Magneto speed chronograph

huntsd

WKR
I am looking to buy a chronograph during Black Friday. Seems like most like the magneto speed sporter. Does anyone know if point of impact will be thrown off since it’s strapped to the barrel? Would it be worth the upgrade to the v3 model? Also I have a muzzle break will this present an issue? Any other suggestions on a chronograph?

i shoot factory just looking to verify muzzle speed for dialing. Thanks for the input!

Mine will change poi up to 2" at 100 yds (Sporter model). I have not used it with a brake.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sporter. No problem with brakes. Poi shift happens as described. 1 or 2 inches at 100 yrds. I've also seen a change in group size on 1 or 2 rifles.

tdhanses

WKR
I have the sporter and use it with rifles with a mb. It will change your poi, i use it for testing not grouping.

I wouldn’t zero your gun in with it on but its fine with my brake and to get velocity

sndmn11

WKR
So are you guys sending 3-5 rounds down range to get velocity then taking off?

I tend to shoot at steel at distance when learning velocity. I understand that if I zero at 100, that means I am close to a 200 zero with the bayonet attached and then I just change that value in strelok. Then I shoot and have fun.
It literally takes 2 minutes to install/remove.

Lab radar is pretty cool and the next step up.

Stalker69

WKR
Why do you guys favor this over the others. Seems like a bit of a pain in the ass. Even more so then the shoot throughs. I have a shoot through now, was looking at these magneto ones, but glad I read this thread. I will be buying a LabRadar when they become available again.

4ester

WKR
Why do you guys favor this over the others. Seems like a bit of a pain in the ass. Even more so then the shoot throughs. I have a shoot through now, was looking at these magneto ones, but glad I read this thread. I will be buying a LabRadar when they become available again.

Most of those shoot throughs are garbage, distance from gun, lighting all effect them. Lucky if your within 50 FPS. I think the draw to the magnetospeed is they are super accurate…. Like 1-2 FPS. I have one of each. I think Labradar would be the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have an Arca or picatinny rail on the bottom of your stock you could use something like the MK Machining Magnetospeed mount. I use it on all my rifles and it has zero point of impact change because it’s not mounted off/or touching the barrel at all.

Do these work good? I’ve heard some people say they work well and others say they don’t give accurate readings

I have not heard anyone complain of the readings. The complaints i have heard is to poi shift since it is strapped to the barrel. I have not had any complaints with mine.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I got the Sporter a few months ago. Works great. I’ll shoot a few, check & record the MV numbers, remove it, then shoot for accuracy if I like the MV numbers. So far it has been dependable every time, and it gives you confidence in your load to see repeated shot with MV’s all very close each time.

It’s like it can tell you either “yep, you have a good MV node” or “NO, dipstick….. this ain’t good!” 😁

Harvey_NW

WKR
Do these work good? I’ve heard some people say they work well and others say they don’t give accurate readings
They work great for velocity numbers as a starting point, but you'll still always have to true a calculator at range. They definitely mess with barrel harmonics though, I sold mine and bought a decent shoot through and have been much happier being able to get velocity numbers without affecting groups.

They work great for velocity numbers as a starting point, but you'll still always have to true a calculator at range. They definitely mess with barrel harmonics though, I sold mine and bought a decent shoot through and have been much happier being able to get velocity numbers without affecting groups.
What did you buy? I've been trying to figure out which chrono to go for. I like the quick setup of the magnetto speed but was leaning more towards a decent shoot through as well. I've heard good things about the new Caldwell.