Managing expectations- Colorado

Captnky

FNG
Heading out to Colorado in two weeks on a mule deer hunt. This will be my 3rd mule deer hunt in my 3rd state. I’ve done about 20 days of mule deer hunting in my life.
Heading into the Zirkel wilderness for the early rifle hunt. Me and my partner have a pretty solid plan, have talked to the local warden and biologist. Backpacking in for 7 days of hunting. As I live in Iowa my scouting been limited to google earth, and Onx. No boots on the ground.
Anyone with Colorado experience help me manage some expectations for this hunt?
Sounds like this country is on the lower side for deer density. I understand some drainages may
Should we be happy if we are glassing up 4 deer a day? 15? 1?

Not looking for any locations, just maybe a better idea of what we should expect. As always, it’s hunting. Nothing is guaranteed but we grateful for the privilege.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heading out to Colorado in two weeks on a mule deer hunt. This will be my 3rd mule deer hunt in my 3rd state. I’ve done about 20 days of mule deer hunting in my life.
Heading into the Zirkel wilderness for the early rifle hunt. Me and my partner have a pretty solid plan, have talked to the local warden and biologist. Backpacking in for 7 days of hunting. As I live in Iowa my scouting been limited to google earth, and Onx. No boots on the ground.
Anyone with Colorado experience help me manage some expectations for this hunt?
Sounds like this country is on the lower side for deer density. I understand some drainages may
Should we be happy if we are glassing up 4 deer a day? 15? 1?

Not looking for any locations, just maybe a better idea of what we should expect. As always, it’s hunting. Nothing is guaranteed but we grateful for the privilege.

I’ve never hunted that area. However I have hunted low density populations in Colorado and I saw 0-20 bucks a day. Just depended on the basin I was looking in. It seems that low density units don’t hold a lot of deer but some great bucks come out of them. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

street

WKR
I was just up in that neck of the woods for a few days scouting. CO in general has been really dry so I don't expect significant antler growth. I did see some decent bucks but the vegetation is definitely lacking compared to laster summer.

I would expect a tough hunt.