Make My Pack More Efficient

Looks pretty good to me. Only things I can think of are:

-Ditch the Nalgene/steripen for smart water/Sawyer

-“Med/Battery/Teeth/Aqua Mira/Fire” break this down to see where that 7+ ounces is coming from.

-A tarp and a tent? Maybe leave the tarp in the truck and split the tent between you.

-You can buy the Victorinox SAK style pens from Walmart . They are pressurized like a space pen and weigh almost nothing (small weight loss… I know). I took a Victorinox Swiss Army Walker and modified one of the scales to hold one of those pens. That’s my general use pocket knife/small wood saw/can & bottle opener/tweezer/toothpick/pen/backup skinning knife. (Benchmade Altitude is my primary skinner).

-Don’t be afraid to take tools to your gear to get rid of excess weight. Just make sure you are sure. I generally don’t take scissors or a hacksaw to anything that costs more than $20 until I’ve used it in the field a few times. Then I start cutting.

Attachments

• FE43C6A6-921D-4E3B-BE33-AF5823427E27.png
    FE43C6A6-921D-4E3B-BE33-AF5823427E27.png
    344.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Also…
-Either bring the spotter and leave it in the truck. Decide if you actually feel handicapped without it. If you do (depending on how far you are from the truck) you can pick it back up if a day hunt brings you in range of it. Or…

-Ditch the tarp and one of you carry the spotter while the other carries the tent.

-That’s a pretty heavy tripod. Maybe buy a smaller tripod that you use while sitting? I took a cheap Nikon tripod and modified it so it’s right at 17 oz.

-Bring less toilet paper. If there will be snow, nothing gets you cleaner than a handful of wet snow. It’s like a backcountry bidet.

Last edited: