Magnets in a bino harness?

What is the affect on devices when used in conjunction with harness’s or packs with magnets?

In regards to devices I am talking about a compass, electronic GPS and cell phones with ONX app.

thx

JakeSCH

WKR
I run the marsupial and never had any issues with my gps...but others have.

Wassid82

WKR
I have Garmin handhelds (for running dogs), Garmin mini, phone, rangefinder,........all of which have electronic components but I haven't seen any adverse effects.

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe this explains why the compass in onX was acting screwy my last trip. I have a Badlands harness with magnets.

Brendan

WKR
It won't affect electronic components in general. It will affect a compass.

I run a Marsupial, and it straight up messes with the magnetic compass in my phone. At best case, I have to recalibrate frequently and extend my arm full length away from my body to get a reliable reading. I've tested it and had it be off by 30-40 degrees, or straight up flip it 180 if I get it close.

You can deal with it, but it's a little bit of a pain.

Ralphie

WKR
Haven’t used a compass since I was a first year Boy Scout. Love my magnetic closure on the badlands. I can’t stand all the other closures. And Ive carried my phone in the bino case and have noticed nothing.

OP
B
I can understand the magnets effecting an old school compass.

Whats the effect on something like an ONX map on your phone?

87TT

WKR
Just try it and see. All I know is on my Garmin, you can watch the compass dial and map orientation move as you move the GPS around the magnetic bino case or other closures.

Brendan

WKR

Your phone has an internal magnetic compass used for heading on apps like OnX, Gaia, Basemap. It throws off the direction arrow which is a giant pain in the rear if you head off in the wrong direction trying to get somewhere and don't realize quickly.

No magnets in my AGC harness and no issues with compass heading.

I have too much invested in a trip to have something like magnets in my bino harness mess with me.

bsnedeker

WKR
I get turned around easily enough already when I'm navigating in the dark. No way I want to have to chance having magnets on my chest affect my compass, phone, or watch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
I have not had an issue with the magnets in my Badlands harness affecting my Garmin or phone ( but it is likely I wouldn’t have noticed anyway in the areas I am familiar with). I switched back to my FHF because of sizing Issues with my bino/range finder. Didn’t like the noise potential of the magnets either if I wasn’t being careful.

Magnets had a significant effect for me while using OnX last November. It was VERY frustrating to navigate off the mountain in the dark with a full pack, plus an elk quarter on your back. Those magnets had the compass heading/map spinning in circles. Just about put me into panic mode before I figured out the issue.

Last edited:
OP
B
I really like the Marsupial harness.... but this magnet deal has me concerned. I don’t want anything to effect my ONX app as I use it all the time while hunting In different areas.