Maccall idaho

freddyG

WKR
I doubt anyone turned in a million dollar crop loss for chinook salmon.
Right. There just isn’t any excuse for IFG to be eliminating elk in a capped tag unit, or taking salmon to the landfill. It’s just gross negligence. The sad part is that the two instances I mentioned here aren’t even the tip of the iceberg.

87TT

WKR
I like IDFG. Are they perfect? No. But for the most part they are doing a good job. Sorry you haters can’t find pushover deer and elk for cheap.

freddyG

WKR
I like IDFG. Are they perfect? No. But for the most part they are doing a good job. Sorry you haters can’t find pushover deer and elk for cheap.
I have absolutely no problem finding animals, and punching tags. It’s not difficult at all.

Having said that, the hunting today is vastly different than it was 20-30 years ago. The population of elk is a fraction of what it was. Everything is relative.

The wolf predation is severe, and only getting worse. There is absolutely no reason elk need to be shot at night by state employees, period.

I have absolutely no problem finding animals, and punching tags. It’s not difficult at all.

Having said that, the hunting today is vastly different than it was 20-30 years ago. The population of elk is a fraction of what it was. Everything is relative.

The wolf predation is severe, and only getting worse. There is absolutely no reason elk need to be shot at night by state employees, period.
You're right, hunting is vastly different than 20-30 years ago. Idaho's population has damn near doubled, no sh*! it's changed!! What's your solution to solving the elk depredation in Southern Idaho?

freddyG

WKR
You're right, hunting is vastly different than 20-30 years ago. Idaho's population has damn near doubled, no sh*! it's changed!! What's your solution to solving the elk depredation in Southern Idaho?
According to IFG, hunter numbers are a fraction of what they used to be. Yes, the entire population of the state is more, and it has some effect on populations.

The big issue is the landowners with the crop damage problems, don’t allow any hunting to happen on their land. Why do you think all of the elk hang out there?

Being a farm ground owner myself, I know what king of crop damage occurs when all of the ungulates swoop in on your crops. The solution is simple, but it isn’t profitable, so that’s why the problems persist.

According to IFG, hunter numbers are a fraction of what they used to be. Yes, the entire population of the state is more, and it has some effect on populations.

The big issue is the landowners with the crop damage problems, don’t allow any hunting to happen on their land. Why do you think all of the elk hang out there?

Being a farm ground owner myself, I know what king of crop damage occurs when all of the ungulates swoop in on your crops. The solution is simple, but it isn’t profitable, so that’s why the problems persist.
Well, I see we agree on the problem. But I didn't see a solution. We hit a record number of paid license holders in 2019 with 295,281.

freddyG

WKR

Well, I see we agree on the problem. But I didn't see a solution. We hit a record number of paid license holders in 2019 with 295,281.
A good solution would be to tie any damage payment to opening the land to hunting. Elk aren’t like deer, even moderate pressure makes them move on.

By the way, the elk I mentioned being shot at night weren’t anywhere near those farms you mentioned. They were deep in the big desert. There is just no excuse for that.

Michael54

WKR
Locals do own it! So do the NR! If it's federal land we all own it right?

Your point is well taken though. I've only been hunting elk a short time but I've seen the pressure this year go through the roof and the elk go into deep hiding. Not sure if it's just a fluke due to weather, a covid 2020 thing, or something else I can't put my finger on. It's frustrating to drive up the road, ready to hike into anything, and finding other guys with the same plan. I hope it's a fluke and not the "new normal" :). And this seems to be true for pretty much every western state this year.
I had already planned to restrict myself to hunting our property here and a family members in west virginia and use all of the tag money to some much needed gear upgrades. Plus side my vacation time went to the family and not the woods. Does it suck a bit absolutely but ill be in a better position with points for next year and will have some of the gear i've been wanting and the upgrades on my gun done to boot. I just don't understand the justifications for hunters to be jerks to other hunters regardless of where they are from. Our farm is posted solid for safety and liability reasons, but if someone knocks on my door with a kid odds are i'm gonna put them in the best possible spot to be successful. Bitching that someone else on public land is ruining your hunting on public land regardless of if its a guy from down the street or a guy from 3 states away is more destructive than helpful.

A good solution would be to tie any damage payment to opening the land to hunting. Elk aren’t like deer, even moderate pressure makes them move on.

By the way, the elk I mentioned being shot at night weren’t anywhere near those farms you mentioned. They were deep in the big desert. There is just no excuse for that.
That is a good solution, but how do you enforce that? Are you advocating forcing a landowner to admit people on his property? The elk down there are holing up in the corn fields and are impossible to get out. Instead of leaving, they hunker down and move at night. What is your source that they were shot in the Big Desert?

87TT

WKR
What I heard from the dfg was the elk were only coming in at night and the shooting was to try to "re educate" them to stay away and not to reduce numbers. 50% of that $1,000,000 payout was NR money.

freddyG

WKR
That is a good solution, but how do you enforce that? Are you advocating forcing a landowner to admit people on his property? The elk down there are holing up in the corn fields and are impossible to get out. Instead of leaving, they hunker down and move at night. What is your source that they were shot in the Big Desert?
There is obviously a lot of paperwork, and hoops to jump through to get government money. It’s not like they just hand you a roll of hundred dollar bills. Nobody is forced to do anything. I just don’t see how some of these guys want the elk gone, don’t want any hunting, but they will take other peoples cash. Makes no sense. The elk are not just going to magically disappear.

IFG admitted to shooting the elk on the desert. There was video, so it’s not like there wasn’t proof.

There is obviously a lot of paperwork, and hoops to jump through to get government money. It’s not like they just hand you a roll of hundred dollar bills. Nobody is forced to do anything. I just don’t see how some of these guys want the elk gone, don’t want any hunting, but they will take other peoples cash. Makes no sense. The elk are not just going to magically disappear.

IFG admitted to shooting the elk on the desert. There was video, so it’s not like there wasn’t proof.

Once again, until you change faces in the statehouse, this is going to continue.
108 of the elk came off of the landowners ground that filed the $1.1m claim. The rest were taken in 5 different zones from Weiser to Picabo to Minidoka.

sasquatch

WKR

They don’t mind hunting. They just don’t want to allow you to hunt for free. I’m sure they’d jump at letting you hunt for a few grand.

Funny huh? Seems almost like it’s just all about the money.

If it wasn’t about money and they just wanted them gone/less damage they’d allow a very controlled number of hunters on the land. It’s that simple or should be.

If they not willing to do that there should be some negative impact to the tax dollars they receive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

87TT

WKR
If I was a farmer, I wouldn't want a bunch of hunters running around my fields any more than the elk. Both would cause me damage. Neither would help me out as the elk would just come in when it was safe after dark and the hunters would trample it during the day. Ambushing an elk in a crop field sounds like baiting to me anyway. Most pay to play farm operations I hear of charge thousands of dollars to access. And all I hear is bitching about tag prices.

freddyG

WKR
They don’t mind hunting. They just don’t want to allow you to hunt for free. I’m sure they’d jump at letting you hunt for a few grand.

Funny huh? Seems almost like it’s just all about the money.

If it wasn’t about money and they just wanted them gone/less damage they’d allow a very controlled number of hunters on the land. It’s that simple or should be.

If they not willing to do that there should be some negative impact to the tax dollars they receive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Of course it’s about the money. One of the farmers that whines the most about this near mountain home, allows zero hunting though.

For the record, I wouldn’t hunt any of these guys fields if offered, I’m just looking at this from an unbiased view.

freddyG

WKR
If I was a farmer, I wouldn't want a bunch of hunters running around my fields any more than the elk. Both would cause me damage. Neither would help me out as the elk would just come in when it was safe after dark and the hunters would trample it during the day. Ambushing an elk in a crop field sounds like baiting to me anyway. Most pay to play farm operations I hear of charge thousands of dollars to access. And all I hear is bitching about tag prices.
Like I stated before, I have a farm.
I totally get where these guys are coming from, but it’s not like they have to let anyone and everyone to hunt it. Just a little pressure on Elk makes them leave. Most of the time when elk move, it’s out of the area. They don’t act anything like deer.

Like I stated before, I have a farm.
I totally get where these guys are coming from, but it’s not like they have to let anyone and everyone to hunt it. Just a little pressure on Elk makes them leave. Most of the time when elk move, it’s out of the area. They don’t act anything like deer.
FreddyG, I don’t think we are going to agree on the IFG elk issue, but I certainly commend you having a common sense approach on elk and farm ground. I enjoyed the back and forth with out resorts to name calling.

Well we have been up here for several days now we got here last Monday actually so right at a week we are here untill Tuesday hunting elk and deer we have seen no animals and at all the places we tried only one looked like it was from the last six months while out hunting someone thought it was cute to write us a note on our truck " Go back to Texas hunt there NR shouldn't be allowed"
Personally I don't care if I get a animal but my friend who has never been to the mountains I would love for him to at least see something. Any one have suggestions without the bad NR comments
Next time you should do enough research to learn how to spell the location you are going to....