Magnet issues?

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning.

I’ve got a decent point and shoot camera, but historically, I haven’t used it a ton. It never seems to be handy, partly because I worry about it getting damaged. For this fall, I’m determined to use it more. I’ve been looking at a pouch to go on my bino harness to keep it there. My harness and rangefinder pouch are Outdoor Vision, and I really like their products. This setup could work really well, I would just have to be careful in rain and when belly crawling, that kind of thing. Anyone have any idea whether a magnetic closure on those pouches will cause an issue with my Sony RX100?

Thanks.

OP
S

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know about the camera but they screw with my GPS.
Really? The pouch I’m looking at is their GPS pouch, and it has magnets. You’d think that, if magnets mess with GPS, they wouldn’t do that.

carmanusa

FNG
I found the magnets in my Sitka bino pack messed with my Garmin while holding it naturally with my hand in front...needed a new harness anyway so searched for one without have the fhf now.

87TT

WKR
Won't hurt it. It just messes with the compass. I had to reset the compass and hold it away from the magnet to check it. Once it got close, it would point at the magnets.

OP
S

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. So might be an issue with GPS, but likely not an issue with a camera. Thanks.

87TT

WKR
GPS works fine, it's just that the compass that orients the map gets pointed at you. So it shouldn't.