Maccall idaho

Lowe43

FNG
Well we have been up here for several days now we got here last Monday actually so right at a week we are here untill Tuesday hunting elk and deer we have seen no animals and at all the places we tried only one looked like it was from the last six months while out hunting someone thought it was cute to write us a note on our truck " Go back to Texas hunt there NR shouldn't be allowed"
Personally I don't care if I get a animal but my friend who has never been to the mountains I would love for him to at least see something. Any one have suggestions without the bad NR comments

And Idaho is increasing nonresident prices next year. I wish i could help you but ive only hunted around hailey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braaap

WKR
I just got back from hunting that area and it didn’t go well. Last year we hunted the same general area as we did this year and we saw a lot more game and had some success. Lots of people this year and from looking at license plates they came from many different states.

Feel free to PM me.

P Carter

WKR
Tough, tough hunting up there this year. Lots of hunters, lots of wolves, not all that much game. Good luck.

KurtR

WKR
I went there the last 4 years and it was tough never killed an elk. Leave Friday for a different unit. Switching things up this year

My dad and uncles are in that unit now....haven't heard any reports but this year did not sound promising. Like anywhere, get as far back as you can, and hunt the nastiest, gnarliest drainages you can find....

I’ve been all over around there. It’s tough, no lie. Areas change and the info online is slow to update with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted unit 23 just west of McCall during the archery season for about a week. Very disappointing. Lots of people, spooky elk with no room to bugle, and grouchy, inconsiderate people both nonresidents and Idahoans.

I cut my Idaho stay short and returned to Oregon where I had better hunting and less people.

Last edited:
I don’t know the unit at all but has it been cold and snowy? We had the toughest year in my short elk hunting career. Then all of a sudden it dumped snow and temps plummeted. Elk EVERYWHERE now. Herds with 5 good bulls and 30 cows. Weather makes a huge difference, assuming you are in an area elk use year after year.

My go tos when I’m not seeing animals is: 1) get up high and glass, no luck?, 2) get 150 or so yards from timber that looks like promising elk bed down near a feeding meadow and cow party, no luck? 3) run and gun, cover LOTS of ground quickly looking for sign, no fresh sign? Find another promising spot and keep going. Can’t hunt elk until you know you’re in an area that holds elk at this moment. Sorry it’s tough, hang in there and enjoy it.

McCall zone units are a tough hunt. Lots of pressure from hunters and wolves. Which unit are you in?

ndbuck09

WKR
Dude, I saw your title in the list of posts and just rolled my eyes because you didn't even spell McCall correctly. I already knew what the post was going to be before I clicked on it thanks to that. You have to pay attention to the details and I think that carry's over to how one hunts. It's one of the most crowded regions to hunt in the whole state and it's towards the end of the season. Animals are in drainages that you don't want to get into. Not to be a dick, but it's as simple as that. Same can be said for any of the highly pressured regions around the state.

The non resident pressure on Idaho's public lands is frustrating for people who live here. If your success in seeing animals drastically declines over 5 years, wouldn't you be frustrated with increasing NR pressure and every joe blow youtuber/instagramer talking about IDAHO OTC? We can't go to Texas and roll out of the truck and hunt the big whitetails running around on Public Land.

87TT

WKR
More pressure from Boise than NR. But that's enough. How many people from the Treasure Valley have or know someone who has a place in McCall? Place is a Zoo.

KurtR

WKR
I can say that in my four years there i have seen about 10 people out hunting. Found some hell holes that i dont know if i could have gotten and elk out of just never found an elk. From all the talk of pressure i was expecting to see way more people

Michael54

WKR
Dude, I saw your title in the list of posts and just rolled my eyes because you didn't even spell McCall correctly. I already knew what the post was going to be before I clicked on it thanks to that. You have to pay attention to the details and I think that carry's over to how one hunts. It's one of the most crowded regions to hunt in the whole state and it's towards the end of the season. Animals are in drainages that you don't want to get into. Not to be a dick, but it's as simple as that. Same can be said for any of the highly pressured regions around the state.

The non resident pressure on Idaho's public lands is frustrating for people who live here. If your success in seeing animals drastically declines over 5 years, wouldn't you be frustrated with increasing NR pressure and every joe blow youtuber/instagramer talking about IDAHO OTC? We can't go to Texas and roll out of the truck and hunt the big whitetails running around on Public Land.
I guess you should just agree to pay non resident tag prices and have the state eliminate non resident hunting then.....if you knew what it was before you opened it why bother to open it and bother with a response? The guys having a rough go of it and was asking for some simple tips or pointers. Also his tag costs is the reason yours is so cheap. Non resident hunters aren't going away because the residents will never make up the financial difference needed.

Squincher

WKR
I guess you should just agree to pay non resident tag prices and have the state eliminate non resident hunting then.....if you knew what it was before you opened it why bother to open it and bother with a response? The guys having a rough go of it and was asking for some simple tips or pointers. Also his tag costs is the reason yours is so cheap. Non resident hunters aren't going away because the residents will never make up the financial difference needed.

And forego any federal funding that might come from NR's to manage any public land.

Michael54

WKR
And forego any federal funding that might come from NR's to manage any public land.
I get the frustration tbh. Overcrowding in your favorite spot sucks, But the same people freaking out about it are the same ones that would riot if their license costs and tag fees go up. Nrs pay 5 times as much or even more than the residents to use the same public land. In my opinion it gives them 5 times the right to be there.

amassi

WKR

How many more nonresident elk/deer tags are there for 2020 compared to 2015?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I get the frustration tbh. Overcrowding in your favorite spot sucks, But the same people freaking out about it are the same ones that would riot if their license costs and tag fees go up. Nrs pay 5 times as much or even more than the residents to use the same public land. In my opinion it gives them 5 times the right to be there.
5x the right to be there? Bull shit, bull shit and more bull shit. Your post reaks of entitlement.

Equal rights, different costs, same as any other state regarding res vs non res.

Michael54

WKR
5x the right to be there? Bull shit, bull shit and more bull shit. Your post reaks of entitlement.

Equal rights, different costs, same as any other state regarding res vs non res.
The minority of your hunters account for 57% of the revenue. Run em all off then that will fix it for you. Locals acting possessive over a patch of ground they don't own and themselves only paid $50 bucks to be on cracks me up. Congratulations your secret public spot was found by a guy on his couch 2000 miles away with a laptop and he shelled out a couple grand to be there for a few days of the season. And odds are he has no idea how to hunt it or where to hunt it and would be extremely lucky to fill his tag most times. I would guess a lot more NRs get served up tag soup than residents in the grand scheme of things. Other hunters will be the downfall of hunting.