Managing a hand held thumb release in the backcountry

pparris3

FNG
So I am going on an elk archery hunt in October and currently refining gear and training. I'm trying to decide whether to bring a wrist release or a hand held thumb release (Stan onnex) which I prefer, but have a much harder time being confident that I will be able to find it when I need it on the hunt and not accidentally drop it somewhere. Does anyone have any solutions to make the thumb release readily available during a hunt besides just putting it in a pocket or tying some paracord to it for a much less comfy wrist strap setup? I would think leaving the release on the string like I do for hunting out of a stand is not such a great idea. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

I do just what sdmn11 does. Paracord wrist strap. Normally clipped to my bino harness and kept in a side pocket opposite my wind checker. I've also always had a backup in my pack.

sndmn11

WKR
I sure as bananas wouldn't want to use a handheld without a wrist strap anyways in the 1:100000 chance my hand slips or I have an issue letting down, I have seen some bad things happen to bows and attachments when that release goes flying.

OP
pparris3

pparris3

FNG
I keep mine in a pocket on my bino harness with a backup in my pack.
I like this idea. I guess I hadn't really thought of it because I don't hunt with a bino harness very often at all. I may be going with this option just because accessibility is better than a pants pocket.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I like this idea. I guess I hadn't really thought of it because I don't hunt with a bino harness very often at all. I may be going with this option just because accessibility is better than a pants pocket.
I don’t see how digging it out of a pocket on a bino harness (probably zippered or Velcroed shut) would be handier than reaching into a front pants pocket? I have nothing but my release in that pocket, and it’s right there by my right hand when I need it. YMMV.

OP
pparris3

pparris3

FNG
I don’t see how digging it out of a pocket on a bino harness (probably zippered or Velcroed shut) would be handier than reaching into a front pants pocket? I have nothing but my release in that pocket, and it’s right there by my right hand when I need it. YMMV.
I get that, but I don't love keeping important stuff in pants pockets that don't zip up. I'll be riding horseback for alot of the hunt so just keeping it in a pocket that has positive closure would be better for peace of mind I think!

*zap*

WKR
I used a hook hand held, carter evo and it fit in a zippo lighter case with a snap top. That case went on my bino harness but it could also fit on a belt.....case attached thru an opening so no snap to hold it on.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
look up advanced outdoor technology . I have been using his mounts for about 6 months at both 3d tourneys and hunting . They are solid . quiet . and its one fluid motion to range and grab the release . And I always know where it is .

rideold

WKR
I keep mine in the elastic pocket on the top of my AGC bino pack. It fits pretty tight in there. That said, I do carry a backup wrist release in my pack. I have been playing with replacing the paracord wrist strap on my thumb release with shock cord and then attaching that to one of the loops on the harness of my bino pack. I figure I only need enough stretch to get the release to the D loop since at full draw the release is less than a half a foot from the attachment point so there wouldn't be any pull on the release when anchored. That way the release is attached to me at all times and all I have to do is grab it. I may make an elastic pocket to stow it in so it isn't swinging around or getting caught on stuff.

Last edited:

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
I keep mine in the elastic pocket on the top of my AGC bino pack. It fits pretty tight in there. That said, I do carry a backup wrist release in my pack. I have been playing with replacing the paracord wrist strap on my thumb release with shock cord and then attaching that to one of the loops on the harness of my bino pack. I figure I only need enough stretch to get the release to the D loop since at full draw the release is less than a half a foot from the attachment point so there wouldn't be any pull on the release when anchored. That way the release is attached to me at all times and all I have to do is grab it. I may make an elastic pocket to stow it in so it isn't swinging around or getting caught on stuff.
ALWATS CARRY A BACK UP > it doesnt need to be exact same model , if you cant afford 2 300.00 releases . There are tons of releases both strap and handheld under 100 bux or used for 50.00 . Just do a quick check and see how fr off it might be . I carry my back up with a d loop , in my possibles pouch, Which also has super glue and some tape . Beyond that . Your hosed and walking out anyway . lol

13joshop

FNG
Front pocket has worked for me i keep it set the same way i would hold onto it so I can quickly slip my hand in my pocket and be ready to put it on the string. Also carry a spare in the pack

OP
pparris3

pparris3

FNG
look up advanced outdoor technology . I have been using his mounts for about 6 months at both 3d tourneys and hunting . They are solid . quiet . and its one fluid motion to range and grab the release . And I always know where it is .
I really like the idea of this. How sturdy do they hold? Any chance of it popping out of the mount unintended?

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the idea of this. How sturdy do they hold? Any chance of it popping out of the mount unintended?
no chance what so ever , ITs held on by a magnet first , then a "lever or arm Slides over the release ! I have beat mine up , dropped bow , took it thru 2 different tac events . I mounted mine to the holed where your sight goes . So for me , its 1 motion , I range target , move the dial if needed and grab release ,

This looks very interesting, I've been in the same dilemma. I like this vs any other holster/pocket/etc since no matter what you have on or how you're hunting it's always in the same place.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
I honsetly wasnt too sure at first , but after using it and putting it thru its paces . Im a hard beleiever , and I find it way more convenient and I always know where my release is . I have more than once , left it on a rock or even left it in my pants pocket , switched out clothes , and forgot to grab it . But when I can see it on the bow , its made a whole new world for me .