Maine Moose - DIY vs Guided?

We lucked out and drew WMD 8 in Jackman and going all in on the planning process. First thing I need to determine is DIY versus hiring a guide.
I know nothing about moose hunting... I've elk hunted a few times and chased deer/turkey for years. I do have a number of hunting friends who live in VT/NH/ME who could help pack it out and do some additional scouting pre-season.

I don't plan on passing up any decent bull and would much prefer the DIY experience with friends and $ saved. Evidently WMD 8 is a great unit with a lot of moose and success rate is ~75% and plenty of access. However, I have concerns about cruising around for the week season and not finding a bull and burning this likely once in a lifetime opportunity.

It is reasonable to believe with some pre-season scouting and hard hunting during season someone could have a fun hunt DIY?

Scottyboy

WKR
Personally, I would spare no expense on a once in a lifetime tag.

I would tend to agree with your sentiments on DIY, but again I like stacking the deck in my favor when I can...especially once in a lifetime.

good luck and post some pictures! 😀

elkguide

WKR
If you are able to do a lot of scouting and can get a good feel for the land and locate some moose, you could probably get along DIY. However. The thick woods/swamps of Maine are an entirely different hunt and if you have never hunted moose, they too are different than anything else. I would start talking to wardens, biologists, locals and guides and get ready to have a fun hunt.

ahhyut

FNG
Jackman isn't too far from me. I am usually in the Rangeley area on the weekends. Did you get a Sept tag or an Oct tag?

You have a very good chance at lucking into a big bull 40" or so here. You would be extremely lucky to see a 50" bull without working hard, but it is possible. Most of the big bulls hang out away from the roads and people, but there are enough good size bulls that you will be very satisfied with hunting old cuts and old tote roads. If you can come up to scout, I think you would be put at ease with the lay of the land. Almost all private land, that is open for access. Zone 8 has a lot of access without gate fees, camping is going to be packed, same with lodging.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Congrats on the tag! I think you will have to do some soul-searching for your answer. I have drawn six moose tags in the lower 48 and we have taken six moose on those tags (I let my dad shoot the one in New Hampshire as my sub-permittee). All have been unguided.

For me, a big part of the fun of the hunt is the three or four months of planning after I draw the tag. When I had a Maine tag, I made a couple of contacts over the internet who gave me some good tips. I also found and rented a cabin for a week. One of my friends and I drove up a couple of days before season, scouted a day, went to Bangor to pick up my brother and another friend at the airport and then scouted another day. After checking out the areas my contacts had suggested, we explored some other spots I had seen on the map. As soon as we got to one of them, my brother and I knew where we would be the next day. I ended up with a bull I was very happy with about 20 minutes into the season.

If you cannot get up there at least a few days before season, or if you are not confident in your ability to do it on your own, or if you know you would be really disappointed if you went unguided and did not get a moose, I would suggest findIng a reputable guide. You will also need to decide what you are going to do with the meat. In New Hampshire, we boned out my dad’s bull and then I brought the meat back in coolers after getting it cold in a friendly fly fisherman’s freezer. In Maine, I had it processed there and brought it back in coolers. That took a couple of extra days but we had planned on spending the entire week so it didn’t matter. I think a list of processors is available through Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. If you go guided, I am sure your guide can recommend a processor. Get the processing arranged ahead of time if you go that route.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I have run hounds top to bottom in unit 8 for years. As long as you can handle the pack out and breaking down, hopefully as close to road as possible...I wouldn't have second thought of doing it on my own. If you can get a hold of a clear cut map and schedule your half way there.
What season date?.

OP
nettereo16
Thanks to all that replied! The season is Oct 12-17 and there is no September season in 8.

I'll be able to get up there a few days before season and my friends (and co-permittee) live up in VT/NH/ME and will be able to make a number of scouting trips over the summer/September. It looks like I'll have 6+ guys up there during the hunt to help with recovery. I'll line up a processor and split up meat with my buddies who came to help. With their support, I feel confident about getting a bull out. My primary concern is having difficulty finding a bull during the week season but it sounds like if we put the time in scouting and hunt hard away from roads we are fairly likely to have an opportunity.

We are leaning heavily to DIY for the experience and to involve our group of friends in the hunt.

What from I can tell it looks like a great unit with a lot of access & active cutting going on.

I'd appreciate any other advice you have!

We hunted 7, right where it turns to 8, and though we were deer hunting, had no problems seeing moose, and some nice ones at that. Logging activity abounds. Go DIY like you’re planning, and with some scouting, you should have an awesome hunt!!

OP
nettereo16
I received a lot of messages over the summer advising that DIY was doable if we were able to gather a group of friends to assist & put in our time scouting. I also received a lot of other advice for the hunt and logistics.

We went all in with planning and just wrapped up the hunt. We saw some monster bulls in our scouting/early in the hunt and were quite happy to take a midsize bull on day 3 of the hunt a good ways from the road (and very close to the Canadian border!) Both my co-permittee & I were able to shoot. It was an amazing experience and a great hunt to involve a group of friends in.

Thanks to all that offered any input on the DIY route!!!
IMG_0427.JPG

Last edited:

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
Great pic! I'd call him a little better than midsize and a lot of character in the rack! Can't wait to hear all the details

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Great job.

I got back from Jackman last night after a long drive back to North Carolina (grouse hunting). We saw quite a few moose. I probably read your name on the board at Bishop's Gas Station and probably didn't even realize it.

Joshk358

FNG
Nice job!! I drew a tag for zone 4 in 2013 and went with a guide. Shot a stud on day 3, almost B&C. I paid about 7k all in all. That includes everything from gas to taxidermy. If I am ever luck enough to draw another I will DIY. Don't think I could afford another hunt with that price tag. I am thinking it'd be about half that without a guide....maybe less.

Again, awesome bull! Congrats!