Maine Moose Hunting

Does anyone have any good info on Maine Moose hunts and is it worth while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Very long odds on getting drawn, BUT an inexpensive opportunity for a lower 48 moose for NR's. Why not get in the game on the cheap? You never know...

Trial153

WKR
There are some great units in Maine, i been an alternate on a pair of tags over the last 18 years, and the were great hunts. I have never pulled a tag for myself though.
When they when changed it so a NR can by unlimited chances they flushed the NR moose draw down the drain. The odds are slightly worse then terrible.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Deion_Hoehne
Thanks guys! I thought I’d just give it a shot. Not bad for the bonus points. Just asking around

mfsights257

Lil-Rokslider
I Grouse Hunted w/ Libby Camps in Maine last fall. They kill some monster moose there. My guide said as a resident he had drawn 2 tags in like 28 years.... but the ones he killed are amazing.
Good luck!

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a tag in ME last year after 17years of applying. I have been a part of 2 other moose hunts in Maine as well. If you get in the lottery, then don't stop...apply every year. Trial is right though, now the NR can buy unlimited chances the odds went down the tubes...unless you want to throw thousands of dollars worth of chances at it every year.

teamr2

FNG
Hunted zone 5 up by Oxbow about a dozen years ago. Put in a low bid on one of the governors tags and actually got one. Shot a toad right off a logging road. Hunted with a guide named Tom Aasbo who at the time owned Oxbow Lodge. Heard it burned down and Tom moved to Texas. Zone 4 & 5 were loaded with moose.

OP
Deion_Hoehne
Thank you all for the info! Fingers crossed and will keep applying if needed

The Maine moose draw was TODAY. After 20 years of applying as a non-resident, I finally hit. Now I need to find a quality outfitter who can guide in WMD 14.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

The Maine moose draw was TODAY. After 20 years of applying as a non-resident, I finally hit. Now I need to find a quality outfitter who can guide in WMD 14.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Congrats on the tag. I pulled WMD 8 today. Now the planning starts!!

teamr2

FNG
If any of you lucky fellas that draw a Maine tag decide to DIY, start contacting the paper companies to get access to their land. They have little guard shacks at the entrances that limit who goes on their property. Also you'll need a CB radio to communicate with the logging trucks. Finally, bring a stretcher, chainsaw winch, cumalong, etc as Maine requires you to bring the moose to a check station whole to be weighed before butchering. We used a military stretcher and with the help of 6 guys, got it in the truck bed. Good luck!

Trial153

WKR
Maine changed the law a long while back. Moose maybe broken down for transport prior to check in. No need to transport it whole.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to all who were picked. Maybe next year for me

FNG
There are some great units in Maine, i been an alternate on a pair of tags over the last 18 years, and the were great hunts. I have never pulled a tag for myself though.
When they when changed it so a NR can by unlimited chances they flushed the NR moose draw down the drain. The odds are slightly worse then terrible.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
That was true a few years back, but now that you get 10 more chances for every bonus point from 16 on, I think we are going to see those with 20 or more points more likely to draw than people spending a few hundred dollars. They really should have just squared points and not allowed anyone to buy groups of 10 chances. For Residents, it looks like if you have over a certain number of points you are guaranteed to draw. I doubt they do that for non-residents....

ahhyut

FNG
That was true a few years back, but now that you get 10 more chances for every bonus point from 16 on, I think we are going to see those with 20 or more points more likely to draw than people spending a few hundred dollars. They really should have just squared points and not allowed anyone to buy groups of 10 chances. For Residents, it looks like if you have over a certain number of points you are guaranteed to draw. I doubt they do that for non-residents....
Maine's lottery system is the worst (or pretty close to it) out there. They manage a moose in southern Maine the same way they do in northern Maine. If it were me, I would do quality hunts the week of the September hunt and do an antler restriction (40+") and you can only notch one of those in your life and draw one every 10 years. I would leave the October hunt in for antlered and put a noticed tag restriction of those of once every 10 years, draw every 5. Cow tags, I would do those as resident and land-owner (with open accessible hunting land - like the resident day for deer) only tags. These are management/meat hunts (not that you don't get meat from a 60" bull), but they require less effort, skill, etc. For points, I would square points. It is silly that people have been putting in for 30+ years and haven't drawn. I know they are putting in for a bull hunt in Jackman and the odds are low, but it should be statistically unlikely they find themselves in this situation.