MagnetoSpeed Chronos

OP
eaglemountainman
$180 would be a drop in the bucket to not have to pay for/wear hearing aids
I'm 64 y/o and have been shooting my whole life. My hearing is still very acute. I wear protection at the range always. So far, an occasional field shot on game, a few times a year, has made no negative impact. I stillhunt, and a muzzle heavy rifle would not work for me in that scenario. Plus I don't like the aesthetics of a rifle wearing a can. But I'm happy if it works for you.

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 64 y/o and have been shooting my whole life. My hearing is still very acute. I wear protection at the range always. So far, an occasional field shot on game, a few times a year, has made no negative impact. I stillhunt, and a muzzle heavy rifle would not work for me in that scenario. Plus I don't like the aesthetics of a rifle wearing a can. But I'm happy if it works for you.
Just hit a nerve is all. I pay more than $200 per year for hearing aids, would pay a lot more not to have em while being able to hear. Always have doubled up on ear protection at the range to help save what's left. I bought a 6 lb rifle (without scope) just so a 10 oz can wouldn't bother me. At any rate, glad your hearing is still good.

The sporter works great for me without a can. Had a little trouble with it on subsonic 300 BLK under 900 fps that I couldn't resolve but not a big deal since I want to be close to 1000 fps anyways.

Good luck this year hunting.

Bought a spotter two weeks ago to get velocity on a .223 I'm going to (try to) use for PRS. Couldn't get it to record a single shot. Returned it and ordered a LabRadar.

What suppressor is that? Just put the V block .25-2 inches from the "muzzle" end of the can? Anything else for tips?

I have a tbac ultra 9.

yeah, basically just that. Treat the can just like a barrel. Works fine on 6mm and up, have to turn the sensitivity up since you’re so far from the bore (~1.5” dia can)

Decker9

WKR
I’ve got the V3, it’s great. Never missed at shot, can install it without having to wait for a ceasefire, no tripod needed, etc…The only downside is that it can affect POI and your safer chrono’ing shots and shooting for groups in separate steps.

Iv just learnt this, I think.

I had a custom built, but can’t get the thing under 2” @ 100 yards (all shots fired with the magnospeed). Chatting with a buddy, he brought up the same thing. This week I’m heading to the range and will try without it, really hoping it’s the issue.

The magnospeed has been working flawlessly so far though, only 1 error in my 200 rounds of use. I do find it slips a lot on my skinny barrel though.

Last edited:

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
Iv just learnt this, I think.

I had a custom built, but can’t get the thing under 2” @ 100 yards (all shots fired with the magnospeed). Chatting with the gunsmith, he brought up the same thing. This week I’m heading to the range and will try without it, really hoping it’s the issue.

The magnospeed has been working flawlessly so far though, only 1 error in my 200 rounds of use. I do find it slips a lot on my skinny barrel though.
Barrel harmonics. It's not necessarily the magneto speed causing the change, it's the weight on the barrel causing it. Same can happen if it were a brake, tuner, flash hider, can, etc.

Without looking back to see if it's mentioned, there is a mount one could use if the stock has a rail parallel to the barrel to eliminate this problem.

Decker9

WKR
Barrel harmonics. It's not necessarily the magneto speed causing the change, it's the weight on the barrel causing it. Same can happen if it were a brake, tuner, flash hider, can, etc.

Without looking back to see if it's mentioned, there is a mount one could use if the stock has a rail parallel to the barrel to eliminate this problem.

You are 100% correct. Went and fired a few groups today with no magnospeed, and knocked off a couple 1/2” groups. That was sure a time+money learning lesson!

To the OP, in my instance I woulda been further ahead probably buying a chronograph that I could test velocity plus group with at the same time. If the magnospeed makes a guy have to “tune” twice (velocity then grouping), it may be worth looking at something else? Just a thought from my recent experience.

Iv been told Labrador is coming out with a price friendlier model this winter.

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a mount for those with the parallel rails. Seems to be a trusted mount based on posts I've seen.

MPA has a parallel mount too.

Wiser mount below has cant available but I just found it so I don't know much about it yet.

Stalker69

WKR
Bought a spotter two weeks ago to get velocity on a .223 I'm going to (try to) use for PRS. Couldn't get it to record a single shot. Returned it and ordered a LabRadar.
Hey, how do you like the labRadar ? Thinking strongly of getting one.

Stalker69

WKR
Yes that is what I am finding also. I hear they are coming out with a less expensive model, sometime this winter. Post #27 says the same.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
For what it's worth, I've got about 100 rds over a ProChrono DLX now and I'm extremely happy with the results. It seems to be right on par with expected velocities, hasn't missed a single shot under sunny or overcast skies, and the bluetooth/app is easy to use and really convenient for logging all your info. Price tag : performance, happy camper.
20211018_151614.jpg