Making the switch to Seek outside pack

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all

I currently own a MR marshall and a pintler which have served me well. I have really
Like the look of the new SO packs. It will mostly be used as a day pack but will also be used on a 7-10 day sheep hunt every year. I have mostly been looking at a custom pack in the 4800
Or the 5400. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated

sndmn11

WKR
I'd go 6300 for the sheep hunt. I'd also recommend the merlin talon. Enjoy!
Same boat here, I regularly use the Merlin outside of my pack to keep things handy. I also think that with how thin the bags can be squished down to, there isn't much reason to not go big on bag size. I use the Saker and will never fill that thing full of gear, but like having the room to compress the bag rather than mash stuff into it.

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to order with the top lid and the lanner style pockets on front of bag. I likely not get the break away meat shelf just stay with internal. I’m on the fence with the full length zip also

Mine is the Fortress 6300. Zipper is personal preference. A little more weight and less watertight vs. not having easy access into the pack. It was an easy choice for me to go zipperless. I wanted as waterproof as I could get. Also for my trips, its typically lugging in - in which case I keep things I need in the Merlin at in the top of the pack. Once I'm on location, everything gets unloaded at camp and the pack turns into a daypack for hunting and hauling and the zipper is pretty much a non-issue.

I moved away from the top lids. Had one on my Kifaru and it always had kind of a tacked on feel to it - and the SO ones looks similar to me. That's why I went the Merlin route instead. But to each their own and its very cool to have so many choices. I'm sure my next one will be "custom" SO route, although it will still be a 6300 zipperless of some flavor - so not substantially different from what I have now.

Enjoy the heck out of whatever you choose!

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
I went through a similar debate as you, Going from a MR Metcalf to a seek outside. I debated forever whether to get a Lanner 5400 or the Fortress 6300 and ended up with the 6300. In the end, I liked the option to have more room if i needed it. The bags weigh so little and compress down so much I don’t see any penalty moving up in bag size.

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
So how would you compare with the MR. Do you prefer the SO over the MR? I like the MR just find the waist belt slips when load gets heavy

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
That was my issue too. I could never get the belt to stay put. The SO fits me a lot better, not sure if it’s the waist belt or the lumbar pad or the slightly curved frame shape. But it’s more comfortable no question.

The SO is lighter for sure but that wasn’t a determining factor for me at all. I like that the bags and frame can be configured and adjusted differently. The straps and attachment points are well thought out and can accommodate nearly anything you want.

I haven’t packed an animal out yet with the SO, but otherwise I like the pack considerably more than the MR. There’s nothing wrong with MR, just didn’t fit how I wanted.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
FYI - I usually use a Lanner / Spectra / Integrated .. barely over 3.5 lbs. I can fit 10 days of lightweight gear . Real size is more like 6300 - 6400 ... the 5400 is the main bag. However, a very close option for me is a 4800 or 6300 with a merlin .. which as others state they use often away from it. The total volume off Melin and 6000 series is more like 7500. There is very little penalty for going with bigger bags. I could run either setup and be very happy.

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I like that the 5400 bags come with the extra pocket on the top of the bag.

Rokwiia

WKR
Another Revolution 6,300 owner here, which comes with a Talon. I added a top lid and two belt pouches. I never enter the woods without my chest pack which docks to the SO backpack.

That gives me plenty of space for things I may want to access without ever having to access the main bag. No zipper either.

I'm pretty sure the weight penalty between the 6,300 and 4,800 is only 3oz. No reason not to get all that extra space especially because it will be in the main X-Pac bag.

Ten Bears

WKR
Just ordered a custom 6300 in Spectre. Ran with the mesh back and tall side pockets. My Kifaru Lite frame with same size bag was a hair under 7lbs, losing a legit 3lbs. Really excited to try out the SO set up and lose the weight and keep the performance. Gonna miss the layout of the Hoodlum bag though, great bag.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Goshawk 4800 w lid and Merlin. At first I found it cumbersome to have both on the Goshawk: too many straps and moving parts going on. So for hunting this coming fall, I figured I'd just run the Merlin, no lid, to reduce the complexity. After playing around with it a bunch, though, I've figured a slick and quick way to run both on the pack. I just attach gatekeeper straps from the lid right to the top tabs of the Merlin. This makes access into the top of the bag quick as well, and actually helps keep the Merlin higher up which I like. So now I've kept the quick access of the top of the pack, and have 2 quickly detachable pieces for changing it up.
I'm always thinking speed and efficiency for packing, and a 6300 will let you stuff gear into your pack faster without having to be too careful with packing layout. If I was starting again, I'd probably just get a 6300 with Merlin for organization, but now that I've played around with my setup, I'm super happy again. 4800 will work just fine for me on 4-7 day hunts, it just won't hold as much meat internally like a 6300 would.

Chet518

FNG
Go with the bigger bag breakaway you won't be disappointed. Top notch people at seek! Get the big bag you can get a smaller bag and swap it later if you want.

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the help. I get what your saying but for 90% will be a day pack and then do some weekend and a 1 week backcountry hunt each year. I really like the shape and look of the lanner. I’m going to add a top lid no matter what bag I buy

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Although the 5400 and 6300 are pretty much the same price. I just think that the 6300 is a huge bag. Do many of you use the 5400 or the 6300 as day packs. Do you find that when you compress the pack that the side pockets don’t work very well? I’m going to get the lanner face pocket and I think that works well compressed or not

I had this custom bag made as a no frills, lightweight, weather proof, sheep hunt bag but moved to stone glacier frames before ever using it. The multicam is a lighter xpac than the green stuff.

It’s still unused and I’ll sell it for half of what I paid.

Just ordered a custom 6300 in Spectre. Ran with the mesh back and tall side pockets. My Kifaru Lite frame with same size bag was a hair under 7lbs, losing a legit 3lbs. Really excited to try out the SO set up and lose the weight and keep the performance. Gonna miss the layout of the Hoodlum bag though, great bag.
Have you used the seek outside bag? How was it compared to kifaru? Trying to decide between the two brands