Magpul New Bipod

no cant = might be cool for a budget bipod to stick on a blaster AR for shooting off a bench at the range, lousy tool for field use.

K2e2vin

FNG
I waited like a year after the release date for their PRS Lite stock. Whatever initial ETA they give, add 3 seasons and that should be a good estimate.

Nacho7

FNG
There’s another Magpul model that cants and has the sling stud attachment. They maybe have removed that feature to shave weight.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Curious how many people are using this bipod? Any reviews a couple years down the line. Any better suggestions to those who have tried other offerings from Magpul or others?

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have all variants. For the price and weight I like them a lot. Shot a course with it last year and it held up fine with the more $$ models. Shooting a comp next week with same.

It’s not a $400 bipod, but with some load forward it’s plenty stable IMO. I bought the cheap 17s arca adapter. It works great.

180ls1

WKR
Curious how many people are using this bipod? Any reviews a couple years down the line. Any better suggestions to those who have tried other offerings from Magpul or others?

@Tahoe1305 hit the nail on the head.

Its fantastic for what it is and I have seen no need to upgrade. I don't think you can go wrong unless you expect it to compete with the premium ones that cost 4x as much.

zetlock

FNG
I base my decision for it based on what gun I'm putting it on. I wouldn't put it on a PRS or comp gun where I'm constantly moving/changing positions. I just don't trust plastic so for me I'd be afraid to break it or have it fail in some way...I'd be willing to try this on a casual range gun or single day hunt gun where durability isn't quite as necessary.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I base my decision for it based on what gun I'm putting it on. I wouldn't put it on a PRS or comp gun where I'm constantly moving/changing positions. I just don't trust plastic so for me I'd be afraid to break it or have it fail in some way...I'd be willing to try this on a casual range gun or single day hunt gun where durability isn't quite as necessary.
To provide context, I have a 30-06 Tikka T3x. not comp shooting. Just a light hunting rifle build. I havent had a bipod but these get good reviews. I only have a sling stud to work with

Tahoe1305

WKR
To provide context, I have a 30-06 Tikka T3x. not comp shooting. Just a light hunting rifle build. I havent had a bipod but these get good reviews. I only have a sling stud to work with
Fwiw , I normally have one on hunting and can’t really think of a time I’ve used it. Luckily it’s so light it doesn’t matter much.

There’s always a rock, tree, pack etc that has the height I need to take a shot. Seldom does prone work in the hunting I do.

The swivel stud variant weighs like 10oz though and is light enough to have the option. The swivel stud is the only one that can’t swivel or cant. Easy enough to put a small forward rail to get that functionality. Cost is ~3oz in the bipod plus ~2oz in the rail.

I’m happy to weigh them all if that helps. Think online data is close too

Edit: looks like they have a new swivel attach that does pivot and cant. Weight is 13oz vs 8oz for older one (I have).

Last edited:

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Very interesting, boss. I have hunted for 13 years back in flat land. I have only ever killed deer standing or balanced off some bs shrub or whatnot. Would be nice if I wanna take further shots as the Mule deer I took a couple years ago was only 50 yards out. The 13 oz one would he a good option. I like the bipod for consistency while sighting in, when I've shot a friends gun

zetlock

FNG
If that's all you're doing then this may be a good bipod to try. Honestly, I've never had to actually use a bipod to take a shot while hunting. I spend most of my time with my gun mounted on my tripod.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
If that's all you're doing then this may be a good bipod to try. Honestly, I've never had to actually use a bipod to take a shot while hunting. I spend most of my time with my gun mounted on my tripod.
Interesting. Never gotten a chance to shoot off a tripod. Is it safe to say those rigs are partly responsible for the very long shots people are able to accomplish? I see them in videos on repeat

zetlock

FNG
Interesting. Never gotten a chance to shoot off a tripod. Is it safe to say those rigs are partly responsible for the very long shots people are able to accomplish? I see them in videos on repeat
Tripods actually take some practice and are definitely more difficult to shoot off of than laying prone or sitting on a bench and shooting with a bipod. However, with practice you can definitely learn to shoot off of a tripod. I would also argue tripods are more versatile and can offer a fairly stable platform in a more diverse terrain than most bipods.