Maine wmd 2 late october

Does anyone have recommendations on boots/clothes/etc. i have hunted archery elk in montana, colorado, and idaho for 15 years and have great clothing and gear for that but expect i will run into some wet weather and likely snow. Just seeing if anyone could shed some experience driven advice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
Your normal hunting clothing should be fine for that time of year up there.Just make sure to have some rubber boots.Congrats on the draw.

Thanks! Do you say rubber boots to be waterproof? I’ve never found them very comfortable when walking long distances, but neither are wet feet. Should i us insulated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Maine tag in 2020. My Salomon boots I comfortably wore elk hunting a few weeks before were absolutely soaked the whole hunt. We had some rain & the maple saplings you will be walking through a lot of hold a ton of water. Full rubber boots are a pain at any distance and not supportive so make sure you are happy with your boot choice.

We did a lot of glassing of the fresh cuts that moose were feeding it. It rained a few days and it was pretty brutal to sit all day in the cold rain and I wish I brought my little tarp along to glass under. Definitely recommend this and some decent rain pants...

Another member on here suggested we bring a spotting scope and binos on the tripod. At first I thought this was unnecessary but this worked very well to glass the cuts that were logged 2-3 years ago. I know you have a cow tag but it's fun to glass and take some pictures, there are some big bulls out there.

Bring a shotgun - there are a lot of grouse around to chase before or after your hunt. They are more skittish than the grouse in the elk woods

Bring a tire patch kit for sure & a tow strap. Some of the logging roads are really rough.

its a different style of hunting then montana thats for sure
my wife & i have been making the trip to the area around jackman maine for there rifle deer opener & small game every year for 30 yrs

vtmooser

FNG
try a pair of mucks ,a lot lighter than most other brands and give decent ankle support. You can also roll them down to cool off while glassing or napping (LOL). I'll be up there the same week in WMD 1 plan on walking up to 7-10 miles a day.

Loonman19

FNG
I've deer and moose hunted zone 2 and like others said rubber boots are a must most years. Oct snow is un common but not out of the question. I've never been out west but from the sounds there is significantly more under bush here. I usually wear a good pair of gortex pants that don't slap in the raspberry bushes. I would bring some gas cans to save driving in to town. I would start lining up a butcher it's not uncommon to have it be 50 degrees the whole week. Good luck

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Maine tag in 2020. My Salomon boots I comfortably wore elk hunting a few weeks before were absolutely soaked the whole hunt. We had some rain & the maple saplings you will be walking through a lot of hold a ton of water. Full rubber boots are a pain at any distance and not supportive so make sure you are happy with your boot choice.

We did a lot of glassing of the fresh cuts that moose were feeding it. It rained a few days and it was pretty brutal to sit all day in the cold rain and I wish I brought my little tarp along to glass under. Definitely recommend this and some decent rain pants...

Another member on here suggested we bring a spotting scope and binos on the tripod. At first I thought this was unnecessary but this worked very well to glass the cuts that were logged 2-3 years ago. I know you have a cow tag but it's fun to glass and take some pictures, there are some big bulls out there.

Bring a shotgun - there are a lot of grouse around to chase before or after your hunt. They are more skittish than the grouse in the elk woods

Bring a tire patch kit for sure & a tow strap. Some of the logging roads are really rough.
This is great advice. I have lived/hunted in Maine my whole life but drew my first moose tag last year. I am going on another moose hunt this year and purchased new, high-quality rubber boots (Le Chameau) and durable rain pants (TBD) for this year's hunt. Once it rains everything in the woods will be soaked, and you might as well be wearing rain gear even if it isn't currently raining.