol' hard work will take you wherever you want to go.

I think the one thing that gets twisted is, and listen closely, the animals belong to the individual states. Even those on private and federal lands. The individual states make the rules. The exception is high fence operations. We as non residence must respect that and not treat that as a right, but rather a privilege anytime we hunt whether in our own states, or another.

Calbuck

WKR
Urban sprawl could be a problem but damn, there's lots of land in Idaho that's not developed. We saw more deer on private fields than in all public by far. It seems to me that the deer are moving onto private and the herds that used to migrate out of the mountains are gone. We hunted unit 50 and saw maybe 10 does a day. All the same does. I shot a small 3 point out of a group of maybe 10-12 deer and it was the only buck. I hiked quite away up from the roads to shoot that one. I hiked a couple miles off the roads and glassed infinite sage/timber areas and saw 5 deer total in a week of mornings doing so. I found one nice 23-24" buck at treeline (could have shot him but impossible packout) and chose not to take him. I think Idaho has a serious deer problem and they have done nothing to figure it out. I know unit 55 well, draw tag, have many friends in the area and the deer numbers there are at an all time low..there's a real problem with deer in Idaho and that is the fact. Call it what you want they're not doing well.

Calbuck

WKR
When you hunt an area for a week and glass that area thoroughly from above treeline to the valley floor and turn up 5 deer in a full morning of glassing there is a problem. This is from 10000 ft down to 6000...when you see more people in a half hour than deer in a full day there is a problem. Sorry man, your state has more problems than non resident hunters. I have been hunting in Idaho for many years and there is a serious problem WITH DEER NUMBERS..elk, we saw them all over the place.
Then vote with your dollars and hunt another state. Someone else will gladly pick that tag up next year.
I prob won't hunt Idaho next year but its not because of your post. There will be some hunter who picks up the tag and does exactly as I or any other hunter would; kill a buck if they can and call it good. The problem is whether you are a local or a non resident the herd is what it is. You can blame who ever you want but the fact is the deer aren't there and you can bank on that. I will hunt wherever I want when I want and that is a fact. All I'm saying is after hunting in Idaho for several years the deer have gone away. I haven't taken any more than my share. There is a problem there and you should talk to your fish and game not me when it comes to deer numbers. I will only be hunting Idaho on draw tags from now on and still have low expectations. (Not on elk tags though!)

Urban sprawl could be a problem but damn, there's lots of land in Idaho that's not developed. We saw more deer on private fields than in all public by far. It seems to me that the deer are moving onto private and the herds that used to migrate out of the mountains are gone. We hunted unit 50 and saw maybe 10 does a day. All the same does. I shot a small 3 point out of a group of maybe 10-12 deer and it was the only buck. I hiked quite away up from the roads to shoot that one. I hiked a couple miles off the roads and glassed infinite sage/timber areas and saw 5 deer total in a week of mornings doing so. I found one nice 23-24" buck at treeline (could have shot him but impossible packout) and chose not to take him. I think Idaho has a serious deer problem and they have done nothing to figure it out. I know unit 55 well, draw tag, have many friends in the area and the deer numbers there are at an all time low..there's a real problem with deer in Idaho and that is the fact. Call it what you want they're not doing well.

Winter kill plays a big part in what you are describing. Mature bucks will be back at some point. My money says there have been some severe winters in that area in recent years

Dude, the nonresident pressure is the same every year because the tag allotment hasn’t changed in years..quit drumming up problems to non residents.. the problem is Idaho is running out of animals

I disagree because this is the first year they have sold out before residents can buy a second tag at nonresident prices. So there were def more nonresidents who bought tags in 2020 than 2019.

Now it is not more than the quota but def still more than 2019.

Pandemic has caused some weird shocks to the “normal” we are used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael54

WKR
I disagree because this is the first year they have sold out before residents can buy a second tag at nonresident prices. So there were def more nonresidents who bought tags in 2020 than 2019.

Everyone is going stir crazy and travel is super cheap right now. There's a whole group of One day i wills/bucketlisters that finally decided to pull the trigger because this is the cheapest they will possibly be able to do it. Most wont return next year. Half of the men in my office have planned some sort of out west hunt between idaho and montana this year. Of the 9 doing it only 3 are hardcore year to year hunters. The other 6 occasionally hunt or go out for first day of deer season here and thats it...doesn't mean they have any less right to be there or give the locals justification to leave nasty notes and be a$$holes about it. They have just as much right to be there and paid a hell of a lot more....

Calbuck

WKR

Either way same number of tags whhaaaa ID residents didn’t get SECOND deer tags..there’s in not enough deer to fill FIRST deer tags..maybe second tags should be done away with as well as doe tags..no deer left!

KurtR

WKR
It’s simple and no different than here. Winter Mother Nature wins and always will. Have a couple bad winters and deer population goes way down. Have a few open winters and it booms back. 16 was the first year out there and seen lots of deer then 17 some deer and then 18 and 19 nothing and we hunted hard for deer for my brother who is a resident and I was disappointed I couldn’t even find him a little one. Have some good winters and a few years after that the deer will be back. I just wish I could find those elk that are out running all over😆

exppi

FNG
Part of the complication is the open doe season for youth hunts during the general season. I am seeing a lot of posts on other sites of kids with their first deer and it’s a doe. While it is great they are getting out and filling a tag, there is no limit on doe harvest with these seasons. I think moving to only controlled tag doe harvests would help.

Every 2 years IFG sends out questionnaires looking for feedback on what hunters want. Few of them ever get turned in and so far the overwhelming response is hunters are looking for opportunity over quality. The commission sets the seasons and they are adopted. The commission is appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate. Most senators are rural and a lot of their constituents know them by first name. When these folks don't get the answers or results they want, senators get an earful, which trickles over to the commissioners.
I would venture to say that most Idaho hunters forget about hunting after September and October. They get involved again after the new seasons are set when they find out their hunt has changed. Most don't bother to show up at any of the open houses that IFG puts on for the season proposals. I completely agree that a reduction in SW Idaho deer opportunity needs implemented. The thing about Idaho (any heavy snow state for that matter) is one hard winter can wipe out 10 years of conservation.

freddyG

WKR
The real issue is IFG is only after money. They could care less about wildlife. Don’t believe me? Look up the stunt they pulled by having IFG employees shoot elk at night to thin them out last year in southern Idaho. They said(only after getting caught) that the elk population is too big? Most of the meat spoiled, because scarrow meats in Jerome could not process such a mess(semi load of hair-on quartered elk).

This type of stuff goes on all the time, and they get caught from time to time.

The real issue is IFG is only after money. They could care less about wildlife. Don’t believe me? Look up the stunt they pulled by having IFG employees shoot elk at night to thin them out last year in southern Idaho. They said(only after getting caught) that the elk population is too big? Most of the meat spoiled, because scarrow meats in Jerome could not process such a mess(semi load of hair-on quartered elk).

This type of stuff goes on all the time, and they get caught from time to time.
IFG is bound by law to protect private assets from wildlife depredation. One of the ranches turned in a million dollar plus claim for crop loss, which was paid out. Until you change the legislators, this is going to continue. Most legislators are large landowners or ranchers, who belong to a certain lobbying group that has entirely too much influence at the statehouse.

freddyG

WKR
IFG is bound by law to protect private assets from wildlife depredation. One of the ranches turned in a million dollar plus claim for crop loss, which was paid out. Until you change the legislators, this is going to continue. Most legislators are large landowners or ranchers, who belong to a certain lobbying group that has entirely too much influence at the statehouse.
That is just the excuse they use. This happens every year with all sorts of wildlife. They took millions of salmon eggs to the landfill in Orofino instead of hatching and releasing them a couple of years ago. Are you going to tell me that Chinook eat crops?

The minority of your hunters account for 57% of the revenue. Run em all off then that will fix it for you. Locals acting possessive over a patch of ground they don't own and themselves only paid $50 bucks to be on cracks me up. Congratulations your secret public spot was found by a guy on his couch 2000 miles away with a laptop and he shelled out a couple grand to be there for a few days of the season. And odds are he has no idea how to hunt it or where to hunt it and would be extremely lucky to fill his tag most times. I would guess a lot more NRs get served up tag soup than residents in the grand scheme of things. Other hunters will be the downfall of hunting.
Locals do own it! So do the NR! If it's federal land we all own it right?

Your point is well taken though. I've only been hunting elk a short time but I've seen the pressure this year go through the roof and the elk go into deep hiding. Not sure if it's just a fluke due to weather, a covid 2020 thing, or something else I can't put my finger on. It's frustrating to drive up the road, ready to hike into anything, and finding other guys with the same plan. I hope it's a fluke and not the "new normal" :). And this seems to be true for pretty much every western state this year.

That is just the excuse they use. This happens every year with all sorts of wildlife. They took millions of salmon eggs to the landfill in Orofino instead of hatching and releasing them a couple of years ago. Are you going to tell me that Chinook eat crops?
I doubt anyone turned in a million dollar crop loss for chinook salmon.