Maccall idaho

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I think the spelling of McCall was troubling but hey it’s really no biggie. I primarily hunt 22 but have dabbled in the Mc Call zone. There are elk in it but just like 22 you gotta work for it. Elk are where they are and unfortunately that mean some deep nasty what in the hell am I thinking spots. Not sure of your commitment level so no judging but most the residents that bitch and moan don’t work that dang hard. We killed 3 bulls this year and nothing comes easy in otc uncapped unit’s. Even in my circle we get quitters after a few days. OnX some horrible looking stuff and test the water’s.

ndbuck09

WKR
I only read the responses on the first page because I don't have time to read all 5, but I will say this. The post was another one where someone wants to be led to a spot on a public forum. That's the most frustrating part of this. Also, in years past of leftover elk tags, residents purchased the leftovers at NR prices. This meant that there were less total Non Residents hunting in 2015 to 2020. Additionally, the note about escouting and finding a spot does not describe what this whole thread is about. That's an entirely different situation and wouldn't warrant self-admittedly calling this whole thing out. I have and will non-resident hunt other states but also don't try to hot-spot areas so that's the issue in this thread. Thanks.

elk hunting is tough. Some of us had gone years without seeing them.
if the average hunter puts out average energy, they will see no elk and lots of hunters.
that is what i have learned, hunting elk in idaho.

Rock-o

WKR
If you don't see game but see lots of hunters. You're in the wrong spot. Probably not near far enough in. Pretty simple logic in my mind.

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
Well we died hunt hard we tried 5 spots we drove In and high as we could with the utv and walked several miles to glass it was really not productive we saw 2 does the whole 9 days spoke to a outfitter in warren that said the are was incredibly slow this year for them too. So there is that. I didn't care to take a animal but was hoping my buddy could have a opportunity as this was probably a once and a lifetime deal for him

Calbuck

WKR
If you don't see game but see lots of hunters. You're in the wrong spot. Probably not near far enough in. Pretty simple logic in my mind.

Dude I hiked up away from the crowds and glassed my eyes out and turned up 5 deer and one decent buck that was just plain untouchable..the lack of does and fawns in the glass was not a good sign to me..up to and above treeline. Lots of roadless country. Sorry your statement about getting deep enough is just plain bs in my opinion

Get as deep as you want. If you aren’t in the right spot, doesn’t matter. Knowing where the elk are is the key :)

This was a tough year. I think the elk up high had no reason to move until it got cold and snowy. As soon as the weather changes I found herd after herd after herd exactly where they were supposed to be.

I've hunted idaho's, unit 23/24/25 for 33 + yrs
Mcall zone has, plenty of game, and it holds some monster bucks, & bulls but you won't find them from the front seat. Tighten up your laces
Look at the map find the steepest nastiest thickest most hostile inaccessible ground you can,, that's where the big boys are goona be.
Idaho has the 3rd largest elk herd in the lower 48 (127,000. Animals) and it ranks second in trophy mule deer (Colorado being #1)

RDavis27

FNG
Maybe it’s just me but I doubt it. My friends in Idaho tell me it’s the worst they’ve ever seen..I think too many doe tags too many general season tags too much winter kill has taken a toll..time to cut WAY back on harvest and get rid of doe hunts for a few years
Not sure about how I feel about the doe tags, but yeah too many opportunities during the rut. They are starting to cut back a bit in 10A. At least time to hunt in the late season (after Thanksgiving). What part of Idaho are your friends from?

RDavis27

FNG
To be clear, fish and game will never cut back
because they love the $$$...us as the hunters need to guide them toward more conservative management..maybe cut the resident general tag allotment
I totally agree. I've set on focus groups dealing with funding IDFG. I think they need funds from a general tax (e.g. sales tax). However, the Sportsman of Idaho are really vocal that they don't want fund coming from anything other than license and tags fees. They are worried about other groups (wildlife watchers) having influence on the hunting rules and regs. They want IDFG to only listen to the sportsman. I don't think that there's a whole lot of truth to the fear and a general tax funding stream would allow them to cut back on needed license and tag revenue. I used to work for the outfit and I know that the Wildlife Manager of the Clearwater Region often times in the past has put forth recommendations to Boise to reduce elk tags in the Clearwater. Only to be told no by Boise that the agency couldn't afford the loss of revenue. So a lot of IDFG folks recognize the issue, but department heads feel financially strapped. I do think that with revenue from a general tax IDFG would cut back on tags.

RDavis27

FNG
I've hunted idaho's, unit 23/24/25 for 33 + yrs
Mcall zone has, plenty of game, and it holds some monster bucks, & bulls but you won't find them from the front seat. Tighten up your laces
Look at the map find the steepest nastiest thickest most hostile inaccessible ground you can,, that's where the big boys are goona be.
Idaho has the 3rd largest elk herd in the lower 48 (127,000. Animals) and it ranks second in trophy mule deer (Colorado being #1)
Agree! Go deep or go home:)