Making Howa magazines fit flush

I know there is a tutorial thread on this forum somewhere that a fellow did a while back, but in case anyone is looking to do this with their Howa magazine, here are a few pictures from my latest hack job. I've done this now on both Howa Mini's (7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel) and now this Howa Alpine in 7mm-08. With a little patience and just a hacksaw and a file, this is a pretty easy project to complete in about 20 minutes. Less if you're handier than I am at the workbench.

One thing to point out is that I cut down the surplus plastic spacers at the bottom of the magazine follower so the spring will compress a bit more and make that 3rd round fit real easy.

You'll also notice where I trimmed the magazine release lever so it doesn't get bumped unnecessarily. I can still work it with my fingertip just fine. I've never had a magazine come loose or drop out on me with either of my Howa mini's, and I have dragged them through all kinds of crap in the past few years. I don't anticipate any issues with this rifle now either.

Done correctly, these magazines are super reliable and feed smooth as silk.

Feel free to ask questions if the pictures don't explain it all.
IMG_3723.JPGIMG_3724.JPGIMG_3725.JPGIMG_3726.JPGIMG_3728.JPGIMG_3729.JPG

Last edited:
That's not very flush, but definitely shorter. See photos for flush. Howa/Mossberg 1550. 5 rounds in standard calibers. Howa made these in the past so why not make them now?
4c778f3952472c3b77ae8d2183596230.jpg
9d9cb20539886be17ea2319fd22cd847.jpg

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Well, we can't change history, so this is as flush as we're gonna get with a Howa DBM setup right now.

Just trying to help the members here. I know I like my rifles a lot better with these flush magazines.