Make your kids' hunting/hiking pants?

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
So, has anyone done it? I have a couple of boys and want to get them into the back country with me and they're chomping at the bit to go. But, jeans aren't exactly high up on the list of good materials to take them in... And couple the price of gee whiz hunting clothing with kids who will wear them for a season, or two at max before they're outgrown, and there's no way I'm spending the cash on that. Plus, there's a lot of other gear we need to be safe and at least somewhat comfortable after hiking in.

So, now I'm thinking of making them clothes with good material that won't just hang onto water indefinitely like cotton. Has anyone else gone this route? Is there an obvious off the shelf choice I'm missing? If you've made some pants or other gear, I'd love to hear what materials you used and how you liked it and if you used purchased patterns or made your own. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeremy

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Little harder with kids I suspect but in general hard to imagine being cost effective to make pants vs wait for mass produced stuff to be on sale. Personally I like the eddie baurer pro guide and chino pants and basically live in them. I buy when they are on sale for $40-50 and can't imagine trying to make a similar pant for the money. I'd look around at what brands carry technical kids stuff and then look for sales (like sierra trading post or such). Cabelas has some kids lines, ever have them try anything on there? They have sales all the time.

Yeah could probably shop sales and do pretty good.
If not do you have any clothes that you dont wear anymore? Could use that as a source of fabric.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have so much gear for me that I can start cutting them up. I guess I can go look into some sales, I just don't see paying $40 for some pants that my kid will outgrow in a year and get 1 season out of. If I could find them on sale for $20, maybe that's a lot more doable. Guess I'll have to look more into the options and see what will work best. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeremy

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sewing a good pair of pants seems like it would be worth more than $40 by far if you ask me. ;) Spend that time on other gear making... If anything I'd look at getting a pair that is too large and adding an adjustable waist and hemming the bottoms, so you can enlarge them as they grow over a couple seasons?

I think that unless you're comfortable at a sewing machine, you're better of spending your time elsewhere. I spent a LOOONG time making three pairs of pants and I'm not satisfied with any of them.
What about buying some sort of khaki-weight pants and hitting them with some dye? You're not likely to find non-cotton, but spending some quality time at the goodwill and getting a tube of dye (maybe look up tie-dye technique, but use earthy colors?) or some charcoal.
Dunno, just thinking on my keyboard..........

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not really one to worry too much about camo on the clothing, more the material. I've done the cotton stuff so far because it's mostly been day trip situations. But, if we are packing in and some weather comes in, I'd rather have the kiddos in something that could actually dry. Materials in earth tones, etc. I think are good enough, but could certainly customize them which could be fun with the boys, too.

Jeremy

Felix40

WKR
Ive been thinking the same exact thing. Im fairly decent with a sewing machine so I think I could handle it. I feel like a dick not having decent stuff for my kid to wear. He just turned two so I never really take him for more than a day but when he starts going on longer trips i will definitely make him some clothes. Sems like it would be pretty easy to rip the seams on some cheap pants and use them as a pattern. Im not sure what to use for the fabric though. Cotton defintely a no go for kids in the backcountry. Its just a fact that kids are going to get wet when they are outside.

If you do decide to go DIY route, I ordered quick-dry fabrics from Rockywoods. Supplex Nylon. Has a bit of a cottony feel if you're really optimistic. $6/yd. Good weight. I would be interested if you find any better-feeling fabric.
Taslan Nylon Fabrics Textured for soft hand Durable water repellent finish
I got the Safari Tan. Haven't done anything with that yet, was supposed to be my next try, but I lost steam on the project. Some day.
This series is really good: Sewing Jeans Part 1, The Pattern & Cutting Out - YouTube
Best I could find for free instructions. I made my own patterns based on a pair of Levis. I think I would have had better success if I'd broken down and bought a pattern. I still might.

The kings camo is a good idea.
They sell a ton of stuff cheap at the western hunt expo.
They have a warehouse or showroom off of i15 in utah south of the cables too

GKPrice

Banned
quite a few good suggestions for finding deals on kids' outdoor stuff - I've been buying my grandson Sitka Gear kids pants and jackets since he was 8, fit good - styled well - retail isn't nearly as hard a hit as for us adults, I think Sitka has a sale for kid's sized clothes in December too - Maybe Rokslide should create a classified section just for kid's stuff, I know there'll be some of my GS's soon enough to sell

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Coues-Those deals from Kings looks pretty good, but I'm hoping to move away from cotton for the boys.

Archer-I'll definitely check out those links. I'd heard previously of the taslan nylon, thanks for pointing me that way. I'll also have to check out the YouTube video.

I'll also keep an eye out at thrift stores and the classifieds. Thanks everyone.

Jeremy