Making the choice: Rifle vs Archery

I no longer buy the argument that there are less crowds in archery season... not after what I saw this year. Archery elk hunting is the flat-brimmed insta-book cool sport anymore.

That said, I prefer to hunt elk during the rut when they are bugling. I hunt both methods on the same tag, but prefer archery.

I'll amend my "archery" vote to say: hunt the rut regardless of weapon choice. Bugling elk are the most fun thing in the world. Once that ends, it's a grind. So, I vote for archery just because it's rut time. Rifle can be a blast too, but I feel like "archery (rut)" season is a completely different hunt than "rifle (post rut)". To me elk hunting isn't just one thing, it's at least 2 differerent ways of hunting.

Thomas11

WKR
We were torn between this for the 2020 season (OTC Colorado). Some things that tipped the scales to archery for us were:
1. Longer season
2. Less people (comparing OTC rifle to OTC archery)
3. Less chance of something like a big snow storm causing all kinds of trouble
4. Better chance at catching peak rut (didn’t quite work out)

That said, I’m not sure what I will do next time. As you know, archery hunting is just way more difficult. We could have gone 3 for 3 with rifles or even muzzle loaders (grantees the elk might have not been in the same area in Oct...though we found them pretty low). Honestly, I’d probably do some sort of firearm next time, but I’m also not a hard core bow hunter either.
So I’ve hubted elk for about 8 yrs. first 4 yrs were archery. Had opportunities. Never closed the deal. The last four yrs w either rifle or muzzy, I’ve taken three 6 pts w a couple really nice ones and been part of two other bulls being taken. One of them this yr was really a stroker of an elk especially in CO. Opening day first rifle on CO was some of the most bugling, fighting rut action I’ve witnessed anywhere or anytime. They must have bugled 300 times within first hr of light and were fighting like it was no tommroow. And unless u have a limited archery license the OTC will be just as crowded if not more than rifle season. So if u want to go enjoy the weather w the outside chance of killing something go archery. If u want to kill pick up the gun. There is a reason across the board, the rifle success is higher than archery.

When you went this year, how were the crowds during Archery? Not that this would make my decision for me, I'm sure I'll have to deal with people no matter what, just curious is all.

Some good points made here, I didn't think about the rifle season being short. And hearing some of the input, I feel like archery could have better odds at producing weather patterns that could be a little easier on someone who is on their first trip. I don't have to kill something to have a good trip, its all part of the game, but I would at least like the best chance at seeing elk

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The crowds were not as bad as expected. We only ran into other hunters in the field twice, and one those times was on the way back close to the truck. We saw elk 5 of 7 days, and I missed one on the second to last day.

That said, we had to think pretty creatively to get away from other hunters. If we went anywhere that on the map looked elky, the parking area and road leading up to it were full of hunters.

When planning a hunt for the following year, what factors affected or ultimately decided for you which weapon you would use for your elk hunt? I consider myself proficient in both, but having never been on an elk hunt, I'm torn as to which to try for on the draws for Colorado and New Mexico. I know its a long ways out for next season, I get that, but later next month we will be doing our annual vacation picks for next year, and I'd like to be able to commit to a time frame for the guaranteed time off. Would just like to hear from others what your deciding factors were.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I like archery more. If I go home empty handed, at least with archery hunting I got to spend week+ listening to bulls during the rut and trying to chase them down. Later season rifle can be hit or miss.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
If I am doing it myself, or if I have a full freezer, archery.

If I am paying a guide/spending alot of money, or if I have an empty freezer, rifle.

Don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread but why the change if it’s guided vs diy?

I prefer archery. Something about hunting elk in the rut just decides for me every time. And bonus you get a month to hunt vs a week

KsRancher

WKR
I have only been Co archery. Tag soup every year. This fall will be taking the rifle. Could have shot a bull every day I was there if had a rifle. I have enough points to draw the unit I want. So hopefully get my first elk this fall