Made in the USA sleeping bags

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
My enlightened equipment enigma is made right here in mn and ppl are always shocked at its weight

My enlightened equipment enigma is made right here in mn and ppl are always shocked at its weight

NOTE: If it is important to you, Enlightened Equipment has "stock" Revelation quilts that are sewn overseas and filled here. To get 100% made in USA Revelation quilts, make sure you buy through their "Custom Revelation" page.

ENIGMA quilts are always made in USA, even the stock "ready to ship" versions.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I've taken my enlightened equipment revelation 20 degree quilt down to 17 degrees. I was very impressed. I don't get to do a whole lot of cold weather camping so when I finally got to put my quilt to the test I was excited that it turned out to be a success.

Bkdc

FNG
You will never get 100% made in the USA. It will be made in the USA using imported materials. Or, finished in the USA, partially assembled overseas. I believe this is what Western Mountaineering is now doing on some bags with much of the stitching done in Canada. I was saddened when Allen Edmonds decided to move the stitching of its shoe leather uppers to the Dominican Republic and sacrifice Wisconsin jobs with only the assembly being done in the US.

Feathered Friends is 100% sewn and assembled in the USA. But the high tech synthetic textiles are coming from abroad. As is the down. Whether the choice is ultra-high quality Polish down, ultra-high quality Hungarian down, or ultra-high quality goose down from some other European country, we’re not producing goose or duck down filling in the USA. And the responsible down standard (RDS) label should be taken with a grain of salt as live-plucked 800-850FP goose down from China is making its way into the RDS supply chain for mega-manufacturers. So it’s best to stick to manufacturers who know and audit their suppliers of European down such as Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering instead of companies buying RDS down without identification of its supplier (most manufacturers, even niche manufacturers in the USA). I think Feathered Friends was using 100% Polish goose down from a single Polish supplier at one time. I don’t know if this has changed.

Valandre is not American, but it takes pride in using only mature down sourced 100% from Toulouse French grey geese - a single source which is not getting adulterated by unethical Chinese pluckers although some may take offense to the French appetite for foie gras.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
At zero degrees, you’ll be carrying a lot of extra weight (but even more bothersome than that to me is the extra volume in the pack as lofty 800+ fill power down bags pack down much much smaller) if you don’t choose down and if you don’t choose a mummy. Some of the wide Western Mountaineering bags give you a lot of freedom to move around even though they are mummy style. The Sequoia is built with tons of room. However, if you don’t fill the space, the sleeping bag will be less efficient as there is excess air/space to heat.

Off hand, I can’t think of a made-in-USA front zip that will take you down to zero.
Nunatak makes a center zip in whatever spec you want. I can think of that one right off hand lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bkdc

FNG
Looks like their standard is 28 and 18 degrees F. To make a 0 degree bag, they would have to create a different design with thicker baffling and larger outer shell. Or severely overstuff the 18 degree bag which is not efficient use of down loft. There is a limit to what you can do with a center zip. At a certain point (probably 15 degree rating), you need to design a neck baffle to trap heat. I guess you can slum it and us a down jacket wrapped around your neck ;). The North Face Inferno is built for cold but who wants to buy made in Asia and support the big corporation?

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looks like their standard is 28 and 18 degrees F. To make a 0 degree bag, they would have to create a different design with thicker baffling and larger outer shell. Or severely overstuff the 18 degree bag which is not efficient use of down loft. There is a limit to what you can do with a center zip. At a certain point (probably 15 degree rating), you need to design a neck baffle to trap heat. I guess you can slum it and us a down jacket wrapped around your neck ;). The North Face Inferno is built for cold but who wants to buy made in Asia and support the big corporation?
You call and talk to Jan and he'll make whatever you want. Those spec charts are just starting points. Will it be cheap? Nope. He does a lot of custom work. You can even get a zero degree Raku wearable bag. The only thing limiting what you get from those guys would be your budget, and good gear is never cheap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B

badams14

FNG
Thanks for the the help, ordered an EE Covert today. Couldn’t fully commit to a quilt so I went with a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04