Malta, MT/ Missouri River Breaks

Curious if anyone has a recommendation on a meat processor/ freezer and/or a taxidermist near Malta or anywhere else reasonably accessible from the northern Missouri River Breaks units (620-621-622).

Thanks for any recommendations.

hobbes

WKR
Google shows BorderLand Taxidermy just north of Malta. I'm not familiar with them but Facebook photos look pretty good. I would want to see the work in person. I don't know about freezers or processors there.

Glasgow is about an hour east and has a couple processors that I've seen. There also a taxidermist south of town, but I'm not familiar with their work.

Something to be aware of. Most of that area is CWD zone, so you can't transport bones or brain matter from one district to the next. Meat will need to be deboned and brain matter removed from the skull plate.

Last edited:
OP
M
Thanks, hobbes! Great point point about CWD. Looking at the 2019 CWD Zone Map I believe 620, 621 and 622 are just south of the Northern Zone. So that's helpful as far as transferring the meat. If timing allows I will try to get up to Malta to let them test the animal.

If you've seen an updated map for 2020 that has those units in it let me know.

MThuntr

WKR
Depending on where you're camped it may not be much further to go to Lewistown. Judith Mtn Meats or Stahl's (Hutterite Colony west of Grass Range)

EDIT: good call on the CWD issue...might want to confirm 2020 boundaries and rules.

OP
M
Thanks, mthuntr. I'm hoping to stay north of the river/reservoir.

Glasgow is a good option because we will be headed that way on our way home so we can stop in and pick it up.

Gumbo

WKR
Google shows BorderLand Taxidermy just north of Malta. I'm not familiar with them but Facebook photos look pretty good. I would want to see the work in person. I don't know about freezers or processors there.

Glasgow is about an hour east and has a couple processors that I've seen. There also a taxidermist south of town, but I'm not familiar with their work.

Something to be aware of. Most of that area is CWD zone, so you can't transport bones or brain matter from one district to the next. Meat will need to be deboned and brain matter removed from the skull plate.

I have a deer at Borderland Taxidermy now, hopefully he does a good job! There is also a processor in Malta that does a great job, although I can't remember their name.

Finally, I think that FWP did away with the no moving bones/heads out of CWD zones because the 2020 regs make no mention of it. Probably because a large percentage of the state is now a CWD zone.

El_fuego

FNG
Go see izzie at hi line meats in Glasgow. He’s in the alley behind the gas station opposite from McDonald’s. Absolutely the best butcher you will find anywhere! Prices are awesome and he’s real quick. There’s also treasure trail in town, but they were closed on the opener this past year.

A buddy had bull mounted in Lewistown (Twin Sister's Taxidermy) and the guy did incredible work and was really fun to visit with.

A local I trust also recommended the one at Bohemian Corner near Roy, MT, but I can't find any internet stuff on them.

Archbull

FNG
I've had a few whitetail processed in Glasgow before I headed out in the past. Can't remember the name of the company. They did a good job. Just off main street.

S.Clancy

WKR
There's a meat processor in Saco (~26 miles east of Malta on HWY 2) that does good work. We always get his pepper sticks from thr grocery store there when we're uo for pheasant opener

Does anyone know how accessible the river would be from hwy 200 on the west end of 621. I know Theres a launch but not sure how big of a boat would make it on that water.