Maine Moose Hunting

I hunted zone 1 last year and it was pretty poor. Winter kill combined with tick kill has taken its toll on the moose population. I hunted hard the whole week passing down 2 mid 30 inch bulls to shoot a 34 inch young bull the last day. The state has to start reconsidering its herd management and tag sales. I was fortunate to at least see some animals. The hunters in the cabin close to me spent 4 days and hundreds of miles till they saw their first cow!!!

Question for the fellas that have drawn NR tags:

What was your "strategy" with the draw?

I ask because I entered for the first time this year but just to start accumulating points. I expect to just buy the bonus point for at least the next 5 years before even starting to actually enter the draw. Just curious how many applications you bought each year, was it the same or did you change it each year, increase/decrease etc.?

Between deer, elk, turkey, 2 children and 1 wife, I don't really have time for a moose trip for the foreseeable future so just interested in giving myself a better chance 5-10 years down the road when it might be more accessible.

Trial153

WKR

I ask because I entered for the first time this year but just to start accumulating points. I expect to just buy the bonus point for at least the next 5 years before even starting to actually enter the draw. Just curious how many applications you bought each year, was it the same or did you change it each year, increase/decrease etc.?

Between deer, elk, turkey, 2 children and 1 wife, I don't really have time for a moose trip for the foreseeable future so just interested in giving myself a better chance 5-10 years down the road when it might be more accessible.
I think your best strategy for that kind of time frame is saving the money and going to NF.

The truth is the NR draw odds are so terrible it's hard to even justify the money, let alone hope to a strategy to draw the tag

My "strategy" was actually to apply as a subpermittee with a buddy who is a Maine Resident. He's not a big hunter but thought this would be a fun trip if we ever drew. Resident odds are still tough but much better than NR. The NR draw is kind of a sham with allowing unlimited purchases of bonus points. I'd recommend you befriend a Maine resident, move to Maine, or go to Canada as recommended by others. It is tough starting out NR & very hard to plan what year you are going to draw.

Q. I am a resident of Maine. Can I list a nonresident to be my subpermittee or alternate (or vice versa)?
A
. Yes, you can list a person from another state to be your subpermittee or alternate subpermittee. It doesn't matter whether the subpermittee or alternate subpermittee is a resident or a nonresident. The permittee will be the one purchasing the permit.

My "strategy" was actually to apply as a subpermittee with a buddy who is a Maine Resident. He's not a big hunter but thought this would be a fun trip if we ever drew. Resident odds are still tough but much better than NR. The NR draw is kind of a sham with allowing unlimited purchases of bonus points. I'd recommend you befriend a Maine resident, move to Maine, or go to Canada as recommended by others. It is tough starting out NR & very hard to plan what year you are going to draw.

Q. I am a resident of Maine. Can I list a nonresident to be my subpermittee or alternate (or vice versa)?
A
. Yes, you can list a person from another state to be your subpermittee or alternate subpermittee. It doesn't matter whether the subpermittee or alternate subpermittee is a resident or a nonresident. The permittee will be the one purchasing the permit.

Awesome tip, thanks!

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider

For the first 12-13 years I put in for 6 chances ($35) each year. While I was on the sidelines for NH after I drew in 2014 I bumped up to 10 chances ($55?) in Maine each year.

I saw something the other day about “lodge” tags, so if you’re flush with cash, that may be an option. I believe I was looking at the Tea pond lodge website at the time

ahhyut

FNG
I saw something the other day about “lodge” tags, so if you’re flush with cash, that may be an option. I believe I was looking at the Tea pond lodge website at the time
The lodge tags are so controversial. I don't know why the state panders to the larger guide services so much, at the expense of the average hunter (and average guide). That being said. Going with an outfitter tag isn't a bad deal. Last year was the first year they had them and some places struggled to sell them, I think I saw one for 7-8k. That includes tag, lodging, and food. Considering some places charge 5-6k for that anyway, I don't think it's that bad. The premier lodges were asking $20k for their tags, again, depending on what you're looking for, I still see value there.

Until the Maine Guides Association endorses Sunday hunting, they will be an adversarial group in my view. They aren't doing anything to increase access or opportunity for hunting in our state.

The lodge tags are so controversial. I don't know why the state panders to the larger guide services so much, at the expense of the average hunter (and average guide). That being said. Going with an outfitter tag isn't a bad deal. Last year was the first year they had them and some places struggled to sell them, I think I saw one for 7-8k. That includes tag, lodging, and food. Considering some places charge 5-6k for that anyway, I don't think it's that bad. The premier lodges were asking $20k for their tags, again, depending on what you're looking for, I still see value there.

Until the Maine Guides Association endorses Sunday hunting, they will be an adversarial group in my view. They aren't doing anything to increase access or opportunity for hunting in our state.

Thanks for the heads up on lodge tags, but I would be subjected to a long, excruciating death at the hands of my wife if I tried to drop $8k+ on a hunting trip. If I were looking to lay out that kind of cash, I would just head to AK. Part of the appeal of ME was it seemed like a somewhat "cost effective" option for moose if you were ever lucky enough to draw.

ahhyut

FNG
Thanks for the heads up on lodge tags, but I would be subjected to a long, excruciating death at the hands of my wife if I tried to drop $8k+ on a hunting trip. If I were looking to lay out that kind of cash, I would just head to AK. Part of the appeal of ME was it seemed like a somewhat "cost effective" option for moose if you were ever lucky enough to draw.
It certainly is cost effective, find an Alaskan guided hunt with factoring in everything else for under $8k and I'll book it with you.

I 100% agree that if I was paying that kind of money, for just a bit more than the $18k I saw quoted for a lodge tag, I’d be going to Alaska for sheep and not a moose. I was fortunate that I got to hunt a few times here in VT while we still had a few moose, and the draw odds weren’t horrible. However, depending on what your budget was/is, VT does auction off a couple moose tags. Minimum bid is $1500, though I’m not sure what they’re going for now, I know back when I was putting in for permits, the lowest winning bid was usually somewhere near $2500. Not what I’d consider terrible pricing, but maybe that’s just me. And again, I have no idea what they have been going for the past few years

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Any guide recommendations for zone 1? Was lucky enough to draw yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You lucky dog!
I would recommend Crooked Tree Lodge. Did a hound hunt for bears a couple of years ago and was impressed that a few of their guides spent days (before the still hunters got dropped at their stands) scouting and keeping an eye on moose for clients. If I was lucky enough to draw, that's who I would use.

Buck300

Lil-Rokslider
Lake Parlin Lodge - Joe Kruse
Joe can hook you up, he is part of the Big Woods Bucks team and has a lot connections in northern Maine. Let me know if you want to talk to him, I have his cell number.

I got a tag for zone 2 this year after putting in for 17 years as a non resident . I am very excited as this will be my first and at 69 my last moose hunt. Unless I fall into some money. I booked with blackwater outfitters.

Got my Maine permit yesterday. One less thing to worry about as I am over 1300 miles away. We are going to leave several days early for a road trip. The hunt is getting real at this point. I can't believe what some processors are charging. One I talked to would be over a thousand dollars or more. I am going to bone it out, bring it back and have a deer processor do it for a hundred dollars or so.