Made a smoked ham today

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Last week I was going through my freezer and decided i needed to do something with a rear leg off a wild missouri hog. I don't think i can stomach any more pulled pork, so I thought I might try curing it and somking it as a bone in ham.

I put it in a brine with some pink salt for 6 days and smoked it today for about 9 hours.

Turned out better than expected for my first time. The only thing I would do different is trim off some of the fat. I love the fat but it is a little much. Now I wish I had more piggies!

20190120_174935_001.jpg20190120_175835.jpg

Clarktar

WKR
Oh man!! I've been wanting to try a ham for sometime now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
Damn that looks good. I finally picked up a smoker after wanting one forever. Waiting for the weather to warm up a little to give it a go.

TomM

FNG
That looks good. Wife has a smoker on my birthday list. Used to smoke a lot of salmon back in the day when I was an AK red, man it was good. Never done any meat, but have wild pork and looking to learn.

What’s in your brine besides pink salt?

Goliatlas

FNG
Looks very mouthwatering, like it with lots of moist and flavor, my dad brine the meat for 36-48 hours before it's grilled/smoked. The meat is wrapped and refrigerated to fully cure the meat.

That looks awesome. Don't have the opportunity to chase hogs here in Montana but I'm hoping to get a spring bear so that I can try my hand at smoking a bear ham. Congratulations and I'm sure that pig tastes as good as it looks!