Magnus Bullheads and my 5 year thoughts

So, after 5 years using them, I think I can adequately give a solid review on these heads. I've seen it time and time again where arrowing turkeys with fixed blade heads, or big mechanicals can be tricky, you get on a good run, and then that bird is out in front of your blind at 8 yds full strut and you "nail him" only to end up with a loss. I'm not saying it happens all the time, but enough to bug a person. My switch to Bullheads came after such a shot, where I should have doubled but one got away and the bull heads were my next step.

A couple things worth mentioning.

1. I'm not a tuning person, or one who likes to tinker, the rust on my sight pins is proof to that.

2. I simply use full length arrows from my recurve setup off my compound. These arrows have big feathers and are very heavy, in that 600 grains finished weight category +or-

3. At 20 yards and in, these arrows fly just fine, and no pin adjustment is needed between my big game setup and using these big arrows. When the Bullheads are used, they fly true, and no adjustments are needed. You can practice with an old pillow.

Now to the results. Some say it's "Easy to miss the head", it's always moving, hard to hit etc". My finding are insane with this head. I've yet to completely decapitate a turkey, but these heads are devastating even on non head neck hits with the proper arrow. Any bird hit in the head or neck normally drops right there and if there are multiple birds, this means you have the chance to arrow another bird.

Non head or next hits, this is where this head shines. I'm an archer, operator error comes in to play, but I have hit 5 birds outside the target area and this is what happened.

Wingbutt hit, square on, snapped the wing caused tremendous damage bird dropped on the spot, I knew it was a bad hit so I exited the blind ran to him and dispatched him. He didn't move when I got to him, he was anchored from the shot.

Low neck hits in the craw area which is well below the waddle, all birds ran off a short distance and the blood trail was insane on each one. I didn't realize turkeys can bleed that much each and every time I hit there. I had one bird hit here, he came back to the decoy to peck and then got dizzy and walked 5-10 yds and fell over.

In closing, the kill zone on a turkey when using these heads from my experience is very big as you have top of head to well into the craw. That's a foot or so vertically. Also, If possible, a strutting bird facing you is the "broadside" shot with these heads. My first outing this year was proof to why I use them. Here you can see my arrow on the ground, it bounced off his lower chest/lower craw area, way low on the shot, he bled out 20yds, down.

98704.jpg

Last edited: