Magpul bipod????

Think this the best place to ask?

Anyone running a Magpul bipod if so how do you like?

Ditching a chincey Caldwell and wanting to either step into a Magpul or Harris.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Most magpie stuff is pretty good, I don’t have one but wouldn’t have a problem buying one if it had the features I was looking for.

68Plexi

WKR
I’m no expert on bipods, but I put a magpul bipod on one of my hunting rifles and I like it a lot. I understand it isn’t the best choice for really long range precision shooting (has some play) but for my needs, less than 500 yards, it’s stable enough and has tightened my groups. It’s also simple to deploy and under 1lb. Seems like a good midrange choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I just bought one and it showed up on Thursday. They make a sling stud mount version now, so installation was a breeze. I pondered about getting some of the higher end ones but couldn't justify for my budget. I dont have any experience with any other brand but after I take it out I'll let you know what I thought of it.

I know @92xj has one and likes it a lot.

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
I also just got one to play around with and im definitely a fan. I've played around with the harris bipods extensively, primarily the model with no swivel adjust and the infinite adjustment in the legs locked by a thumb screw. It was on my issued M24 so this rifle was always shot in field conditions and never really off a bench. That design was the biggest PITA as you had to try and level the bipod but adjusting the legs varying amounts. Almost never a time you could deploy the bipod and need no adjustments.

The magpul bipod is much simpler. I agree with locking out the pan feature as i dont find it super necessary. The bipod is very quick to deploy and legs adjust quickly and positively. On uneven terrain even if you dont adjust the legs independently there is still enough range of motion in the swivel to level the gun. Ive found it to have a very good height range as well. Its nice and lightweight and like a lot of magpul stuff it seems pretty robust. Overall I'm pleased with it and will most likely put them on orher rifles.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chad E

WKR
I had one on a rifle last year. I really wanted to like it but I could not get the pan to lock out. Mine had so much slop that it would move no matter how hard I cranked on the lock knob. Magpul said the parts needed to "set" before the lockout feature would work better. I wasn't willing to wait so I returned it. All that being said for the money I think it was a good option and may have worked better on a lighter rifle. I liked it better than the one Harris I've used.

Chad E

WKR
The bottom knob is a tensioner. If you loosen it enough. You can rotate the top portion 180* to lock out pan entirely. Thethe tensioner only applies to cant.

View attachment 167762View attachment 167763
I’ve used mine on a 20” 308 to shoot out to 1,000 yards, and it was ok. Not as good as an atlas, but not bad for the price.

My bad it was the cant not locking out that caused my issue. The rifle would slowly come off level and go as far as it could tilting if left without support. If setting up for a shot that didn't happen immediately I would have to bring the rifle back to level before shooting. Just got to be to annoying for me.

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
My bad it was the cant not locking out that caused my issue. The rifle would slowly come off level and go as far as it could tilting if left without support. If setting up for a shot that didn't happen immediately I would have to bring the rifle back to level before shooting. Just got to be to annoying for me.
Thats interesting, what was the weight on the rifle you were using? Mine is fairly new amd with an 11 pound rifle i can lock out the cant more than enough to keep ot stationary. Will keep an eye on whether or not it becomes an issue with mine.

Chad E

WKR
Thats interesting, what was the weight on the rifle you were using? Mine is fairly new amd with an 11 pound rifle i can lock out the cant more than enough to keep ot stationary. Will keep an eye on whether or not it becomes an issue with mine.

I had it on an 11 lb Remington 700. I think your good to go if yours is new and you can lock it out without movement. My guess is that it has a lot to do with tolerances in the tension system. You could have one that has enough "bite" and has already "set" and you wouldn't have any issues. Magpul to their credit was upfront with me about it needing to settle in, I just felt like I wasn't seeing any improvement no matter how much I worked with it. I would crank it down and think it was good to go only to have it slowly drift off level rather quickly. I could have easily had one that just had to much slop. Again I think for the money its a darn good option. To do better than it I had to spend considerably more money.