MagnetoSpeed Chronos

I'm looking to purchase my first chronograph and have been giving the Sport model a look at $179. From the videos and reviews that I've seen so far, they seem like a straight forward, accurate and convenient unit to set up and use, even in shit weather. Does anyone here have any experience with them, or anything positive/negative to comment? The V3 model has a bunch of whistles and bells, but not sure it would be worth twice the price at $360.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
I have the sporter and it works great. I have used it for 17 to 30 caliber and it work well enough in my mind to do what’s needed. I had to up the sensitivity of the unit to get it to read the 17s but other than that I’ve had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the sporter for the last two years, works great. I’ve used it from .22 caliber to .50 cal muzzleloader. Easy and straightforward to use. Velocities have pretty much matched up with trajectories in the rifles I shoot long range with; or close enough to make minimal tweaks to bc or velocity in my ballistics program to get good dope.

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
just to ask a question on the sporter, does it work well with a carbon barrel and break? Sorry not trying to high jack your thread, but i'm kinda in the same boat as the OP.

BCsteve

WKR
I’ve got the V3, it’s great. Never missed at shot, can install it without having to wait for a ceasefire, no tripod needed, etc…The only downside is that it can affect POI and your safer chrono’ing shots and shooting for groups in separate steps.

My sporter works even strapped to my suppressor. Didn’t really value the extra functions of the v3, since I only use the chrono for a starting point. YMMV

The battery compartment on the older models was a little flimsy, so I mounted the display to an old reloading die box.

OP
eaglemountainman
I’ve got the V3, it’s great. Never missed at shot, can install it without having to wait for a ceasefire, no tripod needed, etc…The only downside is that it can affect POI and your safer chrono’ing shots and shooting for groups in separate steps.
I kind of suspected as much, the way it straps to the barrel. My intention is to use it to find nodes that I can then develop from there. Then shoot for groups, under perfect conditions, exactly as you stated.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
just to ask a question on the sporter, does it work well with a carbon barrel and break? Sorry not trying to high jack your thread, but i'm kinda in the same boat as the OP.
Yes, works just fine on a carbon barrels. I have used mine on several Christensen barrels.

Harvey_NW

WKR
The sporter always seemed very accurate and worked well for me. My only gripe was that on sporter or medium barrels it would shift POI and open up groups, so I could only rely on velocity data when using it. I sold it and picked up a prochrono hoping to be able to get velocity without affecting accuracy. Going to try it over the weekend.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider

I’ve used mine with a very large 30 cal break with no issues. There is enough room in the curved section to support even larger breaks. The data is gathered from the rail section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I use my V3 on my 300 win mag with a carbon fiber barrel with no issues. It was missing a few rounds every once in a while until I adjusted the sensitivity and now it catches everything

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I have noticed it will cause my groups to open up a bit though, so wouldn’t suggest using it for that application. Then again this is by far the most picky barrel I’ve ever shot so I’m not sure if anyone else is having that issue

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
My sporter works even strapped to my suppressor. Didn’t really value the extra functions of the v3, since I only use the chrono for a starting point. YMMV

The battery compartment on the older models was a little flimsy, so I mounted the display to an old reloading die box.
What suppressor is that? Just put the V block .25-2 inches from the "muzzle" end of the can? Anything else for tips?

The sporter always seemed very accurate and worked well for me. My only gripe was that on sporter or medium barrels it would shift POI and open up groups, so I could only rely on velocity data when using it. I sold it and picked up a prochrono hoping to be able to get velocity without affecting accuracy. Going to try it over the weekend.

Exactly what I did other than I replaced mine with a Caldwell.