Magneto speed mount mod

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
I got tired of the heavy weight MKM mount mostly due to the steel rod. But I needed to add another rod to reach the end of my suppressor. So I found 5/8 fiberglass rod and replaced the the steel rod it cut the weight in half and is still very sturdy and stiff. It only cost $5 extra dollars than ordering another steel rod to thread into the existing steel rod. I have heard it’s a pain keeping them tight and not shaking loose. Hopefully this will fix my issues.

Attachments

• 3CA8CCD5-D635-4C62-AAE2-6A533B794EAC.jpeg
    3CA8CCD5-D635-4C62-AAE2-6A533B794EAC.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 80

BCsteve

WKR
Thanks! I also have an MKM mount that came with my used V3. I’ve only used my magnetospeed mounted to the barrel so far but I’m looking at non barrel mounted options.

OP
M

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
It works great I think the fiberglass rod will be even better.

Following. My rods come loose a lot.
Have you tried blue or purple Loctite to keep them from coming apart? Purple is the ultra low strength version so you don't have any hassle when you go to disassemble them. I believe Vibra Tite has been used successfully in the past as well.

I can not say how or what just yet, but our new generation mount addressed this issue and heavy steel rods are no longer a concern.

Reactions: Duh

Duh

WKR
Have you tried blue or purple Loctite to keep them from coming apart? Purple is the ultra low strength version so you don't have any hassle when you go to disassemble them. I believe Vibra Tite has been used successfully in the past as well.

I can not say how or what just yet, but our new generation mount addressed this issue and heavy steel rods are no longer a concern.
I guess I never thought about it. I’m definitely going to try it now. Keep us updated! I’ll buy the new product for sure

I guess I never thought about it. I’m definitely going to try it now. Keep us updated! I’ll buy the new product for sure
You might not have to buy an entire unit. We are not certain yet, but we are looking to design the new components to be backward compatible so the owners of our older generations can buy parts of the new kit for a lower price. But... that is not confirmed yet. There is at least one part (unfortunately the cool part) that will not be compatible.

I can publicly say that the new version will be tool free so you don't need to drag another two additional allen keys to the range. Two less things to remember in your range bag. Everyone always seems to forget to bring Shit to the range and that would eliminate some room for error.

I went on a special trip recently (think guys weekend away) that was planned way in advance and people traveled from out of the State to hang out. I brought some cool MKM R&D toys as well as some neat stuff for the guys to shoot as we have cool things not everyone has access to. I spent a lot of time packing the night before and day of and showed up with all of our cool stuff......... and forgot all the ammo at home. I hate that my range bag is full, but I always forget something critical and it is something different each time I go out.

OP
M

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
How has it hold up long term?
We are producing a new generation of these and are changing some things up.
No issues at all and I’m not the gentle with it my it rides in my tripod case in between the legs. Battery life is crazy good also. It works get with my mk machining adapter so I don’t have it stuck on my barrel. That is worth it if you have pictanny or arca on all you guns.

No issues at all and I’m not the gentle with it my it rides in my tripod case in between the legs. Battery life is crazy good also. It works get with my mk machining adapter so I don’t have it stuck on my barrel. That is worth it if you have pictanny or arca on all you guns.
Maybe you didn't see the username. :) I am the Operations manager of MKM asking for feedback on our mount that you modified.

We are moving to something more lightweight with the next generation of mount and wanted to see how your carbon fiber rod holds up under recoil.

OP
M

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
I did not even look at it. I can send some pictures if you want. The fiber glass rod has held up great no issues with slipping or anything.

Don't go through all the trouble, but if it is super not out of your way, sure. I really would just need the weight of the rod itself though.

How long is the Rod section?

OP
M

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
There is a picture up top. Nothing to fancy just a 5/8 fiberglass rod instead of the supplied metal rod.

Attachments

• IMG_1494.jpeg
    IMG_1494.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1495.jpeg
    IMG_1495.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1496.jpeg
    IMG_1496.jpeg