Making sure I’m not wasting money - MT preference points

TheCougar

WKR
Quick question. I currently have 1 MT general license preference point from last year. (I applied last year, but was unsuccessful). This year, I can apply for a Pref Point only, but next year I have to apply for a tag or lose them all, right? Just want to make sure I’m not going to waste $100…. Reading the regs, since I applied last year, I can build another preference point this year without applying for a license. At least that’s what I glean from MT’s new rules.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure you will lose that point you do have if u don't apply this year.. anyway, you can buy a point going into the draw so u would have 2 points.

bsnedeker

WKR
I always recommend people call FWP to be 100% sure, and the previous post demonstrates why....you applied last year, you can not apply this year and you will not lose your points. If you don't apply NEXT year you will lose them.

But please call FWP. They will give you the correct answer.

I'm in the same boat as you (bought a point with application in 2021, but didn't draw). Planning to buy point only this year (2022) and buy point/apply in 2023 with 3 points. I emailed FWP and got in writing that I will not lose my existing point if I don't apply this year. Makes me feel a little better in case something funny happens and they try to take my point.
Last year was my first time not drawing after being successful on the BG Combo 6 or 7 years in a row, so I was due. AK Moose this year, then back to MT in 23.

MrRogers

FNG
Also in the same boat, OP. Applied last year with one preference point and didn't draw. Was planning on buying a point this summer and then buying another when I apply in 2023, so I should have three points (I think).

bsnedeker

WKR
Kind of bummed to hear about how many people will have 3 points in 2023!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And they will ALL be applying next year. You'll probably be better off at zero points than 1 (true last year) or even 2.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

My interpretation is you should be good to just buy a point this year.

I took last year off in MT after having elk tags there the prior 6 years. Applied yesterday and it seems not only are the odds getting worse (high demand in general for elk tags + the outfitter PP welfare), hunting on public getting worse, but the price went up substantially too.

Used to be a no-brainer and my basic go to opportunity state but with all this BS there's a good chance I dont even play the game in MT after I burn bonus points. Wouldn't have predicted that a year or two ago.

Erict

WKR
Quick question. I currently have 1 MT general license preference point from last year. (I applied last year, but was unsuccessful). This year, I can apply for a Pref Point only, but next year I have to apply for a tag or lose them all, right? Just want to make sure I’m not going to waste $100…. Reading the regs, since I applied last year, I can build another preference point this year without applying for a license. At least that’s what I glean from MT’s new rules.
If you had 1 PP last year and did not apply FOR A DEER OR ELK LICENSE this year, you failed to apply in consecutive years, so on or about April 1, 2022, your accumulated PP should be deleted. You can apply for a PP from July 1-Dec 31, 2022 and go into March 2023 application period carrying 1 PP.

I have said it elsewhere, but it is my understanding that you can always start off with a PP only, but ONCE YOU HAVE A PP, YOU MUST APPLY FOR A COMBO LICENSE EVERY YEAR OR YOUR ACCUMULATED PP WILL BE DELETED.

The exact wording of the regulation is below, which may not ready exactly what it says in the regulation booklet. Read (ii) closely. Application deadline is soon, so call Montana FWP Licensing and get their answer in writing.

Montana HB 637:

The department shall delete the an applicant's accumulated preference points if the applicant:
(i) obtains a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license; or
(ii) does not apply for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license in consecutive years.
(b) If an applicant is unsuccessful in drawing a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license, the department shall
allow the applicant to keep and apply preference points to subsequent drawings if done in consecutive year

bsnedeker

WKR
You are reading that wrong. It says if you "Do not apply in consecutive years" you lose your point.

That doesn't mean you need to apply every year. It means you will lose your point if you don't apply for 2 years in a row (2 consecutive years).

You must apply every other year at minimum to not lose your points.

Erict

WKR
You are reading that wrong. It says if you "Do not apply in consecutive years" you lose your point.

That doesn't mean you need to apply every year. It means you will lose your point if you don't apply for 2 years in a row (2 consecutive years).

You must apply every other year at minimum to not lose your points.

If the Buffalo Bills win the Super Bowl in 2022 and 2023 they will have won in "consecutive" years. If they win in 2022 and 2024, "every other year", then this is not consecutive wins. If you apply "every other year" that is not consecutive.

The exact wording, again, is "The department shall delete the an applicant's accumulated preference points if the applicant...does not apply for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license in consecutive years."

Examples - Maybe someone can counter these conclusions:

1. 2021 apply for PP only, 2022 apply for PP only. I have failed to apply for a B-10 or B-11 in consecutive years and will lose my accumulated PP (the one from 2021).

2. 2021 apply for combo license, 2022 apply for PP only. I have failed to apply for a B-10 or B-11 in consecutive years but as I didn't have any "accumulated" PP, I don't lose anything.

3. 2021 apply for combo license w/PP, 2022 apply for PP only. I have failed to apply for a B-10 or B-11 in consecutive years and will lose my accumulated PP (the one from 2021).

bsnedeker

WKR
If the Buffalo Bills win the Super Bowl in 2022 and 2023 they will have won in "consecutive" years. If they win in 2022 and 2024, "every other year", then this is not consecutive wins. If you apply "every other year" that is not consecutive.

The exact wording, again, is "The department shall delete the an applicant's accumulated preference points if the applicant...does not apply for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license in consecutive years."

Examples - Maybe someone can counter these conclusions:

1. 2021 apply for PP only, 2022 apply for PP only. I have failed to apply for a B-10 or B-11 in consecutive years and will lose my accumulated PP (the one from 2021).

2. 2021 apply for combo license, 2022 apply for PP only. I have failed to apply for a B-10 or B-11 in consecutive years but as I didn't have any "accumulated" PP, I don't lose anything.

3. 2021 apply for combo license w/PP, 2022 apply for PP only. I have failed to apply for a B-10 or B-11 in consecutive years and will lose my accumulated PP (the one from 2021).
I'm sorry you are having a difficult time understanding it. It does not say you need to apply in consecutive years. It says if you DO NOT APPLY in consecutive years you lose your points.

I can't put it any more clearly than that. Good luck to you.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
So on that topic, if last year I purchased a PP only, and this year I apply for a difficult to draw hunt in the hopes of not drawing and solely retaining the PP, do I only get back 80% of the license fee in order to keep that second PP? After reading and re-reading the application page that seems to be the case but wanted to be sure.

bsnedeker

WKR
So on that topic, if last year I purchased a PP only, and this year I apply for a difficult to draw hunt in the hopes of not drawing and solely retaining the PP, do I only get back 80% of the license fee in order to keep that second PP? After reading and re-reading the application page that seems to be the case but wanted to be sure.

This one I'm not 100% on, but my understanding is that if you are successful in your draw for the general, but unsuccessful in drawing your permit you still lose your preference points. If that's true it would really suck but that's what I've been told.

I would call FWP on that one for sure though.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sorry you are having a difficult time understanding it. It does not say you need to apply in consecutive years. It says if you DO NOT APPLY in consecutive years you lose your points.

I can't put it any more clearly than that. Good luck to you.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding it too, because this comment makes no sense to me. If you lose your points by skipping a year, that's the exact same thing as saying that you must apply every year.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding it too, because this comment makes no sense to me. If you lose your points by skipping a year, that's the exact same thing as saying that you must apply every year.
You lose your points by skipping two years, not one year. If I don’t apply in 2022 and 2023, I did not apply in consecutive years and I lose my points. If I skip 2022 but apply in 2023, I did not skip consecutive years and I keep my points.

fatlander

WKR

Preference points are what apply for a general elk combo.

Bonus points are what apply to limited entry (elk permit) tags.

As a non resident, you cannot be entered in the limited entry elk drawing without first drawing a general tag. Therefore, you’re losing your preference points if you draw the general tag, the limited entry tag has no bearing on that.

So, if you go for the 80% refund, you’ve burnt your preference points because you did in fact draw a general tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk