Maine Coast Fishing

The wife and I will be heading up the Maine coast Mid-July for our honeymoon. Will have kayaks in tow.

Any suggestions on places to stop and fish? I would like to get on some stripers.

Also, any can't-miss things to see or places to visit?

Good restaurants?

She isn't afraid to camp a few nights, so any recommendations there?

Thanks for any info!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what will be open or where you’re headed but Portsmouth ME is an amazing dining city. Fore St and Holy Donut are a must... Duck Fat and some others are bonkers good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Portsmouth is in NH, worth the stop for an afternoon.

Portland is ME, I personally don't know the city as well. Bissell Brothers Brewery is worth the stop though!

Freeport if you want to check out LL Bean and do the tourist thing.

All of Casco Bay is full of stripers, blues when they're running. Kennebec river too - There are beaches at small point and Reid State Park that can offer good surf casting. Careful with tides near the Kennebec if you take the Kayak out - no joke up there. I've almost sunk a 20' center console there...

Dolphin Marina in South Harpswell has a restaurant with some Of the best views on the east coast, and you can also eat lobster on the pier.

Could drive out Orrs and Bailey Islands from Brunswick, see I think the only standing Cribstone Bridge (between Orr's and Bailey Islands) and head out to the end where there's a gift shop, and parking lot, small beach if you want to kayak there. You can catch stripers in the wash on all the rocks up and down the coast - put your lure / fly / bait right in the whitewater.

5 Islands Lobster Company is another great stop north of the Kennebec for lobster on another pier. Prototypical Maine harbor. (Pass Bath Iron Works on Route 1, hang a right, drive 20-30 minutes). Reid State Park is out here too.

A couple hours north up the coast and you get to Acadia which is awesome as well.

What type of camping - Campgrounds or "Real" camping?

Shoot me a message if you want, my family has a house in Harpswell and I'll be there early July.

Last edited:

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Totally and both and great food cities.

Portland was what I meant when the mental wires crossed though.

We stayed in Harpswell last yr. Nice area of the world for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ebonnette0118
Thanks for the replies and suggestions fellas!

Brendan, will send you a PM this evening or tomorrow. Thanks again!

Kaisermn

FNG
Was there on sea duck hunt a few years ago, Gurnet trading Co, was hold in wall sea food place by Brunswick. Amazing fresh non tourist trap place. Sorry can't help with stripers, we were there for ducks.

OP
ebonnette0118
Does anyone know if the COVID restrictions are being enforced in Maine? I saw where non-residents must sign a release stating they have tested negative within the last 72 hours upon entry...

Brendan

WKR
Here are the guidelines:

Appears to be "Quarantine, or test negative". Haven't looked into whether they're being enforced, I think if you're staying in any hotels, campgrounds, etc - you need to be prepared with the form they mention.

I'll be up there from Mass starting in about a week, but at a family home and Quarantining away from other people (and work) is exactly what I'm looking forward to.

OP
ebonnette0118
Thanks Brendan. I need to send you a PM...have been too busy with this wedding stuff and life.

The problem with the testing is the short 72-hour window. Seems like with how long it is taking to get results back, it would be a long shot, or at least a risk for the timing to work out.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
My co-worker said his brother went to Main 2-3 weeks ago for long weekend. Can’t quarantine for two weeks if you’re only there for 4 days....received a 500.00 fine in the mail. They got his plate# from the toll cameras entering and leaving the state. Send in the $$$ or proof that you had negative test 72 hrs before entry

Brendan

WKR
My co-worker said his brother went to Main 2-3 weeks ago for long weekend. Can’t quarantine for two weeks if you’re only there for 4 days....received a 500.00 fine in the mail. They got his plate# from the toll cameras entering and leaving the state. Send in the $$$ or proof that you had negative test 72 hrs before entry

My guess is that's before they put the current guidelines in place. Some of the testing / quarantine changes go into effect a week from tomorrow.

Julius K

FNG
I live in Maine, haven’t heard about any out of staters being fined. I live in an area lots people have vacation homes. tons of out of state plates around