magnification perception

Sled

WKR
I've been looking through a lot of binos lately and have noticed that some don't seem to be the power they state. i'm not saying they are incorrect but possibly a user bias of some sort imparted by other characteristics of the bino. for instance, side by side comparison of the maven b2 9x45 and the swaro 10x42 slc left me with mixed feelings. the b2 was the lesser magnification but it appeared to my eye that it was at least 1x larger than the slc, and i'm not just talking field of view. both at distance and near i felt the trees were larger in frame and the font of bill boards were larger. this was the case when comparing the b2 to other 10x binos i have as well. so, is this a trick from a larger objective or am i just seeing things? is it possible that maven put out an 11x45 and mis labeled it?

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
Has no one here had this issue before? If that's the case I'm leaning towards the mis marked bino at 11x vs 9x.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
Measure the exit pupil. The 9x B2 should be 5 mm the 11x should be closer to 4.0. However there is some difference in actual magnification in a model. I'm not sure where the specification variances are for Swaro or Maven. Acceptable variance should be something on the order of 0.5x +/-.

Magnification can be a pretty personal affect on a particular person. The two binoculars are different optical systems. The AK system on the B2 transmits more light and has far fewer changes in the light path than the SP system of the Swaro. One is not necessarily better than the other, just different. I have a hard time telling the 9x B2 from the 11x B2 or most any 10x.

Your reaction is probably personal to you. I would not worry a lot about it.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
Measure the exit pupil. The 9x B2 should be 5 mm the 11x should be closer to 4.0. However there is some difference in actual magnification in a model. I'm not sure where the specification variances are for Swaro or Maven. Acceptable variance should be something on the order of 0.5x +/-.

Magnification can be a pretty personal affect on a particular person. The two binoculars are different optical systems. The AK system on the B2 transmits more light and has far fewer changes in the light path than the SP system of the Swaro. One is not necessarily better than the other, just different. I have a hard time telling the 9x B2 from the 11x B2 or most any 10x.

Your reaction is probably personal to you. I would not worry a lot about it.
Thanks Steve, I appreciate your contributions and willingness to give your time and experience.