Macomb Herd, Alaska

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Has anyone done this? Got a few questions. Going in solo next week on my bike. Trying to plan routes, find trails, etc. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
Yes......it's been very wet but improving.
I'm not seeing many caribou on this west end near Delta but friends are reporting some up the Robertson and Johnson Rivers. I think the harvest has been slow with so much rain.

OP
Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes......it's been very wet but improving.
I'm not seeing many caribou on this west end near Delta but friends are reporting some up the Robertson and Johnson Rivers. I think the harvest has been slow with so much rain.

I was going to go in on the east side by Rhoads creek...I have no clue of the area. Think there would be anything around there? I don’t know where the herd is.

VernAK

WKR
Usually, if going in 1408 trail to Rhodes Creek, we don't encounter many caribou. Stay on the ATV trail skirting the mountain and glass along the way.......cross Granite Creek....go up hill and follow trail left to Morningstar valley . Chances of finding caribou are better in there.

from my limited experience there are no giant herds of them. they are normally pretty spread out from the rich all the way east to tok. Only about 1600 animals in the "herd" i believe. We got ours high up in the alpine when we did the hunt. for 4 days of hunting we saw mostly ones and twos and one bigger group of maybe 10 late in the evening which one of the cows had a collar which was cool to see.

OP
Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m thinking of changing my route and heading up the Macomb plateau now. I figured it was only smaller groups and one offs. I’ve only got 2 days, so I’m trying to make the best of it!

oenanthe

WKR
I've packed out a total of nine Macomb caribou over the years. Was hoping for the tenth this year, but got rained and fogged out last weekend.

You'll find ones and twos and small groups of caribou anywhere in the mountains between Delta and Tok. I don't think I've ever seen a group of more than ten. They are pretty much constantly on the move, so glass, glass, glass.

The creeks are really high this year; do treat them with respect. Good luck!

OP
Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I've packed out a total of nine Macomb caribou over the years. Was hoping for the tenth this year, but got rained and fogged out last weekend.

You'll find ones and twos and small groups of caribou anywhere in the mountains between Delta and Tok. I don't think I've ever seen a group of more than ten. They are pretty much constantly on the move, so glass, glass, glass.

I’m solo, so creek crossings will be avoided if possible. Any pointers on where to park the truck and start the bike trek?

oenanthe

WKR
Most of the places where a bike would be useful also involve pretty deep creek crossings. Or a very long bike ride (like Vern suggested) to avoid the big crossings. If you go up to the plateau itself I believe you're allowed to park at the airstrip which is a little ways in from the road. Using a bike there would save a mile or two of walking on dirt road but you would have to stash the bike where the hiking trail starts.

OP
Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Most of the places where a bike would be useful also involve pretty deep creek crossings. Or a very long bike ride (like Vern suggested) to avoid the big crossings. If you go up to the plateau itself I believe you're allowed to park at the airstrip which is a little ways in from the road. Using a bike there would save a mile or two of walking on dirt road but you would have to stash the bike where the hiking trail starts.

Thanks. Yeah, There’s not much out there in this herd, so research is hard. And I don’t make it up there that often to scout. You can’t bike on the trail up the plateau? I hadn’t seen anything about there. How beary is the area? Trying to decide if I want my pistol or binos on my chest.

NUGGET

WKR
Thanks. Yeah, There’s not much out there in this herd, so research is hard. And I don’t make it up there that often to scout. You can’t bike on the trail up the plateau? I hadn’t seen anything about there. How beary is the area? Trying to decide if I want my pistol or binos on my chest.

Don’t worry about bears. IF you make it to the top of the plateau, and that’s a big if, there will be bou.

good luck be safe

oenanthe

WKR

No, you can't bike up to the plateau. It's a wicked steep narrow hiking trail. I used to race mountain bikes at a high level and would not even consider trying to bike up there.

Go light on this hunt. No need for a pistol.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from the Macomb Plateau yesterday. My advice would be to forget the bike and bring hip waders for that trail. The trail is only dry for about 1/3 mile before you hit water for the next 1.5 miles. The water gets up to knee deep in spots and it's muck on the bottom. You can avoid the deep water by picking your way though the woods but it is still ankle deep or deeper along the way. Once you start to gain elevation and get out of the water, the bike would not work well on the trail (boulders, trees, roots across the trail, alder busting in areas). The trail is steep in spots and you gain all of the 3500 feet of elevation in the last two miles. If you are solo, it will take you 2 trips to bring a caribou down from the Plateau, so 20+ miles of hiking. It's definitely a beautiful area and a very rewarding hunt, it's also a good workout!

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
oenanthe, were you up on the plateau this last Saturday? Which group were you with?

OXN939

WKR

Same off the Taylor last weekend- low cloud deck and minimal viz a lot of the time. The Macomb herd area is a resident only hunt, correct?

oenanthe

WKR
oenanthe, were you up on the plateau this last Saturday? Which group were you with?

No, I hunted Aug. 11-13 when the weather was pretty bad. I drove back down on Tuesday and got back late last night. Successful hunt but the caribou were further back than usual, way up high near the snowfields. I carried out two big loads and am thoroughly whipped.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
oenanthe, ya that's where the caribou were at, we got lucky out in the middle of the plateau as we were headed that direction. My guess is that they headed up high to get away from bugs when the weather got nice/hot. That must have been one hell of a hike, props to you for doing it twice!