Maine Moose

Speedbump

FNG
After 20+ years of disappointment, I have drawn an antlerless tag for Maines zone 1 for this fall. Anyone willing to offer any experience or advice in arranging this hunt? Anything or anyone to avoid? The tag is for the 3rd season. Thanks.

nanuke22

FNG
I would contact Wade Kelly, when I finally draw a tag that’s who I would go with, guy is a straight shooter. His place is called Tyler Kelly Camps.

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
That’s awesome good luck. I have deer hunted a couple times up there for deer in zone 1. Saw some really nice bulls when there.

OP
S

Speedbump

FNG
Thanks for comments.
Likely to use a guide/lodge setup.
My tag is antlerless.
Meat processors are a concern as I expect a high standard, so insight / experience on this is welcome.
Also looking for sources of info. The Delorme atlas and state game department are about the only sources I have, at the moment.

Trial153

WKR
Zone one is great area, arguably the best in the state. You should have no issue filling a cow tag.
I cant see needing a guide or outfitter unless you have some physical limitations that would prevent you from getting the moose out.
Also there is no reason to kill cow in area that wouldnt be easy to pretty much....drive to her or at the least get a UTV in.

Afhunter1

WKR
I've killed a bull in Maine, so has my father, and my brother in-law has killed 2. My BIL's father has killed 3 or 4 i think. I've been in on 4 kills personally. Most farmers hate moose so getting permission is easy if they don't have any family with a permit. These farmers run 1000's of acres so one "Yes" and your tag is probably good as filled. They will tell you exactly where the moose are. A cow tag you can fill just driving around on the woods roads and put a stock on em when you see them. If you could go up a week early I don't think I would use a guide. If you do get in on a farm I've always asked if I kill one will the farmer load it for me. They have huge equipment and have always been glad too, plus you aren't the one tearing up their farm trying to get a whole moose out. Take a small trailer!

Now for meat. Absolutely do your homework on a processor!! I've never been satisfied with the quality of work done by an upper Maine processor. There are limited options and they get slammed with huge moose in a very short amount of time. Usually these places are one/two guy operations but moose season they hire anybody with a knife. I have a local processor in PA that does beef that will be getting any more moose meat if my family gets anymore. It is too good to waste. I think you will be happy if you find the same in NY. Also I don't know if this is true or not but an old wives tale is that brown moose don't taste as good as black; maybe keep that in mind too. I've only ate rutting black bulls and they have been excellent.

Good Luck!!

My Dad's 48"

100_2357.jpg

Mine 40"

image_zpsrvbf0dqu.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

Speedbump

FNG
Kittery is always on my list as I am fond of the Trading Post. Good food is added incentive.

LaGriz

WKR
Not far from Ogunquit, Maine: Don't forget the Maine Dinner 2265 Post Rd. in Wells Maine near junction of RT-9 and RT- 1. Haven't been in years but found the food to be outstanding. Clear broth seafood chowder was wicked good! Fried whole-belly clams and scallops were to die for. Wow guess I'm due for a visit to New England!
LaGriz

Julius K

FNG
Rosslake camps does really well on that hunt, great people too. Pretty doable diy hunt too, if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jek5224

FNG
bob's and the trading post are about 1/4mile apart.

They practically share a parking lot. Definitely hit both. If you are driving, stop at LC Bates Museum. Its an old, unique collection that is not well advertised and does not get a lot of visitors. It's about 2 miles off I-95. I stopped a few years ago and I had the whole place to myself-they seemed surprised to even see a visitor. When I went, they were in the process of restoring a marlin caught by Hemingway. I talked for a while with the lady there about the collection-it was very interesting. They have unique mounts of animals I have never even heard of-some extinct (passenger pigeon). I would recommend this to anybody.

As for the hunting, the moose outnumber people something like 4-1 that far north. I don't know that you'll need a guide, but it would be nice if you could afford it. If I ever draw a tag, I would probably get a guide just to be safe.

OP
S

Speedbump

FNG
KIttery is a fairly easy days drive, so thinking we can get there, hit the high spots, eat, and head on north for an hour or two. Stay overnight somewhere and head on into camp Sunday morning.
We have committed to a guided hunt out of the T Kelly camp in Allagash. Among other things, that neutralizes out most weather problems and simplifies the heck out of packing.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck! Zone 1 is a fantastic zone. I drew a Zone 8 bull tag this year...heading up for my 2nd scouting trip tomorrow