Macros?

So I am trying to get back in shape and am down 12 pounds in the last 10 days. I am trying to eat clean and keep seeing people say watch your macros. My macros after putting everything I consume into the MyFitnessPal app which I need for my Garmin watch I am essentially consuming with what I have always considered a balanced diet and they work out to roughly equal macros. This according to the app is way too few carbs and high on protein.

What should I be doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Traditionally weight loss nutrition is: tracking overall calories and keeping it below your pre set #.
Fat Loss:

• 500 calories under maintenance daily
  • High protein (40 percent of total calories)
  • Low carbs (20 percent of total calories)
  • High fat (40 percent of total calories)

OP
F
Traditionally weight loss nutrition is: tracking overall calories and keeping it below your pre set #.
Fat Loss:

• 500 calories under maintenance daily
  • High protein (40 percent of total calories)
  • Low carbs (20 percent of total calories)
  • High fat (40 percent of total calories)
Thanks been doing kettlebells and spin bike intervals so HIIT is being taken care of other than aggravating old injuries from college football that were made significantly worse from a construction accident in 2015 where I fell through steps and aggravated the 6 bulging discs to the point of pins and needles down my right arm and if I do things just right I can lose the strength in my left arm for upwards of a couple months where I can't even lift a gallon of milk and be in such bad pain I will need to sleep in a chair for about a week after aggravating it. Which becomes a vicious cycle of eating too much because my activities have gone down so much.

Sorry for the rant just frustrated.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
The reason I put the link in is that I quoted it for the macro %. I think that fasted liss is the best long term fat loss exercise...have had proven results with that myself. Long duration, frequent cardio at low heart rate intensity or conversation pace. Good luck with your ventures!

So I am trying to get back in shape and am down 12 pounds in the last 10 days. I am trying to eat clean and keep seeing people say watch your macros. My macros after putting everything I consume into the MyFitnessPal app which I need for my Garmin watch I am essentially consuming with what I have always considered a balanced diet and they work out to roughly equal macros. This according to the app is way too few carbs and high on protein.

What should I be doing?

**** off that app.

Eat real food.
If it existed 500 years ago as food, it's food.
If it has an ingredient list it's not food.

Dr Paul Saladino and Dr Sean Baker are two chaps to look up, and listen to their podcasts.

Tmo2295

FNG
What’s your main goals? Lose weight? My fool proof way of macros has always been 1g of protein per lb if body weight, fat 20-30% of calories intake (depending how low my calories are) and fill the rest with carbs. Always had success with that with either gaining or losing weight

OP
F
What’s your main goals? Lose weight? My fool proof way of macros has always been 1g of protein per lb if body weight, fat 20-30% of calories intake (depending how low my calories are) and fill the rest with carbs. Always had success with that with either gaining or losing weight
Trying to lose fat. I don't care what I weigh since no matter what I will be considered overweight due to the amount of muscle I have. My cardiologist said he would love me under 210 but he said that is unlikely due to my muscle. He then said under 230.

Tmo2295

FNG
Trying to lose fat. I don't care what I weigh since no matter what I will be considered overweight due to the amount of muscle I have. My cardiologist said he would love me under 210 but he said that is unlikely due to my muscle. He then said under 230.
Losing weight slowly 500 calories max under Maintence and eating 1g of protein per lb and strength would be the best advice naturally to lose fat and maintain as much muscle as possible. As someone who watches a lot of YouTube and into bodybuilding older videos from moreplatesmoredates has a lot of great info

OP
F
Losing weight slowly 500 calories max under Maintence and eating 1g of protein per lb and strength would be the best advice naturally to lose fat and maintain as much muscle as possible. As someone who watches a lot of YouTube and into bodybuilding older videos from moreplatesmoredates has a lot of great info
Lifting is an issue for me with 6 bulging discs. 3 in my neck and 3 in my lumbar. This was caused by college football and made much worse in 2015 after falling through steps in a construction accident. Basic lifts like bench, flys and even pushups can aggravate my neck and cause me to lose all my strength in my left arm to the point I can't lift a gallon of milk for 2-3 months and I have pins and needles down my right arm 20-30% of every day. The pins and needles were getting better after I bought a recurve last November but during my normal 50 shots before work today my fingers could barely hold the string with my right hand and arm shaking uncontrollably as I tried to draw. I stopped after 10 shots. I

For my strength training besides the recurve which I was drawing with both arms I have found a basic kettle bell workout consisting of swings, deadlifts to upright rows, overhead press, bent rows and squats have not aggravated my injuries. I have also been doing a peloton spin class in the basement.

OP
F
Have you been to a neurologist?
No just a Orthopedist and he has taken x-rays and he says I don't need surgery based upon it but wants me to get an MRI but insurance denied me and over time it gets better for a while and then I overdo it and aggravate it and it starts again. He is also amazed with the damage he sees I have as much neck mobility as I do.

I have literally had 100's of stingers down my left shoulder and arm from tackles. When the ortho heard me say it he asked when it started and I told him my junior year in HS it got so bad my freshman year in college I wore three horse collars to immobilize my head and they were about to attach straps from my era holes to the shoulder pads similar to what the navy does for the back of the helmet so your head cant be snapped forward and break your neck like the kid from Rutgers did a few years ago. When he heard my story he told me today no kid would have been allowed to play past my junior year in HS.

My 10 year younger brother was an all american wrestler, was a HS wrestling coach and MMA fighter beating Glover Texeira the current UFC light heavyweight champion in a submission wrestling match has had 5 spinal fusions and needs another because none have healed correctly making him be in constant pain. Of the 6 people I know who have had spinal fusion only 1 was able to live his life normally after so I am in no rush to get the MRI and possibly need surgery based upon those results.

amassi

WKR
40%p-30%f-30%c is about as simple as it gets for establishing a macro baseline. Allows plenty of protein, adequate carbs and fats

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TxxAgg

WKR
No just a Orthopedist and he has taken x-rays and he says I don't need surgery based upon it but wants me to get an MRI but insurance denied me and over time it gets better for a while and then I overdo it and aggravate it and it starts again. He is also amazed with the damage he sees I have as much neck mobility as I do.

I have literally had 100's of stingers down my left shoulder and arm from tackles. When the ortho heard me say it he asked when it started and I told him my junior year in HS it got so bad my freshman year in college I wore three horse collars to immobilize my head and they were about to attach straps from my era holes to the shoulder pads similar to what the navy does for the back of the helmet so your head cant be snapped forward and break your neck like the kid from Rutgers did a few years ago. When he heard my story he told me today no kid would have been allowed to play past my junior year in HS.

My 10 year younger brother was an all american wrestler, was a HS wrestling coach and MMA fighter beating Glover Texeira the current UFC light heavyweight champion in a submission wrestling match has had 5 spinal fusions and needs another because none have healed correctly making him be in constant pain. Of the 6 people I know who have had spinal fusion only 1 was able to live his life normally after so I am in no rush to get the MRI and possibly need surgery based upon those results.
I had a disc replaced in August and feel light years better. It's different than a fusion. Get an MRI. It's worth it have the info and see a neurologist and then make a decision from there...at least you'll have all the facts.

I'd ditch MFP and use Carbon Diet Coach. I made the change a few months ago and it's freaking amazing. It's like a dietian in an app plus a food tracker.

Yeah don't eat back your supposed cals burned. Fitness trackers can be as high as 28% off. I just use mine along with steps to see how active I was. Seriously though Layne Norton hit a home run on his app!