Maintaining a fire while DIY hunting

Hey, some buddies and I plan to hunt Colorado next year. We are going to backpack hunt within 3-5 miles of a rental. I've read on Colorado's fish and game site that some rules for maintaining a fire depends on local ranger station rules, but there is also a printable firewood authorization form that allows you to collect and cut dead, or down trees. This letter seems to be geared more towards bulk amounts of wood (a 10 chord max pp). I'm more curious what rules are for securing enough wood just to maintain camp in an area that isn't a pre-cleared camp site that you have to pay for per night. Our plan is to camp more so in wild areas and settling in within range of herd movement. I will have some MSR gear for cooking, but incase temps drop low, which they tend to do, I'd like to know anyone's experience with free range collecting and cutting wood just to stay toasty through the night. What's allowed, what's a no no.

Thanks

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
welcome to rokslide!

In Idaho, I’ve been in situations that we had to have a fire otherwise would have risked hypothermia. But hey that was when I was younger and stupid! I’ve never had a permit for cutting down trees just to keep a fire going around camp. I’ve also had permits for cutting 5 cords of wood. My experience, at least in Idaho, is if you don’t have a truckload of wood, they don’t ask about wood permits. But that’s Idaho!

You can collect and cut down or dead wood for on site use. No cutting live trees. Permits are for taking wood.

Check the National Forest website and the ranger area website for the current fire restrictions before your trip. Depending on conditions you or may not be allowed to have a fire while dispersed camping.

OP
Ry_Harr_81
Thanks man, depending on... say conditions condusive to wildfires? I think we are shooting for late September. We are archery hunting. Being that you are from CO, how crucial are those hiking walking stick things. I'm on the east coast where the land is as flat as a soda found at a grandparent's house.

Thanks man, depending on... say conditions condusive to wildfires? I think we are shooting for late September. We are archery hunting. Being that you are from CO, how crucial are those hiking walking stick things. I'm on the east coast where the land is as flat as a soda found at a grandparent's house.
Restrictions are issued based on wildfire potential. It looks like most districts have restrictions right now. Hopefully they are lifted by September.

I carry trekking poles. I hunt muzzleloader and rifle, so during shooting light the trekking poles are stowed on my pack and my weapon is in my hands or on my shoulder. But they are nice for getting back to camp in the dark or when just covering distance. They get the upper body to help on the up hills and save wear and tear on joints on the down hills. Really, it is a personal preference thing.

In September the days are so long that there's no time for fires. Dark at 9 light at 430....when do you sleep?

Exactly
I haven’t had a single fire in 20 years of Colorado archery elk hunting out of a tent.

Besides, it generally seems, there will be an 8 outta 10 chance there will be a fire ban in September of any given year.

Jkr61

FNG
Fire bans are a fact of life here nowadays. Don’t count on having a fire and please don’t think it’s no big deal to have one cause there’s no way they will catch you. If there is a ban it’s for good reason. I’m not trying to attack or accuse you it’s just nerve racking seeing massive (1000’s of acres) wildfires because people think they have to have a fire. The west is just way drier and with all of the beetle kill tinder lying around it doesn’t but a spark. Have a great hunt and enjoy the mountains!

11boo

WKR
As said, no permit needed for that. Also said, fire bans abound out here now, they do lift them as conditions change. USFS website for the NF you will be in will let you know.

If you end up with a campfire, make sure it is DEAD OUT anytime you leave camp.

I cant tell you how many campfires I have found smoldering after guys left their camps.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Never leave a fire unattended,ever.
I can count the fires during hunts on one hand. Never have the time during one, due to hunting.
After the hunt is different.

Gear up for expected temperatures with zero fires. Then you are safe no matter what. Almost nobody even tries to keep a fire going all night. You have enough work to do hunting. Keeping fire going means lots of wood plus getting up every 2 hours all night long.

If you bring a stove and a hot tent you just run a short fire in the morning and evening to take off the chill.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Only time I ever make a fire is to cook a grouse or grill some fresh tenderloin or backstrap if I'm successful! Chances are however, we'll be in fire restriction anyways. Like others have said, really not a necessity, especially in September.

From my limited experience, it doesn’t get that cold in Colorado in September. We were at 10,000’ during muzzleloader week and I think it *may* have hit 39 briefly.

It’s going to be the coldest when you’re getting ready in the morning, which is the last time you want to deal with building a fire. Dress, slam a cup of coffee, throw a puffy on while you’re getting stuff organized in your pack, and hit the trail.

I typically like sitting around a campfire but we never built one at night either. Eat a mountain house, filter water for the next day, talk for 30 minutes, and crash out.

It is a good idea to be up on the current fire bans though. One of the guys fell in the creek at night on a trip I wasn’t on, it would be nice to get clothes dried out for the AM.

Fires are for summer camping trips. As stated, when would you have a fire? Not time in the morning and too late/ tired in the evening. About the only time we have one is for the esthetics in the middle of the day. And that’s assuming it’s legal to do so due to fire restrictions.