Mammut Trovat Fit

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at ordering a pair of Mammut Trovat Guide II boots. For those of you who've worn these, how's the fit? True to size?

I searched the archives and have found people discussing the last profile and stiffness, but not fit size.

Thanks.

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Redwing
I picked up a pair of mammut trovat advanced high gtx boots off ebay for a steal a couple years ago. They were my normal size of 11. They are just a tick too small. As long as I don't wear too thick of socks and lock my heel in good... I'm fine. Most of the research I did said to order half a size bigger and that all mammut boots seem to run a hair small...but for 90 bucks...I had to take a chance! Still wearing them for long haul hikes and loving them...just a bit heavy.

OP
Redwing

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Redwing
I picked up a pair of mammut trovat advanced high gtx boots off ebay for a steal a couple years ago. They were my normal size of 11. They are just a tick too small. As long as I don't wear too thick of socks and lock my heel in good... I'm fine. Most of the research I did said to order half a size bigger and that all mammut boots seem to run a hair small...but for 90 bucks...I had to take a chance! Still wearing them for long haul hikes and loving them...just a bit heavy.
Much appreciated! Exactly the info I was looking for. I'm a 12.25, so I'll definitely bump these up a half size.

Saw this old thread. How are you doing in the Mammut Trovat boots? I am looking at them as well. How do they compare in any other boots you have owned?

I have a pair mammut Ducan High GTX and they run a half size small IMO. Don’t know if this helps though.

Last edited:
It does, I ended up ordered my true size. but I can also send exchange those if they are too small

OP
Redwing

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Follow-up on these boots since I started the thread...

These boots do run a touch small. Thanks to @BobbyMac s reccomendation I ordered these in a size 12.5 for my size 12 feet. They fit well.

I like boots with a roomy toe-box and a snug heel. These boots are just that. I was looking for a more durable and waterproof boot than the Salomon Quest 4d but with a similar fit, and these Mammuts are the best I've found after trying and owning Meindl Comfort Fits, Lowa Caminos, Salewa Mtn Trainers, and Zamberlan Vioz. The Trovat Guide GTX are a bit stiffer than I need in a boot, a "4" on the GoHunt 1-5 scale. They seem very robust and well made and I don't doubt they'll hold up well. I like the lacing system more than any boot I've tried besides the Camino. There is a definite rocker in the forefoot which takes some getting used to, but that has smoothed out as the boot broke in. I have maybe 25 miles on them now and they're starting to feel really good.

I'm going to try the Trovat Advanced GTX next, which is supposedly the same last but more flexible. It has metal eyelets and speed hooks top to bottom, a full rand, and the same memory-foam around the ankle as the Guide. I'll update as I get those broken in. I'm hoping they hit the sweet spot for me.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Mammut makes good boots, some “interesting” newer models but the leather backpacking boots are as legit as any. My current pair is basically an older pair of the above heavier boots, they are going on 10 years old and still going strong. Mammut purchased Raichle boots back in the early 2000’s, and all of the people, lasts, etc went with, now just branded mammut. Raichle made some of the best heavy leather backpacking boots out there. I’ve used a dozen diff pairs and fitted dozens more, I have found they run fairly true to size except people that have a longer big toe or second toe tend to need a 1/2 size up or you bump up against the front of the toe box. Most of their backpacking boots tend to have a roomy (high volume) toe box. The lasts curve to the inside of the foot more than some, which if its a problem for you usually feels like they are narrow on the outside side/front, and there’s dead space on the inside side/front. If going up half a size doesnt help with this, its just the shape of the last and may not be a good fit for you.

how are the mammut ducans working for you? I'm looking for something I can wear that are lighter than my crispi lapponia