Magnum primers in Standard cases

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting a 7mm magnum forever with reloads that use magnum primers. I am now purchasing a 7mm-08 and would like to reload for it. I have plenty of bullets and powder but lack standard rifle primers. Hoping people could offer guidance if I can use magnum primers in my 7mm-08 loads. Thanks.

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
Start of on the low side. I've not switched large rifle with magnum, but pretty much everything else. If you're just getting the rifle, and starting the work up, I'd just start at the starting load and work up normally, you'll probably just hit pressure signs a bit sooner than stuff a standard primer.

Pretty much any load I run that uses h110 I use a magnum primer, regardless.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Magnum primers are not just for magnums. Been using magnums off an on forever in non-magnum cartridges. Sometime they just work better. One of my best 308 loads for a particular rifle gets magnums because that's what shot best. I don't see many using them much anymore but ball powders like 748 and 760 used to get the call for magnum primers regardless of case size.

JRMiller

WKR
I pretty much exclusively use magnum primers.
You’ll be fine as long as you start new load development and start on the lower side.

Switching from Fed 210’s to 215M’s surprisingly tightened up groups in my daughter’s Tikka 7mm-08, with 140gr AB’s and a max load Big Game

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I had a load for a particular 308 using 4064 and a large rifle primer that was slightly compressed. The accuracy was ok but switching to a magnum primer let me drop the powder charge just enough to have the load not crunch powder and still make the same velocity. The accuracy with the magnum primer was better with better es and I didn’t have to worry about any seating depth issues.

I wish I would have known about this when I was loading for a 7-08 using h4350 it may have shown even better results.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, no problems with it. It’s handy if you’re trying to consolidate components, and as long as you properly work up a ladder you’ll be fine. With some powders I’ve been able to get to max loads, with others I’ve had to stop just after starting. Somewhat unusually, Hammer Bullets used to recommend using magnum primers regardless of powder.

jmp300wsm

FNG
Have used mags many times in loads that called for standard. I chronoed a bunch and really only gained 10-20 fps with the mags. Never had any pressure signs but every gun and caliber is different so I would start a little low and work up.

I couldn't find the CCI 200s I traditionally use on my last store trip and ended up some magnum 250s.
I used them in my short barrel .260 with great results. Like others suggested, I dropped back almost 2 grains from my standard loading for that bullet/powder combo to be safe. I was able to work back up to within about .3gr from the original with no pressure signs. It's slightly less crunchy and velocity and accuracy stayed the same.

I have a couple other rifles that will get the magnum loadings too if I don't come across a brick of 200s in the near future.

I have been shooting a 7mm magnum forever with reloads that use magnum primers. I am now purchasing a 7mm-08 and would like to reload for it. I have plenty of bullets and powder but lack standard rifle primers. Hoping people could offer guidance if I can use magnum primers in my 7mm-08 loads. Thanks.
I use straight 215 in our 6.5/284

Nilsen5

FNG
You can use magnum primers in large rifle rounds but I wouldn’t use large rifle primers in magnum rounds.