Maine bear guide recommendations.

mcfd45

FNG
Hey guys. Anyone have recommendations on a black bear guide out in Maine? Looking to do a fall hunt and it’s my first bear hunt. Figured I would have some help. Thanks.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
www.crookedtreelodge.com
Me and my Brother used these guys a couple of years ago. Offer baited or hound hunts in the Great Northern Woods of Maine.
Their hound hunts are over 96% successful. A hard working crew that will do their level best to get you on a bear. The outfit maintains over a 100 bait sites in their area, (gmu 1). Would definitely hunt with them again.

OP
M

mcfd45

FNG
www.crookedtreelodge.com
Me and my Brother used these guys a couple of years ago. Offer baited or hound hunts in the Great Northern Woods of Maine.
Their hound hunts are over 96% successful. A hard working crew that will do their level best to get you on a bear. The outfit maintains over a 100 bait sites in their area, (gmu 1). Would definitely hunt with them again.
Thanks. Will look them up.

craigp

FNG
Stony Brook Outfitters out of Wilton, Me. Bob Parker is a tremendous bear guide. He offers both bait and hound hunts.

EdP

WKR
Dan Wagner - Maine Trophy Outfitters

Buddy and I had a great hunt with them in 2016. Loved seeing the houndsman and hounds at work. We both took bears with our flintlocks. They also do hunts over bait sites.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I went to Foggy Mountain fall of 2020 It's not my style of hunting spent 5 days sitting never saw a bear. I understand that's hunting but wouldn't go back.

EdP

WKR
I have also hunted bear over bait in Maine. It is very dark, still, and close in the timber. The only view available is down the alley cut to the bait barrel 30-40 yds away. A Thermacell is your friend. The bears are much more likely to come in during the last 5 minutes of legal light (of which there is very little that late in the timber), than at any other time. A black reticle on a black bear at last light is virtually impossible to see. An illuminated reticle is a really good piece of gear to have in that situation. Note: There is no spring bear season in Maine. All those TV shows with bears crawling over bait sites during full daylight are spring hunts.

I would not go back to Maine to hunt bears over bait again, but I would go back to Idaho in a heartbeat.