Major elite tempo bow tuning issues

wybry

FNG
Hey all, ill try to make this short. ive got a brand new elite tempo im trying to get dialed in. I was having issues tuning so i brought it to Wilde Arrow Archery in Utah, and had Jeremiah look at it (if youre not familiar hes damn good and so is his staff) and he pointed out some grip issues, so i had him set the rest (just by eyeballing it) and he shot it twice and got a bullet hole on paper on the second shot. I shot a bunch and was able to get the same. Brought it home and started again working on grip and getting bullet holes with it setup as is. Noticed it was also shooting 2 inches to the left at 5 yards. Started adjusting sight and ran out of room chasing the arrow to the left (rocky mtn 3 pin dove tail slider). So then i thought i should walk back tune to make sure rest (qad ultra) was set. Walk back tune showed arrows going left the further i went back. adjusted rest right (right hand shooter) and started over till i got a perfect line. Seemed to be shooting pretty good other than sight was still set all the way left, with no more room. though it was pretty damn close right now left to right.

From there i decided to shoot paper again since i moved the rest a good 1/4 inch to the right. Ended up having a 3 inch nock right tear. wtf is wrong with this thing? Is it me or the bow? Possible cam lean issue? Where should i go from here?

OP
wybry

wybry

FNG
Also im shooting Victory VAP .166 Elite 300 arrows with a Valkyrie .240 sleeve and 225 grain field point (225 jagger broadhead).

OP
wybry

wybry

FNG
31.5 draw length and its set... im guessing at 60lbs for now.

On an elite I have been setting centershot and then working around it. Should have centershot about 13/16. Could go out to 7/8. If you have moved your rest 1/4" that's way too much. If you move it should only be bumping it 1/32 or less at a time. I'm assuming with the tempo you can change the cam lean with your cable guard? I haven't messed with one.

What length are your arrows cut?

I would try putting a lighter field tip on and see if it gets easier to tune. I don't know what the sleeve weight is but my guess is you are pushing that spine a bit too much. 31.5" is pretty long draw to contend with, even at lower poundage. Also might be you are actually drawing 63-64#.

OR Archer

WKR
Put the rest back where it initially was when you were shooting bullet holes. Once you are back take the head off of your sight and remount it on the other side of the bracket. You will now have more windage adjustment. That’s a common flaw with that sight in not having enough left adjustment without mounting it on the inside. I have to do that on every bow I put that sight on.

Release hand, is the d loop twisting with release. Anchor points. Try shooting with virtually no facial pressure. I’ve seen both those bottom out a sight, might need to correct those just like your grip.

Hard to say stiff or weak arrow because those Valkyrie centerpins are so long and what arrow length?

A couple other things you have working against you as well. Curse of the long draw. You will have more trouble getting absolutely perfect bullet holes with long arrows compared to other guys. Slow arrow speeds, bet you are below 260fps with your current setup, which makes the perfect release and perfect bullet holes even more difficult with long draw. Add extreme foc to all this and its starts all compounding.

My suggestion, go buy one Easton Axis 300 with the standard HIT insert(16gr) and 100gr field point, see how that paper tunes before you start messing with your bow again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Sounds like a sight issue more then a bow issue. If you were tuned well why not retun it to the original rest postion and either adjust the sight mount postion or use a sight with enough travel.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same bow and a similar issue. I have a MBG ascent and have pretty much maxed it out to the left. I'm at 32"/ 70lb. As far as hunting goes, just get it so its repeatable (hit well at different yardages). I have tried several different things to fix it (re-tuning, moving nock point) and not much has worked. I am going to start messing with the cables / cable pressure and see if that will help.

OP
wybry

wybry

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. Currently at work and will try a few things when I get home. But here's some more info, I tried my old arrows, carbon express 350 with 100 grain field point and got the same results. Put rest back to where I was getting bullet holes and started to walk back tune and point of impact started going to the left again. Ive since moved the sight mount position to the other side of the dovetail mount to gain me some more left adjustment. My arrows are pretty short compared to my draw. I cant remember what exact length they are but I do know the sleeve at full draw is only about an 1/2-3/4 inch in front of the rest.

Tonight I will shoot some more and really pay attention to release hand and facial pressure. As well as sight level. The level on that sight is a little hard to see, the bubble is small, i'm not super impressed with this sight but it was within budget.

On an elite I have been setting centershot and then working around it. Should have centershot about 13/16. Could go out to 7/8. If you have moved your rest 1/4" that's way too much. If you move it should only be bumping it 1/32 or less at a time. I'm assuming with the tempo you can change the cam lean with your cable guard? I haven't messed with one.

What length are your arrows cut?

I would try putting a lighter field tip on and see if it gets easier to tune. I don't know what the sleeve weight is but my guess is you are pushing that spine a bit too much. 31.5" is pretty long draw to contend with, even at lower poundage. Also might be you are actually drawing 63-64#.

Just was looking at the tune manual, playing with an energy 32 right now. I thought centershot ran to 7/8". Manual says 3/4"-13/16". I'd put your rest right there and start over.

You should be able to rotate the cable guard either toward or away from the arrow, one of those directions will help you pull the rest to the right IF it is outside the recommended 13/16" or 7/8". The elites have a thicker riser side to side and the sight windage bar is often an issue depending on tune, grip and arrow spine.

OP
wybry

wybry

FNG
You should be able to rotate the cable guard either toward or away from the arrow, one of those directions will help you pull the rest to the right IF it is outside the recommended 13/16" or 7/8". The elites have a thicker riser side to side and the sight windage bar is often an issue depending on tune, grip and arrow spine.
Im not sure I totally follow you. with the centershot ill measure it tonight and see where im at. I set it back to where Wilde Arrow Archery had it when it was shooting bullet holes. The first part of your message you are referring to the cable rollers? Your last sentence is referring to a separate issue of not having enough left adjustment correct? I have moved my sight to the left side of my dovetail bracket, seems solid and should work.

Thanks all, ill check the centershot tonight and start all over. Ill also try my best to check the sight level (without bow level tools) with a regular level. Im really hoping its a bow level issue or possible release hand issue and not the bow itself. Otherwise who wants to buy an elite tempo? :ROFLMAO: September is coming up fast I need to get this thing dialed in!!

OR Archer

WKR
Tempo has a roller guard so that’s not an option.

OP
wybry

wybry

FNG
Ok fellas, i pulled the sight off, found a square wall and used my 4ft level and found that the sight level was off quite a bit. adjusted and then reset my centershot, started at .75 like mentioned above, did some walk back tuning and ended up with it set to about .78" Its now shooting bullet holes if i do everything right in my grip. Pretty happy, thanks for the info, and talking me through it. Next up, making a sight tape!